Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

My presets have been updated to work with the new shader update, (v0.9.099 2022-01-22 Rev 1) and the DMG-01has been added to the repo.

If you are still using the old version of the shader a few small things will be broken. :frowning_face: (Specifically… horizontal dual screen presets.)

Here is a look at the final default DMG-01.

Using the parameters I changed the bright yellow to a softer gold, and the logo to a deep blue. (The logo graphic is actually a bright yellow also.)

The body is the Device layer and the logo is the Decal. When you are making adjustments to the body, try using a bit of gamma along with your brightness parameter, it works wonders at keeping highlights.

I want everyone to thank @HyperspaceMadness. There were some pretty pesky bugs he squashed in the last week. In the end I only had to fix 5 presets. :astonished:

Thank you my friend! :hugs:

10 Likes

I updated the PDP-1 Spacewar! preset to work with the new release.

It has never looked better!

6 Likes

Already tried a Play It Loud Color, Traditional White. Just checking the new way the coloring was set.

[Device Image Layer]
    Hue Offset: 72
    Saturation: 4
    Brightness: 175
    Gamma: 0.70

[Decal Layer]
    Hue Offset: 100
    Saturation: 39
    Brightness: 12
    Gamma: 0.50

Edit: Changed [Device Image Layer] Gamma.

2 Likes

Thank You @HyperspaceMadness @Duimon! These new colors look super clean, im gonna do a pull and add these to a bunch of games :star_struck: Can’t wait to see what else you guys come up with.

6 Likes

I thought screw it and do the rest.

Cool Blue                            Deep Black
 ---------                            ----------
 [Device Image Layer]                 [Device Image Layer]
     Hue Offset: 213                      Hue Offset: 0
     Saturation: 142                      Saturation: 1
     Brightness: 118                      Brightness: 2
     Gamma: 0.50                          Gamma: 0.70

[Decal Layer]                        [Decal Layer]
     Hue Offset: 100                      Hue Offset: 341
     Saturation: 39                       Saturation: 136
     Brightness: 12                       Brightness: 38
     Gamma: 0.40                          Gamma: 1

Gorgeous Green                        Radiant Red
--------------                        -----------
[Device Image Layer]                  [Device Image Layer]
    Hue Offset: 140                       Hue Offset: 2
    Saturation: 185                       Saturation: 172
    Brightness: 60                        Brightness: 186
    Gamma: 0.70                           Gamma: 0.60

[Decal Layer]                         [Decal Layer]
    Hue Offset: 100                       Hue Offset: 100
    Saturation: 39                        Saturation: 39
    Brightness: 12                        Brightness: 12
    Gamma: 0.40                           Gamma: 0.40

Vibrant Yellow
--------------
[Device Image Layer]
    Hue Offset: 40
    Saturation: 162
    Brightness: 190

[Decal Layer]
    Hue Offset: 100
    Saturation: 39
    Brightness: 12
    Gamma: 0.40

3 Likes

I did research on the colors, since there was a pink one in the picture of them above, and from what I could find pink was never a Play It Loud color.

1 Like

Hmmm. Pictures don’t lie.:grin:

1 Like

I always like double checking to make sure. :sweat:

I managed to run Spacewar to see it in action but couldn’t figure out how to make it looks crisp as like yours.

Tried to increase the core resolution higher than default 640x480 but any resolution I’ve tried resulted in misplacement in lights in the right panel :upside_down_face:

The second issue is that there is a weird circular patterns when I use gamepad left analog stick for the ship rotation and it turns green when I press the thruster button.

This is what I’m getting in overall :point_down:

It’s possible the MAME devs have finally implemented light pen support.

I’m not sure about the ship turning green. It may be related to another shader bug.

I’ll take a look when I get home.

@hgoda90 Play it Loud should have a pink color, its confused with the limited edition Kirby model alot tho, which is more than likely japan only. Its all pink, with no nintendo logo, and a simple Kirby graphic in the top center. There was indeed a pink Play it Loud model, it must be very rare or something because i cant find one besides the one in the photo i posted. The fandom page says its a real thing tho so it must be out there somewhere. I say just wing it, heres the kirby one:

I will just go ahead and make it anyways.

1 Like

Here is the Pink Version.

Pink
----
[Device Image Layer]
    Hue Offset: 330
    Saturation: 146
    Brightness: 128
    Gamma: 0.50

[Cabinet or Cabinet Glass Layer]

Edit: Forgot [Device Image Layer] Gamma.

1 Like

Right, it could be the light pen, I forgot to mention that :grin:

For the purpose of running the Spacewar I’m updated my long lasted 0.232 MAME Current core to 0.238 and I couldn’t find the 0.237 which is the version you mentioned in the README file for PDP-1 Spacewar!.

Also, I did some search for PDP and found that nice video content attached below. I strongly recommend anyone to watch it through. PDP is really something! :heart_eyes:

With that video I noticed some differences in Spacewar game. Before the game starts there are available life indicators in yellow for each ships. Plus, you can actually see motion tails behind the ships which adds an interesting visual detail to the screen. But both of these features are absent in my copy.

It could be different for you since your copy has a different CRC. Mine is same as the one listed in pdp1_ptp.xml which is CRC: dd16c4c9.

1 Like

The additional options are from a later version of the game. It is not compatible with MAME. The trails are impossible to get, even using persistence, because of the CRT driver that they are using. All the effects are built in.

There hasn’t been much interest in improving the emulation. We are lucky they granted my request to make the changes that led to the hash xml. It didn’t exist before 0.237.

4 Likes

Not bad idea to have them up for people that don’t know how to change it, I didnt know how until you posted the extra color stuff for Dreamcast. I didn’t realize how flexible the HSM stuff actually was, so the post was helpful to me when i first got into this. As for that pink model, it likely came late in the campaign after a bunch of people complained that they didn’t have pink lol, who knows.

1 Like

I couldn’t recreate your issue, everything worked normally on both the ADV and STD preset.

BTW. The CRC in my Readme is for the zip file, which is required for the software list method. The CRC in the xml is for the unpacked *.rim. :grin:

I was making a distinction between the arcade spacewar.zip and the software list spacewar.zip

1 Like

The problem with that is I have to get Duimon’s premission since it is his work and it’s easier to post. I will create my own shader files with the different variants of Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance SP, and Dreamcast incase somebody does ask. If Duimon doesn’t mind than he can get back to me but I can understand if not.

Edit: I thought of another problem is that there would be alot of extra shaders just for color changes that someone could do themselves, Duimon brought this up before. I could possibly create a tutorial instead.

3 Likes

You took the words right out of my mouth. :grin:

I want people to experience the entire Mega Bezel, and that requires doing things for yourself and learning what it can do.

It would be a shame if no one ever looked under the hood. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I can agree with that. Is it fine than if I just keep posting the color values for the other variants?

2 Likes