Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Duimon_MB_Logo

The Duimon-Mega-Bezel repo and release are updated to v1.0.0.8.

The Potato repo is unchanged.

Changes:

• Added 21x9 overlays to the _Backgrounds folder
  • Fixed the Watara Supervision and Mega Duck ambient clipping. (Again.)

The link to the current releases are in the first post. Installation/Update instructions are near the end of the second.

4 Likes

Is the ambient clipping a horizontal white line that goes through the background?

1 Like

Nope, the ambient layer was cropping the device.

Why? Is there a line going through the background?

Can I see a screenshot?

1 Like

No… it was an issue I have had with other presets and was curious as to whether that clipping was the same thing. I posted about it, here… the screenshot is not good… harder to see the line than it is on my screen.

White Lines Outside Screen Area with Shader? - RetroArch Additions / Shaders - Libretro Forums

1 Like

I posted a comment in the linked thread by mistake… :grin:

1 Like

7 Likes

Beautiful work @Duimon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: you guys have a great new year!! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

3 Likes

Here is a potential list of guides.

• Mega Bezel - Beginners Guide: Installing Retroarch, the Mega Bezel, the Duimon pack, loading a preset, and saving a content directory preset.

• Mega Bezel - Basic: Mega Bezel Image layers - Introduction.

• Mega Bezel - Intermediate: Mega Bezel Image layers - HSV, Blending modes, and follow parameters.

• Mega Bezel - Advanced: Mega Bezel Image layers - Gel, Diffuse, and Screen reflection.

• Mega Bezel - Advanced: Generating Potato backgrounds using shader tools. Converting to overlays using an image editor.

• Duimon presets: Introduction and folder layout.

• Duimon presets: Local and global overrides.

• Presets: Converting standalone Guest derivatives to reference params.

• Presets: Consolidating multiple reference presets for use as reference params.

• Overlays - Duimon presets: Using the global “screen only” override with overlays for performance.

• Overlays: Using Photo editors to get accurate coordinates. Manually creating override configs.

• MAME Core - Biginners Guide: Using the standard Software List method to run non-arcade machines.

• MAME Core - Inermediate: Using the command line and advanced core settings. Using a *.cmd as content.

• MAME Core - Advanced: Using Lua scripts.

I would like to get some feedback, since these guides are for you.

What would you like to see?

6 Likes

This looks great. I’m sure this would fall under one of those categories, but a breakdown of what each parameter does, specifically, I think would really help people.

2 Likes

That is a pretty good idea, but the number of parameters is huge. (527 for just the Mega Bezel specific parameters, not including Guest ADV etc.)

A lot of them are redundant and will be incidentally covered by these guides.

@HyperspaceMadness has a fairly comprehensive description in his Mega Bezel Readme.md. Converting that to an online guide format is doable. (It may need to be brought up to speed with the current release.)

Thanks for the suggestion!

I plan on adding these to the guide section of my GitHub Pages site.

Hopefully the Mega Bezel team can also make them available “Elsewhere”. :wink:

Additionally, YouTube video guides are on the future table.

6 Likes

I think a guide for Ambient Lighting would be a good help.

3 Likes

I’ll add that into the advance image layer guide. Thanks!

We’ll see how cumbersome the guide starts to get. I may split the advanced guides into individual layers. (Gel, Diffuse, Screen Reflection, Ambient Lighting etc.)

Another option would be to use my TV6 Alternate and/or Vectrex preset and walk through reverse engineering it/them.

3 Likes

Nice list. I’m super interested in all of the MAME Core guides. Using Lua scripts for some of the more obscure systems would be cool to learn.

Happy New Year!

Hiya, happy new year! :star_struck:

Does anyone use Duimons’ presets on their SteamDeck?

I’m having a scaling issue with the Gameboy presets, my viewport looks vertically ‘smushed’, a little wider than what it is supposed to be:

(Gameboy-[STD]-[Guest]-[Bezel].slangp)

Also, there are noticeable scanline ‘bands’ in the presets:

(Gamecube-[STD]-[Guest]-[TM20].slangp)

I’m assuming this is unavoidable when using scanlines on a small screen? In the shader parameters, is it possible to disable the scanlines? Are there preferred shader settings for the steamdecks 1280x800 resolution?

1 Like

For the Game Boy, I am using “Auto” aspect ratio. You can change it to explicit and use 1.11 as the explicit aspect.

HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_EXPLICIT = "1.110000"

For the Gamecube, and other CRT, presets you can change the CRT Curvature Scale Multiplier to 0. (At the expense of some cropping in the corners.

You can try some other setting here too, like 50. Anything smaller that 100 will have less moire.

I think I may go through the handheld presets and define explicit parameters for everything. I have done that in my soon to be released boilerplate presets but the legacy are still using “auto” and “PAR” in some cases.

2 Likes

Good night. Do you have this image in 8k so I can try to adapt it to vertical?

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the help @Duimon !

Just to clarify, i can add these parameters to the slang config file, correct?

HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = “1.000000” HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_EXPLICIT = “1.110000”

RATIO_MODE 1 = explicit, correct?

3 Likes

Yep… and 1.11 is the real world aspect of the GB and GBC screens.

2 Likes

Nope, that was a raster image in 1080p.

I do have a 4K Version of the Naomi, and vector source so a 4k vertical would be easy to generate.

It was intended for a landscape screen so there is nothing above or below what you see. I honestly think there is better source for a 4K vertical setup.

Someday I may do a 4k vertical version that includes a blank marquee but I have no immediate plans.

7 Likes

this is really nice :heart_eyes: i was searching for an good naomi photo for my overlays but with no look…and i want the marquee part too :grin:

1 Like