Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

That is a good thing. :smiley:

I just fixed the color to Genesis, copied the files to 32x, CD, and CD32X and finally did find and replace. So I didn’t really notice the coding problems with those three. I am doing my final testing now.

2 Likes

We will also have the Vtech CreatiVison.

This is with some cropping. It remains to be seen if it consistent so I can add parameters.

The controls are weird which makes getting a game to start a pain. Thankfully controls are not my concern. I just need to be able to run it before I do a graphic.

The new list reads…

RA Cores

• MegaDuck
  • Watara Supervision
  • zx81
  • uzebox
  • tic80
  • fds
  • Satallaview
  • 64DD
  • Nintendo Playstation Prototype (For MSU-1 games.)
  • WASM-4
  • Amiga 1000
  • Amiga 2000
  • Amiga 4000T

MAME Software Lists

• Apple 2e
  • Apple 2 GS
  • BBC Micro Model B
  • BBC Master
  • Casio PV-1000
  • Emerson Arcadia 2001
  • Entex Adventure Vision
  • Epoch Super Cassette vision
  • Gamepark GP32
  • Hartung Gamemaster
  • Watara Supervision
  • Fujitsu FM-7
  • Tandy CoCo 3
  • KenSingTon Vii
  • Vtech CreatiVision

One of the Batocera Devs just contacted me and made me aware they added the libretro port of MESS to Batocera. He is working on a list of possible additions to the Mega Bezel.

If there is anything new, and I can get it to run, we may see some more new items on the list.

5 Likes

I was doing some thinking and front ends like EmulationStation in Batocera and Launchbox, with the command line and Batocera Configurator, have a lot more power that using RA as the front end.

I am thinking of adding in systems that run on Batocera instead of limiting my graphics to things I can run in RA alone. I will just make a note in the readme if a system requires Batocera.

My decision really depends on the number of systems there are. So far I am able to run everything to a point. It is just that the SL method is limiting at times. (And liberating at others.)

3 Likes

I’m not sure the Mega Bezel resizing to fit the aspect ratio is realistic TBH.

Most of these old system were designed to run on simple dumb TVs or RGB monitors. The screen was completely filled by the game.

Back in the day I remember forcing text and graphic modes on my PC and regardless of the the pixel aspect (1:1, 2:1, 1:2) the screen was still filled. The BBC Micro has many pixel aspect ratios that effect the overall aspect ratio, e.g. we have 320x256 and 640x256 but both are intended to fill the same screen.

For this reason I usually force all my CRT presets to use 4:3 aspect. All my Batocera decorations do the same.

1 Like

Here is a shot of the BBC Master running a cassette tape.

Turns out there is an internal option to turn off the keyboard LEDs so cropping won’t be needed after all. :grin:

2 Likes

@hgoda90 Inspired me and I was playing around with a way to get a wooden bezel.

It is possible! :grin:

To do it right and have the Bezel also wooden, (With separate control of HSV.) I would need to use two image layers. That means it would be limited.

But it might be cool. :wink:

5 Likes

The best one for the wooden bezel is the Atari 2600, of course.

3 Likes

If I can get it to where I think it is good enough I was thinking the Atari 2600, the Channel F, and eventually the Bally Astrocade.

I should be able to do the custom Bezels too.

If I do it I will add them in as new presets.

4 Likes

Wanted to report that WonderSwan_Color_Vertical-[ADV]-[LCD-GRID] and its Night presets both have some rotation / scaling issues I guess.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll fix them ASAP.

3 Likes

WS Color vertical are fixed.

Weird that only the ADV were broken. :thinking:

Here is where I am at on the wooden Bezel.

It looks pretty good. :grin: It also scales well but there won’t be any adjusting the frame or bezel height/width.

I’m not sure about using it on the Atari etc but I might do a vintage TV from my imagination.

4 Likes

@Duimon I found an error with PVM20_01-[STD]-[Guest-Mini] which might be with the other Lite shaders too. #reference points to MBZ_3__STD__GDV-Mini when it should be MBZ__3__STD. A _ before 3 is missing.

4 Likes

Great catch! :star_struck:

There were 60 presets affected. My search & replace tool has a library and my saved search was wrong.

Repo has been updated.

4 Likes

Here is a new WIP on the wood bezel.

I used image trace to turn the raster texture into vector so it more closely matches the wood in my graphics.

Here is one with lighter wood.

And here is one with the bezel texture at a lower opacity and the bezel colored to match the wood.

I also changed the decal brightness and blend mode so the logo looked like it was branded on the wood and increased the opacity on the bezel shadow.

The last one shows promise. :grin:

9 Likes

Somehow I like the colour of the wood in the first picture the most. Seems the most authentic (and nostalgic) to me.

3 Likes

It was the method of using the opacity of the texture, combined with the color of the bezel, that I was referring to.

The other two required increasing the global reflection to compensate for the texture overlay.

2 Likes

Due to some great input by @TVsIan from the Batocera team… many systems have been added to my MAME list. The new list reads…

RA Cores

• 64DD
  • Amiga 1000
  • Amiga 2000
  • Amiga 4000T
  • fds
  • MegaDuck
  • Nintendo Playstation Prototype (For MSU-1 games.)
  • Satallaview
  • tic80
  • uzebox
  • WASM-4
  • Watara Supervision
  • zx81

MAME Software Lists

• Acorn Archimedes
  • Acorn Atom
  • Acorn Electron
  • Apple 2 GS
  • Apple 2e
  • Bally Astrocade
  • BBC Master
  • BBC Micro Model B
  • Camputers Lynx
  • Casio PV-1000
  • Coleco Adam
  • Emerson Arcadia 2001
  • Entex Adventure Vision
  • Epoch Super Cassette vision
  • Fujitsu FM-7
  • Funtech Super A'Can
  • Gamepark GP32
  • Hartung Gamemaster
  • KenSingTon Vii
  • Macintosh 128k
  • Macintosh IIx
  • Macintosh LC III
  • Macintosh Plus
  • Tandy CoCo 3
  • Tiger Game.com
  • Tomy Tutor
  • Vtech CreatiVision
  • Vtech Socrates

They are ordered alphabetically not preferentially.

It is really fun to play some of the old Macintosh monochrome games.

The Acorn Archimedes is also great fun!

4 Likes

Man, I spent a lot of time in dark castle!

7 Likes

Thanx @Duimon

Any chance you can create bezels for

• Bally Astrocade
  • Entex Adventure Vision
  • Emerson Arcadia 2001
1 Like

Check out his list above, it is of all the graphics he will be making in the future.