Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

I get no splash image either, just the static intro.

When I load the preset and look at the parameters I see no setting that should interfere. Weird!

It could be something on HSM’s end. @HyperspaceMadness what do you think sir?

Otherwise… your methods are sound and should work for every other system.

1 Like

So you get the static but no logo image shown?

Did it originally show the Mega Bezel logo?

2 Likes

I think so, at least I assume it did.

I just loaded your 3DS variation, saved a core preset and loaded content again. Static but no logo.

The NDS preset shows a logo so I’m unsure why this would not.

Personally I don’t like intros on such small screens and disable them on some of the smallest, but this is weird.

Hey man, @Duimon and @HyperspaceMadness. I appreciate both of you taking time out of your day to talk with me and see what my issue could be and helping troubleshoot this issue. You guys rock! Also, I apologize for the delayed response. I am on bass-ackwards sleep schedule, work overnights while trying to sleep during the day and that is compounded by me being a full-time single father so needless to say, time is a luxury for me most of the…well…time.

Ok so to start off Duimon, my take away from this is that I am on the correct path for creating custom splash screens, I just happened to pick the one system that is having issue. Am I correct in assuming so? Oh, and I agree with your sentiment with smaller screens but using the hybrid preset looks great and then using custom textures for some of the games, it is just like playing a home console on my 4k TV. Seriously, it looks so damn beautiful in combination with the LCD Grid shader(a custom preset I made).

Next, to answer your question HyperspaceMadness, no, it never showed the splash logo to begin with but I figured that perhaps the was set to use the “on_no_image.params”, so I tried backing that up and renaming my modded “on.params” to on_no_image" and it still wouldn’t display a splash.

I feel it is prudent to mention that I am a total noob to the world of RetroArch, shaders, presets and whatnot and that I am just poking around so I can get a solid grasp the entire structuring of the code and file structure of the Mega Bezel Project before using the 60fps gifs. If successful, I would like to release this to the community as an add-on pack to yours and HSM’s work and as a loving “thank you” to all of the guys and you and HSM, for your tireless and seemingly endless hours of hard work.

My ultimate goal isn’t to just use a static png for the splash. I was initially testing my theory out, that I can have a custom splash without harming or ruining the original files and once I got it working. I was going to test out to emulating the console experience using a 60fps gif that has the tv on animation with the electron beam firing up that transitions to tv static then the screen turning black showing AV1 in the top left corner in the same green text that you are using then the console’s bios/system startup and finally launching the game. I am sure this is an extremely lofty and overly ambitious goal. So, at the very least, if I can use a gif, I will use it to emulate the console’s startup before the game loads.

Anyhow, I have been waffling on long enough and will give this a go with another system in a bit, once I am finished with my start of the shift duties.

That is a no go. :frowning_face: There is no animated GIF support in Retroarch. We have tossed around a few solution ideas for the future, such as sprite sheets.

I get it, I raised my children alone for 13 years.

A bit of advice if I may… the PC will always be there later, your time with your children is passing. Looking back I regret the time lost more than anything.

1 Like

Well that’s it, I have already published my work, I hope you don’t mind if I leave the link here Duimon.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/akuma22-mega-bezel-arcade-mame-and-systems-presets/42818

3 Likes

It is much more than OK to post here.

I have added your thread to the list of esteemed members in the first post.

BTW. The list is alphabetical, so you are at the top. :grin:

Also. . . I love your logo. :star_struck:

2 Likes

I had thought about asking you to put me on but then I thought that decision was yours.

Thank you so much :smile:

3 Likes

Duimon_MB_Logo

* * * The Duimon-Mega-Bezel repo and release are updated to v1.1.5.0. * * *

The Potato repo is also updated.

Changes:

• Eliminated BackgroundVertImage and DeviceVertImage using wildcards to future proof eventual changes in the shader.

• Added Watara Supervision Bezel preset.

• Due to unfortunate core behavior, the wildcards have been removed from the Atari Lynx presets. Horizontal, vertical, and vertical 270 presets have been created in their place.

• Potato BackgroundVertImage references still exist for current compatibility but will eventually be ignored by the shader.

The link to the current releases are in the first post. Installation/Update instructions are near the end of the second.

The Duimon-BigPEmu repo and release are updated to v1.1.0.0.

Changes:

• Updated presets to include No-Reflect and Potato versions.

To insure compatibility when recompiling, the required version of the Mega Bezel and Royale blurs have been included in the source folder.

The link to the current release is in the first post.

