Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

There is multiple solutions to different problems with Mega Bezel, I have found. I thought of Post CRT Brightness because that was essentially the only thing I knew to do.

2 Likes

And it was a good solution. :grin:

BTW. I am starting work on the new versions of the PVM Standalone.

It should go pretty quickly. The built-in Top Extra Layer drop shadow works with a little Y adjustment to move it down, and turning up the Mipmapping Blend Bias all the way to give it some blur. (I did not expect the existing shadow layer to work so that is very cool.)

These new versions will be fully scalable and also have the automatic wide screen mode enabled.

Since the Background is separate you could also increase the scale and/or adjust the position separately if needed as the PVM was scaled.

5 Likes

The standalone PVMs are updated with the new versions.

Along the way I noticed that the reflection corner rotation offset was broken in all of my PVM presets. (They have probably been broken for a while.)

They are all fixed. :grin:

BTW… did you know I have 4272 presets? :astonished:

When did that happen?

5 Likes

Thanks @Duimon. Now I am going to have some work on my hands. I am going to get started once I run out of Bezels to make colors for.

2 Likes

You are welcome. The one caveat is that there aren’t enough image layers to put a decal on the PVM like the old standalones. :frowning_face:

I think the trade-off is worth it though. :grin:

2 Likes

Hey I was adding some flip horizontal/vertical controls to the colored gel, and fixing the flip viewport vertical problem with the colored gel and was experimenting with the tube diffuse image.

Here is Armor Attack with the diffuse image off:

Here it is with the diffuse image on and a touch of static tube reflection

Pretty interesting as it makes the whole thing brighter :face_with_monocle:

Oh Man :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I think the normal blending could produce the same results, but knowing this would give us another tool.

So… would we call that a feature or a bug? :thinking:

BTW. Thank you for adding the Gel flip stuff. If it is a core update side effect this will make it future proof.

2 Likes

Working on the Batocera decorations, it turns out there are some systems they can run in standalone MAME that I can’t run in RA.

For example the BBC Micro.

I thought I would investigate some more.

I managed to get it to run from the command line using a custom *.opt. and a mame.ini to load an autoboot script.

It must have an odd resolution because the Mega Bezel thinks it is vertical. I will have to add a horizontal parameter.

I haven’t checked, but if there isn’t an option to turn off the LED bar I will also have to crop it.

The forum I got the autoboot script from was using the Model B for floppies and the Master for cassettes. I don’t think it matters but I will probably add both to my MAME SL list.

Edit: using two different systems will allow me to use two different *.ini and autoboot scripts. :grin:

I am going to try a few more systems. I will post an updated list when I am done.

In the end I will release the *.opt and the *.ini along with a guide. It still requires the command line so using Launchbox or another front end will be recommended.

I tried to compile a custom MAME core to be able to use the standard SL method, (It wants to default to cassette.) but it doesn’t work as I expected and I don’t know enough to fix it. :frowning_face:

Edit: there isn’t an internal MAME setting to turn off the LED bar so cropping it is. :grin:

3 Likes

I would say it’s a feature, it’s really mimicking a more “realistic” effect of a crt surface which is gray rather than black.

Using more normal blending would actually make the game image darker, but the effect on the opaque parts of the gel would be similar.

No problem :smile:

3 Likes

We have the Bally Astrocade!

It has a bit in common with the Fairchild Channel F so I may be able to reuse some source! :grin:

This system works OTB using the standard SL method. I think I skipped it because it requires some keyboard input.

4 Likes

The image in vertical format looks more accurate, though and it’s look stretched in 4:3 screen as if it’s designed for vertical screens like Vectrex :sweat_smile:

I had the same feeling with Arcadia 2001 games.

Well call me surprised!

The Watara Supervision actually has an RA core and is not on my list. :astonished:

It has 64 playable games and looks a lot like the Game Boy.

That will be fun!

4 Likes

Also had this neat looking version.

2 Likes

Yep. Saw that too. I’ll do a mockup of both before I decide which version to do.

1 Like

Great to hear you’re adding it to your list :relaxed:

With lovely GB DMG shader

3 Likes

@Duimon while I am doing the Genesis Bezel color I found Genesis_Alt-[STD]-[Guest]-[Custom-Bezel_001] has some shader setting lines repeated in it.

I love the combination of the realistic dmg shader and the pixel art gameboy :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you!

The Alt Day and Night were both like that, along with the regular Night. (In the ADV, STD, and Lite.)

Good catch! I did a search just to make sure no other presets were afflicted.

Something like that, where the preset still loads, is really hard to see.

2 Likes

Yeah I had some with mine where I would do find and replace, and glitched text would get in the files somehow. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah. The 32x, SegaCD, SegaCD32x, and Genesis all share identical code… but there are a couple presets in between… so when I was copying the code from the CD32x to the Genesis I must have made an error.

I’m just glad it was confined to those few. :grin:

3 Likes