CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

I still love and prefer my OLED. There are always going to be compromises somewhere. I can’t stand blooming and I adore the perfect viewing angles, per pixel dimming that still remains unmatched by any current mainstream TV technology and just the way things look on an OLED TV. Also, not everyone would buy a TV based on its strengths in emulation and CRT simulation alone. Some people just need a TV that is great at almost everything. I wouldn’t recommend an OLED TV to someone who isn’t mixing their content though.

To be honest, I’m not at the level where I’m going to notice a white subpixel messing up the mask. At least I don’t think so yet. I’m not even sure I want that to happen. Ignorance is bliss as the saying goes. I tend to say, once seen something can’t be unseen.

I now use primarily an LED/LCD with horrible blooming and virtually useless local dimming and I almost hate it but I’ve always loved the way it pops in bright and colourful games. Each time it needs to give me black it just has to remind me it’s only IPS. OLED is the cure for that. At least that’s how it felt like to me. Another thing it cured for me was DSE. I’ve had to return TVs because of that.

I also have a 1080p 12bit VA panel that I absolutely love. I think mostly because it does black and darks much better than my IPS LCD.

I wasn’t even aware of this and so it never bothered me. I can understand and appreciate the need to be thorough, accurate and meticulous but I can also appreciate the less than perfect and learning to enjoy and make the most out of whatever you have. There’s always a time and a place for everything. Sometimes you need to be able to balance both.

4 Likes

All that being said, if I could find an affordable HDR 4K LCD monitor that had dimming zones and a full wide color gamut, I would buy two. :grin:

The professional displays that I found while shopping for my new monitors were prohibitively expensive. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

In an ideal world:

OLED for watching movies/shows

Full array LCD for gaming and CRT emulation.

OLED IMO is just not designed for these applications.

2 Likes

Enjoy your life of compromises, then.

Jk, I know what you’re saying and I can appreciate that. However, there’s also something to be said for the near-transcendent experiences one can have when one refuses to compromise on quality.

1 Like

In closing the TV topic for now, I must say that now is not the same as a year ago and my recommendation is based on my own limited experience with what I actually have and also from what others have shared.

Nowadays, miniLED TVs are slowly increasing their presence in the market and it seems as though Dual Cell has actually arrived. I’m sure all of them would come with their pros and cons. So be sure to do your due diligence before purchasing!

Since you liked my Donkey Kong Country video @Digitech, here’s another peak at my upcoming preset pack after some further tweaking and testing!

CyberLab__Computer-Monitor-Raw__ADV_Contra

5 Likes

Hi, I would like to thank you for the great work. I would like to know how I can change the background? I would like to use your presets with Duimon’s overlays.

3 Likes

You can change the reference preset in my preset to point to @Cyber’s preset.

3 Likes

Depending on the preset, it may be a better idea to change the reference preset in Cyber’s, to one of my presets. That way his settings will override mine, just in case.

Just make sure to use one of my presets that coincidences with his reference. (i.e. ADV__GDV* etc.)

3 Likes

I really think we might need some visual guides for common usage scenarios like these. A couple screenshots or a short video clip can go a long way.

You’re welcome and thanks for the show of appreciation! Welcome to Libretro Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay. You can let us know if you were able to get through with combining my Shader Presets with Duimon’s Overlays.

Looking great man!, one of the sharpest with good scanlines

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I think I’m finished with it for now. I have another preview video to share with my latest minor adjustments! What’s special about this preset is that if you go close to the screen, you can see the glowing RGB triads as if it were a real TV/Monitor!

The other thing that makes it stand out is that it’s very sharp but doesn’t exaggerate jaggies at all in most games I’ve tried. It does a great job of concealing jagged edges without filtering, bluring or anti-aliasing algorithms! I put it through the 240p Test Suite and the results are flawless to my eyes.

Here’s a preview of the latest version:

CyberLab__Computer-Monitor-Raw__ADV_Final_Fight

1 Like

Ahhh!! Refreshing! It feels great to be back!!

