Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

I’m sincerely sorry that this happened to you, you’ve been such a joy to this community.

1 Like

Zion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIQTEEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_ZJYMZB1RCZS8KF2MY2HX

Zion https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01CISX0A8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_T34RXDN6MX91HNBFH51V

Brewsie https://open.spotify.com/track/6WM2yFscBWQTQXrxy0ngvn

Brewsie https://open.spotify.com/track/5n7Y0PcwsBNh1g9LscKsb2

@Duimon Do you want to know what all these songs have in common?

They use my backing track.

Do you know what else they have in common?

No where on any one of them are either my name nor sobriquet mentioned.

Guess what’s the third thing they have in common?

I haven’t gotten paid a cent for my work that is up for sale on someone else’s accounts.

So I can understand what you might be going through. I have spoken to the artist and as you can see nothing has been done about it. I really don’t have the energy, time nor resources to risk to pursue this at this time in any serious way. The good thing is I can keep making more and more music and I have! Great music!

You win some, you lose some in life even though we might prefer to win all the time. We live in a virtual jungle where people don’t share the same values and principles. We should expect anything from people and when things like this occur we shouldn’t be surprised.

At the end of the day your talent is your gift and no one can steal that from you. Don’t also allow anyone to steal your dreams. Also, no one can take you away from sobriety except you.

I don’t know you personally but I hope my words will have a positive impact on you and your situation. Now is the time when the best thing you can do is probably “man up” and resist the urge to be overly emotional about this. We all have different personalities and handle disappointment differently but I hope that you would be strong enough to remain grounded and relatively unfazed by this despite your obvious love, dedication and passion. Instead allow logic and reason to take control and fight the emotional knee jerk.

We are always responsible for our own happiness. So come on! We’re rooting for you! I’m sure you have many more supporters than detractors and doubters!

Take care of yourself buddy.

3 Likes

Duimon I just wanted to please the Batocera community and at no time sought any notoriety in your place. No one makes money in the story.

I repeat that I have publicly asked for your permission to use your work as a basis for Batocera bezels on 1 May 2021.

Hello Duimon ,

Is it possible that I use your bezels by adapting them for Batocera ?

Batocera is an open source retrogaming O.S like Retropie.

https://batocera.org/ 1

I thank you in advance, you do a fantastic job. bk

You have answered me publicly that I can use your graphics freely.

Here is your answer when I asked for your permission and showed you a modified bezel.

If you aren’t aware, I release standard Retroarch overlays of most of my graphics. (I use a bezel that is a clone of the shader generated bezel.

1280×720

I use them on Batocera myself. (On my ODROID XU4) I have a pre-configured decorations theme set up if you would like me to put it in my repo. (They are 1920 x1080 and include 43 systems. The included WonderSwan pair are from my previous raster graphics and will be updated when I add them to this collection.)

In any case, all my graphics are open source. You may use them, and the source, in any way you see fit. :grin:

Edit: I have added the decoration theme to my “Misc-Overlays-Borders-Bezels” repo, in a Batocera folder.

At no time did I do you any harm since I asked you beforehand if I could use your wor

A thief will never ask permission to steal from you.

I remind you that Batocera is free and I don’t earn any money from it.

What we should all be angry about is those who take the work of others for commercial purposes such as paid themes or hard drives or hardware (SMB, PC) sold at a premium with a retrogaming O.S. and roms and bios included.

@Duimon, thank you for all you have done for Retroarch and this community. You are a stellar pillar of this community, and your contributions have vastly improved the enjoyment I get (and undoubtedly many many others) when playing games in Retroarch. It tears at me that this has affected you in such ways. I fully understand your stance and actions, and wish you nothing but the best as you take this break.

2 Likes

A small token of regarding/crediting has a very soothing effect. I don’t see how this would degrade user experience. :wink:

5 Likes

Hi @mikael42,

So quoting @guest.r

I think is a very nice point.

@mikael42 I can see by your post that you appear to be defending yourself, I don’t say this to attack you or anything like that, but I find in situations like this it really helps to listen to the party who is feeling badly about an interaction to see how you may have contributed (perhaps accidentally) and how you can help resolve the problem so everyone can come out feeling better.

