Development Suggestions

You actually make a good point of why they should never delete users ever!

It seems to me that users choose to become part of this community. They ultimately contribute in some way that can help other users. Even expressing an opinion or asking a question can help someone else who is reading. Wanting your account deleted is just spite. It’s basically saying “I want to take back every contribution to gaming I ever made”. Imagine hundreds or thousands of users doing this. Topics would become incoherent.

I don’t know if it’s in there (because I didn’t read it LOL) but I would hope the EULA here has a “all posts you make become property of forums.libretro.com” or something similar.

@PLAYITLOUD I wish I could help with your problem! LOL

Hi RetroArch team, I was able to install it flawlessly on my new Google TV device and it’s simply amazing! I am mainly playing Commodore 64 and Amiga games. The only thing missing is that I would like to use a physical mouse to play Amiga games and the problem is that when using a physical mouse I can see two mouse pointers: one from the P-UAE Emulator and the one from Android which is really weird. So I’d like to request the possibility to hide the Android mouse via settings (maybe to hide it automatically once an emulator has started).

Thanks in advance and keep it up!

There’s a hotkey–grab mouse (toggle)–that you can map in settings > input > hotkeys and that should help.

Yeah, as I was typing that up I suddenly thought that if a user’s account was deleted, there may be a series of quotes from a user that doesn’t exist, and it’s not like a user has any right to request that another user’s posts be deleted just because it included a quote from them . . . so I guess the problem isn’t that easy to solve :sweat_smile:

Back on topic, I guess I’d like to suggest that someone look into why at 4K 30hz, using wasapi exclusive mode and menu sounds, it causes the music to freeze and shutter when the game is paused with the hotkey or the menu is accessed (F1) while the game is playing. I had to turn menu sounds off . . . not a big deal, but I do like them, especially the ambiance of the BGM, because it was either turn them off, or not use exclusive mode, but not using exclusive mode made everything really slow.

There’s a particular user (the one who prompted the notice in the first place) who thinks GDPR gives them exactly this right. He’s been cyberstalking me on other platforms and sending messages to my personal email to hassle me about the fact that googling his username still has the libretro forums in the results, even though his name doesn’t actually appear anywhere (I guess it’s in some cached something somewhere).

1 Like

Thanks @hunterk for your answer. I was not aware that there was already such a feature available. I gave it a try today but unfortunately the pre-defined hotkey to grab the mouse (which is F11) doesn’t work at least not for Google TV. I also tried with the hotkey to switch between window and full-screen mode which didn’t have an effect. I’ve checked this in both P-UAE and SCUMMVM with a physical USB mouse attached.

I’m not surprised that the fullscreen toggle didn’t work in Android. I am surprised that mouse-grab didn’t. Did you try changing the mapping to something else? Perhaps the F11 key just isn’t sending the signal it expects.

Thanks @hunterk, I’ve mapped it to different keyboard keys (e.g. simply to “q”) and also to Gamepad keys but there was no change in the behavior. One thing I’ve noticed yesterday: I’ve installed Retroarch on my Linux Mint system and installed the same cores there. As it seems the fullscreen+mouse grab feature is applied automatically which is not the case for Google TV. Since this is the Development Suggestions thread maybe we should continue discussing this in another thread? Please feel free to contact me also directly if I can help and contribute by testing things on the Google TV.

1 Like

Soft-Patching

Possibility to load patches manually

The current status is that you have to name the patch the same as the rom:

gameA.zip
gameA.ips
gameB.zip
gameB.bps

If you want to play different romhacks/translations you have to do this:

gameA-speedhack.zip
gameA-speedhack.ips
gameA-translated.zip
gameA-translated.ips

It would be neat to be able to load the patch like you can do it with shaders -> Load Patch and the information get stored in a patch-info file like it is now with multi-disc games (gameA.ldci) or like a shader config: (gameA.slang)

gameA.zip
gameA-speedhack.ips
gameA-translated.ips
  • gameA.softpatch maybe?

The reason for this idea is to be able to play multiple hacks/translations of a game without cluttering your rom-folder/playlist.
E.g. i am playing Classic Tetris and have a DAS-Trainer patch and a 2 Player patch but i don’t want multiple entries in my playlist.

Expanding the idea

Many games can have multiple patches applied.
E.g. a translation, then a bugfixes, a palette swap etc.
At the moment, if you want to soft-patch your game you have to apply all patches and then create a single patch to make it work (for soft-patching).

If the above idea works, maybe it is also possible to expand the patch-info file to take multiple patches into account:

Super Mario All-Stars (USA).softpatch
    {
    patches = "2"
    patch0 = "home/user/Roms/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/SMAS SMB Lost Levels Brick Fix.ips"
    patch1 = "home/user/Roms/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Mario Bros 1 SMAS - NESised.ips"
    }

we had talked about just looking for a directory with the same name as the game and look for patch files inside it then pop up the picker (like the core picker when you load content) that lists them. I don’t remember if it went past that. It might be somewhere on jdgleaver’s infinite to-do list lol

1 Like

I would love an option in Kronos to use USA, PAL, and JAP BIOS files independently of each-other. Currently, no matter what region a game is, when you start it you get the Japanese BIOS startup. By contrast, beetle_saturn requests all 3 and uses them when appropriate.

I know the JP BIOS is also on the region-free set, and is consistently the preferred bootup… but it would be nice to be able to choose the correct bootup for a given region’s titles.

1 Like

Add a function/button in Retroarch to shutdown the system. Would like to shutdown my PC within Retroarch with my Controller. That would be awesome. Thanks in advance. =)

Where should I make a post for help?

The ability to launch and play flash games, like UPIXO In Action: Mission in Snowdriftland, which was recently (as far as I know) preserved as a Shockwave Flash Object (.swf) for offline use.

2 Likes

Please Add a function to remap multi button in one button. example : button A+B+C in L1, B+C+D in L2. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I have an idea for Android, possibly iOS too.

We already know from media players that they create a notification with controls in the notification bar when active.

Something like this would be a welcome improvement for RetroArch. The number of buttons on a hardware-gampad is limited and editing overlays for own actions is in the current state nothing for beginners or to do quickly in between. If you could instead define a certain number of buttons with custom actions for the notification (for me that would be for example: AI Service, Save, Load, Menu), you would still have room to maneuver if the joypad has too few buttons or you want to avoid editing overlays.

Thanks!

Please, why do not add an internal file manager to copy files to and from the media Lakka/Retroarch is installed? Would be super ultracool!

if I may suggest a couple.

1. A quick map option for the four (north, south, east, west) joypad buttons to be mapped to the right analogue stick. There is already an option for this with the d-pad and an analogue stick. This would be really useful for 1st person games on the PSP and N64 with both used those buttons like a d-pad in some games.

2. Some submenus in the Core Downloader option. Probably just one for Sega and Nintendo. This would make the ever growing list easier to navigate as the list is getting longer (better) all the time.

Thanks

Thanks to the “Menu Aspect Ratio” setting, rgui is highly compatible with bezel overlays. I find it allows for a nice transition between game and menu.

However, rgui is far from the most user-friendly menu available. I’d like to see a similar option in the other menus.

Perhaps this could be implemented in xmb in a similar fashion to the “Menu Layout” setting. I also like for there to be some sort of solution for ozone.

Actually, while wer’e on the topic of ozone… just more customization options… period. I don’t really care what they would be; we just need more of them.

HDR support, please.