To celebrate our return, here’s another preview:

CyberLab__Computer-Monitor-Raw__ADV_Street_Fighter_II_Hyper_Fighting

4 Likes

Thanks! I think youre right, it looks the sharpest but without jaggies,what kind of sorcery is this? Great work my friend.

1 Like

Thank you very much! The time is finally upon us!! HSM Mega Bezel 1.0 RC is out and so is the latest and greatest CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack!!

Hope everyone enjoys their holidays even more thanks to our contributions!!

Remember this is not a secret! So spread the word and share the joy!

2 Likes

Hi @Cyber, thanks for your great work! I’m trying the new presets, and Pure Composite is like perfect. I have issues with Sharp and RGB though, they look way more blurrier than Pure Composite, and I don’t think it’s meant to. I’m running the Performance presets optimized for 1440p, as it’s my desktop resolution. Here’s a couple of screen, first is Composite Sharp, second RGB (look at how strange Yoshi’s eyes look). Any idea?

Almost forgot, happy Christmas! =D

2 Likes

@Cyber It’s possible this is related to the negative cropping. Basically an extra 25% has been added to the image for the extra black area. This makes it act as if the image was 25% smaller. Which means 25% more blur in GTU & glow spread in GDV. I will need to compensate for this. So you should avoid compensating for this in your presets for the time being. After I’m done with the compensation it will be back to like it was before any negative cropping was added.

1 Like

Thank you very much @HyperspaceMadness. This issue is news to me as I’ve been focusing on my new Computer Monitor Presets for the past few weeks. I don’t think I changed anything with any of my other presets since 07-12-21. I haven’t even been using any of the older ones either. Anytime I switch back and forth between the previous ones and the new ones, I’m blown away by how much sharper the new ones are and just thought that I’ve made some progress in the sharpness department.

Will the mitigations affect my new Computer Monitor Presets which were all made using the Alpha versions? I feel as though I’ve gotten them to a point of near perfection and I’d be a bit nervous about touching the dial. GTU is definitely the secret sauce in those presets. Glow not so much because that’s set to 0.

If the compensation affects my latest and greatest though, would you be able to give precise settings that will bring those back to the way they are now so I wouldn’t have to eyeball them and trigger my OCD?

This might also explain why virtually all of the other presets in the Experimental folder from Nesguy and BendBombBoom were crazy blurry when I took a look at them not too long ago. I don’t know if you remember me mentioning that. I think I said they were not working properly anymore or something to that effect.

You’re most welcome! I appreciate the positive feedback and appreciation!

Thanks for pointing this out. I really hadn’t noticed this as I almost exclusively use my new Computer Monitor Raw and Sharp presets now and I think you should too!

It seems like this might be caused by some under the hood changes between the previous version and new version of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader. I’m going to have to do some comparisons to confirm. If you had my previous version shader pack and HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader you could have also compared.

Can you type out the full names of the presets so as to avoid any confusion, please?

None of them are supposed to look blurry.

But seriously, try my Computer Monitor Presets in the meantime. You can play around with the MDAPT and ScaleFX settings to suite your taste. MDAPT 3 is for games like Sonic The Hedgehog, you can use MDAPT 2 as a more general purpose de-dither that doesn’t mess up text as often as the super strong 3. For many other games, it’s best to leave it off.

I’ve never really dug up in your previous sets because my PC wasn’t able to run them properly, new Performance presets gave me the chance. The screenshots of the previous post where taken with CyberLab__Composite-Sharp__1440p__PVM-Edition__ADV and CyberLab__RGB-Sharp__1440p__PVM-Edition__ADV. Here’s one with CyberLab__Computer-Monitor-Sharp__1440p__ADV, and as you can notice the problem of the blurriness remains.

For a quick comparison, here’s how Composite Pure looks (perfect, in my opinion).

1 Like