I’ve worked quite closely with @duimon on this project in the last couple of years, and his contributions have been PHENOMENAL. I think when content that you want to use comes from the creations of another person it is really courtesy to give some credit, and always appreciated by the authors regardless of the license.

In working with Duimon in the past it has been clear that he has been interested in working with others to help the best quality of the work be seen.

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I think you and @guest.r both made this point come out much better than all the words I was trying to come up with without sounding like I was bashing him. :clap:

4 Likes

Sorry but at no time did I want to hurt Duimon or seek any form of notoriety on my part in his place he is the real and very talented artist.

But I just adapted his work to make it fit the display format that Batocera uses because your shader is not supported by this distribution.

I talked to him before and asked for his permission and I was totally transparent about what I was going to do with his work.

He gave me his permission to use it freely see his answer of May 1, 2021. If it was for my personal use, why should I ask for his permission, it would never be known.

In any case, all my graphics are open source. You may use them, and the source, in any way you see fit.

My Github was only used for online storage to avoid losing the modifications, I did not promote any of them. Besides, I’m a novice to use Github and I’m already having a hard time just to make a PR.

@mikael42 I think the main point of issue here is that while yes you can use them how you see fit, you gave no recognition / credit / reference to the creator of those files, which is a common courtesy and a show of respect to the creator

I’m not sure this truly clarified your intent to @Duimon , be it for personal, or to modify and re-distribute.

3 Likes

You’ve said all of this and this is all well and good. What are you going to do now? Is it too difficult for you to give recognition to @duimon in your distribution for the use of derivatives of his hard work? I mean is it that difficult for you to say thanks and include a credit for others to acknowledge @duimon 's excellent contribution?

I’m not going to await a response before saying this. Only a certain kind of person would have a problem doing what is being implied is the right thing to do here and trust me when I say, people like that never reach far in life or will ever be truly happy in the long run.

This is a teachable moment here, I hope you embrace it wholeheartedly.

You will be judged and remembered accordingly.

The problem was solved in Private Message with Duimon.

3 Likes

:exploding_head: You have not replied to me in my private message. What was solved? :rofl:

While this issue is far from being brought to a close, I have decided to not give it the power to stop me from contributing to the community.

I spent a large part of yesterday digging out a rather huge stump. that used to be a dead tree in my garden.

It was very therapeutic. :grin:

I am going to modify my overlay repo, and add in another for Batocera decorations, to make them both more accessible and visible.

I will be spending a great deal of time on them, giving consideration to various use case scenarios.

In the case of the standard overlays I will be including CFG files to handle the custom aspect when one is needed. It is my goal to make them as drop-in ready as possible. (I will probably put the graphics in the config folder to make determining paths easier.)

The decorations use a proprietary method, and will be handled differently.

In addition to this I am thinking about signing my work, in an as yet to be determined, subtle manner. (And embedding it into my vector code using available methods.)

I appreciate any thoughts you may have about this last bit. The most tragic part of this is how it has made me rethink my mission. That damage cannot be undone. :frowning_face:

9 Likes

I can confirm how this can be very satisfying and therapeutic! I’ve done it a time or two, along with just whacking down an old tree.

I’m glad to hear you are not gonna let this stop your brilliant work. I fully support you doing whatever you need to do to protect it , and in turn, your enjoyment that you have derived from creating these works of art.

4 Likes

Looking forward, I think I will do some Rocketlauncher bezels for stand-alone emulators.

There are a few emulators it supports that are supported by neither MAME or Retroarch. (I will have to do some R&D to get a list.) Although it makes no sense to add bezels for systems that are better supported by those platforms.

Some of them will just be duplicates (Like the FM-Towns.) with just the naming format and coordinate system changed.

I currently only have one example in my Rocketlauncher folder.

Looking at my “Misc-Overlays-Borders-Bezels” repo, I will probably eliminate it and create separate repos for everything. I have committed, in various forums, to convert my MAME graphics to MAME layouts.

In the long run I think it will benefit the community.

6 Likes

So I am going through all my source. I have made a few changes since I last updated the repo, along with new source for Basic/Potato stuff.

I also had a HDD hick-up a while back and need to replace some PSDs from my online repo.

