Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

@Diego

I am happy to comply, but confused. If you have a cabinet, why would you want an image of another cabinet and control panel on the screen. Not judging, but, wouldn’t one of my earlier MAME graphics be better suited?

Did you expand the link and look at the graphics? They are, intentionally, very much like the cabinet bezel portion of this graphic.

In any case I will go ahead and produce a non tilted version. You are likely not the only one who would use it. :grin:

1 Like

I would like arcade platformes background like konami, cps, mame… I was doing some, but since we have a new born at home I dont have more time to spend.

1 Like

@Diego

I hate to say no to anyone but my current mission is to do Retroarch core graphics. I do not plan on doing arcade platform specific things like Konami, Cave, CPS2 +3 etc.

I am willing to do a generic “Arcade” graphic that other artists might be willing to customize. My MAME graphic has the bezel as a separate layer and is meant to be replaced if someone wants.

I don’t know what else to say. :frowning_face:

Maybe @Digitech is willing to do some custom stuff once he has his feet firmly on the ground here. :grin:

2 Likes

No problem. I hope to have a little time to do it and I will share it.

1 Like

ZX Spectrum graphics are in the repo.

The source *.ai was too large for Github so I had to reduce the internal effects resolution to 72dpi. This can easily be changed in Illustrator once the file is local. I have included a note in the repo that explains this.

At least there was a solution for the file size. I would hate for this to become a problem going forward. :frowning_face:

Id love to have enough time to create bezels por specific systems, i remember i made this for my beloved ninja turtles but i opted to make an standard one for all the arcade games, i wish to have enough time to make all popular

arcade games a good overlay but id have to quit my job, lol

2 Likes

Cough cough Pateron Cough cough jkjk

Hello everybody! I was hanging out in HSM’s thread and saw some talk about the N64 Parallel core, which I have never tried. So I did.

While I was doing so I realized how much I didn’t like the graphic I had been using. So I went ahead and created an N64 graphic.

I really like it, but, it is kind of tragic that most of the detail is hidden by the bezel. The depth of the venting changes as you go from center to the outside edges. I spent an awful amount of time trying to get it right.

I took some real liberties with this one (I guess that is not unusual for me to do. :grin:) so that some of the detail showed while playing a game.

What do you guys think?

I also made some progress on the non-tilted version of my MAME graphic.

I may try and do a modified daylight version with a bit more detail that can be customized for other arcade systems.

5 Likes

Small update . I added the on/off details next to the power switch and resized the logos to give the details some room.

Not sure I like the positioning of the logos. The offset “64” makes it tough to balance.

4 Likes

Final changes I think. I messed with the power and reset switches to give them more realism, (And turned the power on. :wink:) adjusted the position of the logos, and cleaned up a couple of other things.

9 Likes

I feel like I haven’t been making much forward progress. Here is a quick peak at the Atari 2600 WIP to make me feel better. :grin:

The easy part is done, now for some details. :grimacing:

9 Likes

Your progress is amazing man! Very nice graphics!

Getting close! :wink:

I still need to create the cool down arrows for the right two switches. :blush: (And probably a cartridge slot.)

I am using the TopLayerImage to display a logo over the bezel. With any luck (And if HSM agrees it is useful.) in the near future this will not eliminate the additional use of a second TopLayerImage for night mode.) In any case I will probably find a way to include the logo in night mode if it seems necessary.

Any comments on my switches? (I just noticed a missing drop shadow. :slightly_smiling_face:)

All 6 “Heavy Sixer” switches will be included, (Although hidden behind the default bezel.) just in case anyone wants a smaller bezel.

5 Likes

Loved the video computer system on the bottom of the bezel.

2 Likes

I added the missing switch drop shadow and lowered the white level of the bezel logo.

Anybody (Besides @Syh. :wink:) bothered by the new Atari logos? They will, of course, be excluded from the plain version.

4 Likes

I feel attacked!

Actually I don’t mind the logos here, tbh.

1 Like

@Syh… just inviting you into the conversation my friend. Your opinion is important to me. :grin:

Here it is in all it’s scaled down, hidden finished glory.

Actual difficulty aside, this was easier to design than most because the console was almost the correct aspect ratio… very few liberties had to be taken. :wink:

4 Likes

I personally love the Atari logo.

2 Likes

As you may know, if you have been here a while, when I started on this journey I was embarrassingly rusty at vector art. I expected my skills to improve quickly, and they have. To date I personally think that my DOSBox graphic shows the most improvement. I want to keep pushing myself, so I dove in deep to see what I could do with the 2600 graphic.

See if you can pick out the many subtle changes.

Spoiler

I added a gradient at the top of the switch-box to simulate a shadow from the rear wall of the case.

I added a subtle inner shadow to the strokes on all extrusions on the switch panel to simulate a bevel.

I created blends inside the holes on the cartridge slot to give detail and worked on the shading a bit.

I added a radial gradient at 45 degrees and 400% aspect ratio along with an inner glow to the faces of the switch posts. (The gradients are at opposing angles from left side to right side.)

I also changed the top color of the switch panel extrusions.

Finally, I changed the size and placement of the holes in the cartridge slot and simulated a beveled edge on the center face.

(Plus a couple of things I probably forgot)

:grin:

4 Likes

I have a question to ask you guys.

A while back I changed my mission statement to include non-relative raster effects at 300dpi to allow me to use some effects like film grain etc.

I have been struggling this whole time with beveled text in Illustrator. It just doesn’t do it well. The bevel effect constantly “self-intersects” and looks horrendous, so I have been faking it.

For the most part it has turned out OK. (Not great. :frowning_face: A serious thorn in my side.) In my opinion it has lessened the quality of some of the graphics.

I am thinking of including imported text layers from Photoshop in my mission statement. What I plan on doing is creating insanely too large graphics in PS at 300dpi and importing them, then shrinking them to the desired size in Illustrator. This will allow scaling to a great extent if the PS source is used, since text is vector in PS.

Here’s an example inspired by recent conversations in HSM’s thread.

Nintendo GBA! :grin: My first handheld and LCD. I did take a few liberties to increase the screen size. :wink:

When I set out looking for graphic references I found that the most commonly used existing graphic is actually pretty damn good. I used it, along with photographic references. (Number six in my mission statement. :slightly_smiling_face:)

I spent more than a day trying everything I could think of to get the text to look good but in the end did the PS thing.

Thoughts??

edit: I am thinking that since text is vector in PS, and raster output at 300dpi is part of my mission statement, this doesn’t technically violate it.

7 Likes