CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

Not really as I’m not really a big n64 fan and I don’t even think ParaLLEl is a recommended core to use. Perhaps @hgoda90 or anyone else can be so kind as to refresh our memories as to what combinations are recommended for Mupen64? Is it just the ParaLLEl or Angrylion RDPs that should be changed? Anything else?.

I think the idea is to get the best of compatibility and performance with new features and updates.

1 Like

Mupen64 recommended core options are game dependent. You will just have to test each RDP with each game and see which one works best. The same goes for ParaLLEI with the GFX and RSP plugin settings.

2 Likes

@hgoda90 do you have a recommendation of either of the two cores when it comes to using the presets with?

1 Like

I don’t really have a recommendation for either one. I usually use Mupen64 since using the RDP is faster than finding a combination good for the GFX and RSP plugins with ParaLLEI.

2 Likes

I found something that might help

There are two N64 libretro emulator cores for use on libretro frontends such as RetroArch: Mupen64Plus-Next and ParaLLEl-N64. The former is up-to-date and is recommended for most use cases, while the latter is no longer updated and is only around for performance reasons. They also have access to the following plugins:

• Shared by both cores
    • Video: ParaLLEl-RDP , Angrylion
    • RSP: ParaLLEl-RSP, HLE, CXD4
  • Exclusive to Mupen64Plus-Next
    • GLideN64
  • Exclusive to ParaLLEl-N64
    • glN64, Rice, Glide64

Due to these differences, it is advisable to use Mupen64Plus-Next for general use, and ParaLLEl-N64 for performance.

• General Use (LLE)
    • Core: Mupen64Plus-Next
    • Video: ParaLLEl-RDP
    • RSP: ParaLLEl-RSP
    • By default ParaLLEl-RDP will output at native resolution with all the VI filters on, making it look exactly like Angrylion and the real N64 console. Upscaling must therefore be enabled in the core options. You can also alternatively render at a high resolution and downsample to a lower one if you want to improve 3D without making it stick out from 2D elements too much.
  • General Use (HLE)
    • Video: GLideN64
    • RSP: HLE
    • While GLideN64 also works with the ParaLLEl and CXD4 RSP plugins, using them will cause GLideN64 to switch to its LLE mode, which is currently glitchier and slower than the HLE mode, for few compatibility or accuracy benefits, if any. As such, it is recommended to stick with the HLE RSP for GLideN64.
  • Performance
    • Core: ParaLLEl-N64
    • Video: Glide64
    • RSP: HLE
    • For slow, low-end devices and old PCs only. If further speed is desired or needed, you may try glN64 or Rice, but using them comes at a steep cost in compatibility and accuracy, and many low-end devices in use today ought to be able to handle Glide64 just fine (well, with the exception of certain underpowered “retro gaming” handhelds).
  • Accuracy
    • Video: Angrylion
    • RSP: CXD4
    • Just like the developers intended! If you want to go all out, set the CPU core to Pure Interpreter, turn off multi-threading and set thread sync level to High in Angrylion’s options for the real 30 VI/s experience. Closest you’ll get to real hardware until a complete cycle-accurate N64 emulator surfaces.
2 Likes

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

Some of these NTSC effects can’t be captured properly using regular screenshots so what you see here is not necessarily what you will encounter while playing.

CyberLab_Genesis_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab_Genesis_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab_PSX_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab_PSX_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp (Le’Sarsh)

CyberLab_PSX_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

These presets feature the awesome HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader provided by @HyperspaceMadness and powered by the amazingly versatile CRT-Guest-Advance-NTSC!

Here’s hoping to a bright 2023 filled with even more beautiful shaders and shader presets!

With these new presets I’m hoping that retrogamers around the world can leave 2022 better equipped than when they entered.

3 Likes

I realize this is an old post. As I’ve become more familiar with Cyber’s presets I’ve tried expanded the applications. I have a Series S and can confirm, once the HSM MBZ presets are updated, Cyberlab presets will load.

Be prepared to wait a couple minutes to allow them to load but ‘MBZ__0__Smooth-Advance_Full_Reflections’ will run full speed. If there’s something more demanding in there lmk and I’ll try to run em.

I used ADV file explorer (full trust) to transfer the files into the correct RetroArch folders. Not sure if there’s interest in RA on the Series S|X, but they work.

3 Likes

Yeah, those are currently the heaviest presets.

That’s good news that the Xbox Series S/X can run the Mega Bezel SMOOTH-ADV presets at full speed! :partying_face:

Thanks for sharing your testing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

This was the only issue I ran into when loading Cyber’s presets. Some of the file names were too long. Something to keep in mind if you choose to transfer these over to your Xbox.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. A simple workaround might be to rename the filename that is too long to something like I dunno maybe Bob.slangp then use a batch text editor like Notepad++ and replace all references to the old filename to the new one. For every filename that is too long you can repeat the process using a different name, like I dunno, maybe Sam.slangp and other relatively short names. Eventually I might just shorten my folder names using abbreviations for example ADV instead of Advanced and maybe, STD instead of Standard?

Maybe omit Optimized and just leave 4K, 1440p and 1080p or a combination of all of the above.

You can try any or all of these workarounds before you transfer to your Xbox and you should be good to go.

2 Likes

All good brother. There are so many working sets to explore I’m not gna go insane tryna get those last few the xbox wants to be a pain in the ass about. Appreciate the suggestions. If at some point I use one of those on the cpu and really dig it, then I’ll try one of the rename methods. For now, they’ll stay on the PC.

2 Likes

Maybe by 2060 Microsoft will find a way to allow long file names.

First Mars colony to Earth Base… we have encountered long file names… aborting mission.

4 Likes

A sneak peak at what might be coming in the not too distant future…

CyberLab__Ultimate__Virtual__Slot__Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA.slangp

CyberLab__Ultimate__Virtual__Slot__Mask_IV_OLED_CRT-1P2RTA.slangp (Le’Sarsh)

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp (Le’Sarsh)

Feel free to ask me how I did it.

CRT Shader Presets by CyberLab.