So far today I have redone the Pokemon Mini so that it only uses three layers as opposed to five, and noticed that the Wii power LED has been missing in night mode forever. :innocent:

Just in case you all mistake this for actual productivity, :grin: I am just preparing to backup everything to an external drive, just in case something goes wrong with my huge and awesome computer upgrade. :partying_face:

In addition to the parts for my everyday box upgrade, I received my new 4U rackmount case, that will replace my full depth, way to heavy, 2U server case. I like it so much I ordered a second for my new server addition.

In addition to hosting a NextPVR server backend, I am thinking about using the second server as a part time, remote Linux workstation. Does anyone by chance know if the newer consumer Nvidia GPUs support hardware accelerated X11 forwarding? I have a pair of older Quadros but I’d like something newer.

I hope everyone is having a much fun as I am. :grin:

3 Likes

Turns out that an older Tesla K80 headless server GPU will do OpenGL acceleration using VNC, although it may require an OS with a Desktop environment installed and running.

Sounds like a fun R&D adventure. I can pick one up for under $300.

2 Likes

My work is not open source at all. You’re openly violating my license as you give no attribution at all, did not include links to my license and did not enlist the ‘changes’ you made.

I never gave you the permission to use my original designs for Amiga500, Amiga600, Amiga1200, AmigaCD32, C64 and VIC20 from my TheNamec Mega Bezel Commodore Pack. After a quick check I found sort of modified versions of my assets in batocera-linux/batocera-bezel github repository, you ripped away watermarks and did a very questionable editing work.

You are even credited in the commits “[V31 media from Discord (#artwork mostly from Mikael42)]”, this is an unbearable predatory attitude and I hope the rest of people behind Batocera project doesn’t share this way of doing.

“Artworks”? I’d call these “half-baked photoshop edits” from my professional quality vector designs, and I literally poured months of work on these. I can say my assets are ‘professional quality artworks’ as I’m a graphic artist IRL, and I’ve been contributing to Libretro since the last year. Ah yes, you ripped away the Retroarch logos from my assets, you already knew it.

Worst of it all, you ripped Commodore 64 and VIC20 graphics from my own promotional material. You even cut away the footer copyright banner, so you knew the source. These are still unreleased as they were still in production when you decided to go shopping from my thread (or from Google?), so Batocera is distributing modified versions of my works BEFORE I do, and I’m the legit author.

Sorry man, you did it wrong AND bad at the same time. You don’t know what community means. I will not waste any more time as, from your answers, it’s clear you have no interest in admitting your fault.

We, as the community behind the Mega Bezel Reflection Shader custom assets, will try to estabilish a collaboration with Batocera in the common interest to keep the high quality of our work while keeping the righs as authors.

You say you’re not making money on it? Sure, but you’re taking donations from our work without even saying “Hey guys, thanks”. Since when “no money” is an excuse to misbehave?

6 Likes

Hi there. I’m coming to this thread as @TheNamec flagged this issue on Reddit and I want to try and resolve any ambiguity as much as I can, as I’ve been quite involved with the Batocera project over the past few years.

From what I can tell, Mikael42 asked and got permission to use @Duimon’s work for Batocera. Mikael42 credited and praised Duimon for his work on the Batocera Discord server many times. Here’s one example amongst others

Should @Duimon have been credited in the changelog? Yes, certainly, I’m really sorry this hasn’t been done, and I understand the frustration. I can assure you this wasn’t done on purpose, and we have the habit to credit original authors as much as we can. Your work is fantastic and deserve all the due recognition n, @Duimon. How can we fix that?

@TheNamec’s message seems to imply there has been non-open source work that has been used. I can’t fully understand what part of @TheNamec’s work has been used and how the Batocera bezels are violating CC BY-NC-SA 4.0? And how is that a license that is “not open source at all”. Please give me specifics, I’m happy to dig into this.

The Batocera community absolutely loves the libretro project, contributes to it, and if there is anything we can make to collaborate more closely, please let me know and tag me (I just registered to write this message, I’m not a regular :slightly_smiling_face:). Thank you!

And sorry for not tagging Mikael42, but as a new user, there is a limit on the number of tags I’m allowed to use in a message on this forum.

4 Likes

I have been holding off commenting on this, but it needs to said.

He did NOT ask for permission… he asked if it was “possible”. That is by no stretch of the imagination the same thing.

There is no way to spin his silent harvesting of my work in various projects as honorable.

2 Likes