Many of these updates and additions are a couple of months old and in progress while I have been recovering. Please bear with me if I missed something or made a few mistakes. :innocent:

12 Likes

Hi guys I have a general question that any experienced user can answer…

I downloaded this Windows game collection called “ExoDos”. These are like 80’s and 90’s era games for Windows PC. I’m currently in the process of running the setup, which integrates the games into LaunchBox. So I haven’t been able to run any games yet and try myself, but I’m SO CURIOUS!!

Would Duimon Mega Bezels work with these “ExoDos” Windows PC games?

If any of you have have any experience or tips on this issue, please share.

Nope. :frowning_face:

The collection uses many different versions and custom builds of DOSBox, none of them have anything to do with RetroArch.

You could, with a bit of work, convert some of the zip files to work with DOSBox-Pure (I have curated 588 games.) but setting up the existing BigBox interface would be all but impossible.

You will need to make a choice, RetroArch or the eXoDOS setup… you can’t have both.

You might have some luck using the WindowCast core but it would take a LOT of work setting up the launcher settings. I wouldn’t recommend it to someone with limited experience. (I wouldn’t attempt it myself.)

1 Like

I had all my games that I wanted from ExoDos 5 set up as a platform in LB then set the emulator to RA, but you lose extra features from ExoDos and it takes some setup work. Like Duimon said though, by default the Launchbox platform that it makes for you is going to be using non-Retroarch emulators.

1 Like

Hi @Duimon, love the presets! Have you ever thought of adding other DS variants? I’ve always loved the way the DSi XL looked, specifically this blue one:

In fact Nintendo themselves seemed to really like to use this model for promotional material for late DS games, like this Pokémon Black & White 2 trailer.

1 Like

I don’t have any plans, but the colors of the body and buttons can be changed using parameters.

2 Likes

Duimon_MB_Logo

* * * The Duimon-Mega-Bezel repo and release are updated to v1.1.5.1. * * *

The Potato repo is unchanged.

Changes:

• When the Lynx presets were updated, I missed adding some needed params files.

The link to the current releases are in the first post. Installation/Update instructions are near the end of the second.

5 Likes

Hi @Duimon
I’d like to use the Duimon-Bezel-Project on RetroArch Android but sadly even the Lite preset doesn’t work. So I edited the Lite preset ‘MAME-[STD]-[Guest-Mini].slangp’ and I replaced ‘MBZ__3__STD__GDV-MINI.slangp’ with ‘MBZ__5__POTATO__GDV.slangp’ and it works or at least only for the horizontal games. For the vertical arcade games I get this even though the rom name matches the overlay cfg and png:

Is there a way to solve this using the potato CRT preset? Thanks for your awesome work!

2 Likes

The potato presets do not generate a bezel, which is the only benefit to my presets.

Your best bet would be just to install the Bezel Project and let them set up all the CFG files with the installer.

1 Like

OK but why then the potato preset does it work with horizontal games?

1 Like

Because the potato presets have the BackgroundImage and BackgroundVertImage paths hard coded.

Since I am not using potato presets (For the reasons I mentioned above.) I am not using a BackgroundVertImage in the presets. In this case the hard coded image is used.

“Work” is very subjective in this case. I see a very wide space between the game screen and the bezel.

These Bezel Project overlays were meant to be used with a 4x3 aspect ratio with a full screen height.

Like I said. . . if you can’t take advantage of the shader generated bezel and reflection, there is really no advantage in using the shader instead of the overlays.

!! Edit: !! Since your screen is wider than 16x9, the bezel will be stretched using overlays.

You can edit the preset and add the BackGroundVertImage path.

MAME-[STD]-[Guest].slangp

#reference "../../../../../shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp"

#reference "MAME_$CORE-ASPECT-ORIENT$.params"

HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"

BackgroundImage = "../../../../../../overlays/ArcadeBezels/$GAME$.png"

becomes. . .

#reference "../../../../../shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__5__POTATO__GDV-MINI.slangp"

#reference "MAME_$CORE-ASPECT-ORIENT$.params"

HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "99.000000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"

BackgroundImage = "../../../../../../overlays/ArcadeBezels/$GAME$.png"
BackgroundVertImage = "../../../../../../overlays/ArcadeBezels/$GAME$.png"

You can make similar changes to the FBNeo preset etc.

BTW. I also increased the Non-Integer Scale % to 99.000000 to help with the blank space. (Anything greater clips the screen in horizontal mode.)

1 Like

Amazing! It works perfectly! Thank you so much!

1 Like