Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

better, stronger, faster…

2 Likes

Someone give this guy a promotion. He deserves it!

1 Like

Is this the Six Million Dollar Man.

4 Likes

Does anybody actually know some real good shaders to use for Arcade games?

1 Like

I’m glad you found a solution that works well for your needs.

Just sharing my recording settings which may or may not be of assistance to you. I’ll also share @TheNameC’s recommendations since he’s uploaded a number of YouTube videos using my shader preset settings. You really need a high enough bitrate if you want to preserve all of the fine scanline and mask details.

Here are Google’s recommended settings for YouTube:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en#zippy=%2Cresolution-and-aspect-ratio%2Cframe-rate%2Cbitrate

In general you want as high a bitrate as possible/practical while recording/streaming/trancoding at a consistent resolution across the board with little to no filtering or post processing effects.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/mega-bezel-group-thread/32832/1063?u=cyber

2 Likes

I don’t know if you’ll find they are the best but this is what I use:

You can combine them with @Duimon’s graphics and other overlays as well.

Have you tried my latest Arcade - Sharp and Arcade - Raw presets?

2 Likes

Nevermind. I figured out the problem I was having. The scanlines was giving a circle appearance in the middle of the screen with Int Scale Mode turned off. I just used Composite-Sharp, turned Int Scale Mode off, set brightness to 200, and set Scanline Direction to Vert.

I was asking because of the circle in the middle of the screen from the scanlines.

@Cyber Thought I would add the screenshots just so you could see what I was talking about.

4 Likes

I have added the default TV7 graphic and preset to the repo.

I adjusted the bezel from my WIP to be more traditional, and allow for an automatic vertical mode.

I have also added the “Lite” presets. They are using the STD_GDV-MINI base preset for all the CRT shader presets. The LCD are still using LCD-GRID. (It’s already light on system requirements.)

The potato are coming along well. I have finished creating the graphics, now I get to create presets for all of them! :partying_face:

7 Likes

This is great! I have to try it!

That just looks like classic moire. There have been many posts about this. That’s the main reason I set Int. Scale Mode to 1.

Curvature also causes moire with scanlines possibly because the scanlines curve but the mask and the LCD pixel structure on our screens don’t curve leading to a misalignment of these different grid structures.

I don’t use curvature for different reasons though. Both of these settings that you’ve been required to reverse in order to get things working with these bezels have reintroduced this moire effect. GDV Noise might help mitigate some of it but I see you’ve figured out your own workarounds!

Simply lightening the scanlines by choosing a different Scanline Type or adjusting the scanlines shape and characteristics might also be all that’s needed to reduce this effect. You can also disable “real” scanlines completely and switch to “fake” scanlines which don’t curve and may not suffer from this issue. Your graphics might suffer from misaligned scanlines though.

1 Like

I just leave Int Scale Mode 1 so I can see how the scanlines are supposed to look. I then just set it to 0 and that is where I change Opposite Dir Multiplier to get the scanlines to look the same.

1 Like

Very clever idea!

It’s interesting that this would work without causing other artifacts like misaligned scanlines because I’m thinking that this would result in a mismatch between the number of vertical pixels and the number of scanlines. I’m glad it works though. I’ll have to take a look myself to see what’s going on with the alignment afterwards.

1 Like

I have only ever had to change the Opposite Dir Multiplier to 75 or 125.

1 Like

Hey all!

Little progress update on the Potato presets. I have 796 presets done and 212 remaining. (Actually 106 with just image path edits for the night presets. :grin:)

Anything I can do with search and replace to help is complete. The rest all need to be done by hand.

3 Likes

If you turned it down on content that wasn’t internal res increased, you would see some funky stuff, but otherwise it looks just like normal.

funky!

More funky!!

Actually it is the tilt that is causing the moire. The top of the bezel is more narrow than the bottom so moire will start at the bottom and get progressively worse as you go up.

6 Likes

@Duimon for some reason with Cyber’s shaders Int Scale Mode used to have to be set to 0, but now they don’t other than for Arcade [CABINET] and MAME [CABINET]. Opposite Dir Multiplier doesn’t have to be changed since than for those. I would only recommend the Opposite Dir Multiplier to be set to 75 for horizontal scanlines and 125 for vertical scanlines for Arcade or MAME shaders. Those settings help with the effect of changing the Int Scale Mode.

Edit: I should clarify that Opposite Dir Multiplier change helps with the moire pattern. The pattern gets worse, more on screen, when Int Scale Mode is 0.

1 Like

If you like it that way that’s cool.

At the same time I would generally suggest against reducing the opposite dir multiplier unless you are using a high res core, or using scalefx. For example if you take a SNES game and set the opposite dir multiplier to 75, moire might be less, but the scanlines will definitely be offset/mismatched with the pixels from the core image.

@Duimon’s example shows this pretty well:

Also something to note is that the moire issue usually gets better when the monitor is at higher resolution.

2 Likes

I noticed that the moire is super noticeable on the PSX startup screen but I don’t really notice it in game. I only change the Opposite Dir Multiplier on the tilted cabinet shader with Arcade. I checked the way it looks on the other shaders and the moire effect doesn’t seem to happen. I am just mainly trying to figure this out so I can use Cyber’s shader with Duimon’s graphics without a crazy moire.

Edit: I should note that the moire is created when I add [Curvature] to the shader. I would like to have curvature but I might just have to leave it off.

1 Like

That is because the startup screen is at 640x480 and the games are 320x240-ish. PSX is weird. You can get around the worst of it by using a core that skips the bios. (But it generally increases loading time.)

2 Likes

That really depends on the shader and the resolution of the game. Guest does really well at 320x240. If at all possible you can turn on at least vertical axis integer and it will help.

I will add that any change in guest default settings is a risk.

1 Like

I am down to the last 19 systems for the potato presets. If you try them, I would recommend waiting to do any serious CRT tweaking. (Not that GDV-MINI has a lot of tweaks.)

I have found a few potato bugs that need squashing. I am hoping the fixes don’t mess with my presets, but if they do I will fix them.

3 Likes