Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

He just posted them to Github earlier, at least ones that will look the right way up in RetroArch.

2 Likes

A couple things I’m seeing here. Firstly you shouldn’t use A: and B: for drives letters in Windows as those drive letters are reserved for Floppy drives.

Secondly, that path is very long and Windows has a limit on the number of characters that can be in a path. With shader presets referencing and linking to one another each one contributes to this character limit. So it might simply be a case where your path is too long.

Try stand alone RetroArch which can happen to have a shorter path and see if you’re still having the same issue.

There really isn’t and advantage with the vectrex to using the ADV anyway. The preset is set up to have no mask or scanlines and none of the other ADV features have much to offer the vecx core.

You could try to use software rendering instaed of hardware but then you would have to flip the viewport and the screen decal would now be upside down and backwards. :grin:

@HyperspaceMadness In software mode using the normal graphic (Not the new upside down ones.) when I flip the viewport vertically the gel flips both vertically and horizontally.

One second…

Yeah it must be a bug in the shader. Software or hardware rendered cores both flip the gel horizontally as the viewport is flipped vertically.

3 Likes

Problem was solved. :wink: It was an installation error. My presets were in the Community_CRT_Variations folder not the root shader folder.

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I don’t know what is up with the gel being upside down. If I run an N64 RDP renderer that requires a flipped veiwport, and load the Vectrex preset… the gel is also upside down and backwards. I think it may be a new RA “undocumented feature”. :wink:

3 Likes

hey all, I have just tried the 3DS sets and it’s the same deal, Advanced fails to load and Standard works fine. I bet my life that these work fine on Nvidia GPU.

Its also on glcore so its got to be the bad AMD openGL driver thing.

really thankful you have given all the sets variations :+1:

1 Like

When I get a minute I am going to pull my GTX 1050 out of my Ryzen 5600 box and try the APU. It would be nice to have a second test example.

2 Likes

@EmuAl

Mt test was inconclusive. Using my Ryzen… Radeon APU (Vega 11 7 cores) I was able to run both the STD and ADV Vectrex presets.

Your RX 6900 XT should blow the Vega out of the water. In fact it out performs a GTX 2080 TI on both Vulkan and DirectX12. Though loses handily with OpenGL.

I know of no reason the OpenGL driver for the 6900 XT would be worse than the Vega 11 but I am no expert on the specifics.

Are you using a fresh install of RA? There is a chance that a stray config file is causing issues.

If you have the patience I suggest installing a temp new install of RA and both the Mega Bezel and my package. Just to rule out some possibilities.

1 Like

This is a completely new install of RA and yours and the HSM are the only additions to the shader folder, I have read many times how the 6900XT drivers aren’t that great (after i bought it) on open gl, i’ve had a few things not work for me that did work before on my old Vega 56 AMD GPU, but i’ve also had stuff not work on that that does work on this new GPU. I’m pretty sure its the GL driver that’s causing the issue not really sure how to prove it tho.

1 Like

No need. :grin: You can use the STD versions and just keep an eye on the AMD drivers. Maybe they’ll get better.

The OpenGL benchmarks I saw prove they could use some improvement… the performance drop was pretty huge from Vulkan to OpenGL.

Thanks for the mini advanture… I had been wanting to try my APU. I disabled it before i installed an OS.

Pretty dismal TBH, (The GTX 1050 walks all over it.) but it runs the Mega Bezel so that is good news.

4 Likes

AMD is pretty bad for OpenGL for some reason. It might be because Nvidia does OpenGL while AMD does Vulkan, as companies in general. Nvidia does do Vulkan as well to be clear. They are two different types of apis for graphics.

With Retroarch Nvidia can pick between GLCore or Vulkan while AMD is best with Vulkan.

Checkout for some responses: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/p3vxsn/why_does_amd_have_such_garbage_opengl_support/

1 Like

Those APU GPUs need fast RAM in order to realize their full potential. Are you running Dual Channel DDR4 3600MT/s or 3733MT/s RAM with it (at least CL16)?

2 Likes

Excuse me if already explained / answered but how can I have the green rendering for GameBoy system, just by selecting one of Duimon GameBoy presets ? Thanks again for your amazing work for the community

I had those by just using Duimon’s Gameboy Preset by default. To get the green make sure to have the latest Mega Bezel and Duimon’s most updated Graphics.

1 Like

Deleted everything - redownloaded - reinstalled and I have now the same green rendering - Thanks Just a bit too dark for my old eye :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can brighten it up by changing Post CRT Brightness.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your time and your help hgoda90 - Pushed to 3.0 and perfect for me <3

2 Likes

CL16 but only 3200. Benchmarks suggest the 1050 should outperform it anyway. I am not disappointed. :grin:

Any integrated GPU that runs the Mega Bezel is great news. I was told by some Batocera users that it runs on Vega but hadn’t tried it yet.

I am thinking my backup Ryzen PC is too pretty to put in a box, so I am planning on taking advantage of soon to fall GPU prices and using it to create a vertical 4K setup. Maybe I will gamble on one of the new Intel GPUs.

2 Likes

From my readings those Vega IGPs should also have some great overclocking headroom. Memory bandwidth is the primary bottleneck though. So you can get even more out of it if you require at some point or if just for fun.

I don’t know if I ever mentioned this but my GTX 1070s as well as my GTX 970 (I had a pair but one started acting up) are all overlooked. Not extreme overclock though. Not sure if that might be much of a factor as to why I’ve been able to run HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader ADV presets at 4K even with the old versions. It might have been a factor since GPU usage was close to the threshold.

Overclocking the 1070s were easy using MSI Afterburner and nVidia’s automated curve optimizer.

So you’re thinking of building or buying an arcade cabinet with a vertical screen to put it in? Feel free to elaborate for the less initiated like myself.

While this is one solution… I would personally turn up the Brightness on just the Tube Diffuse Color/Image. In addition, you could also lower the “CRT On Tube Diffuse Blend Amount”.

The Tube Diffuse Gamma setting would also work.

While the Post CRT Brightness is a great tool, I don’t like to use it when I have other options that give more fine control.

3 Likes