Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

The horizontal is fixed.

I am not actually rotating anything. The shader shows the vertical graphic when a vertical aspect game is loaded. If you load the wrong aspect you will get a black background.

With MAME I could get away with just one preset and two image paths but with the others there are too many variables, I can’t know what arcade core will be used.

3 Likes

Ahh, I gotcha. I probably worded it weirdly when I first started typing :grin: I got the idea to go look inside the shaders after I stated typing and didn’t think to re-word what I had started.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the maintenance work! It’s never as fun as the creative side. I’m def loving the OCD organization! :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, not exactly fun, but very rewarding.

If you add up all my presets, @TheNamec’s, @soqueroeu’s, (I hope soon @akuma22), and @Orionsangel’s there is an astounding number of ready to go presets/graphics that have been developed with/for the Mega Bezel.

I don’t think either @HyperspaceMadness or I could ever have imagined it a year ago. :exploding_head:

8 Likes

We are the world

We are designers

We are the ones who make a brighter day,

so let’s start giving :grin: :grin: :innocent:

6 Likes

maybe creator could follow the same structure of presets?Every body do whta they want but a “normalize” could be great?

2 Likes

I don’t expect or want @HyperspaceMadness to change his folder structure. (It would break things anyway.)

As far as normalizing goes, I added in Basic etc. presets after being inspired by @TheNamec’s RC1, he is changing the name of his base folder to be more in line with mine.

Within this small community there is already a move towards normalization.

There will never be absolute compliance because we individual artists make use of the shader features in different ways. To do otherwise would be a an injustice to the HSM’s keen vision.:grin:

4 Likes

Plus, I’d like to add, even though great leaps have been made in this overall project. Things are still in flux to an extent. (I’m not specifically talking about @Duimon’s end of this project, just the project in a general sense, like I’m lumping HSM’s, Duimon’s and others work together)

What I mean is, as time progresses, we’ll most likely just fall into a normalization of certain (structures).

My point is, give it time kids, stuff will get to a semi-standardized/standardized point eventually. (Like people don’t just wake up and make a new format standard, stuff happens over time; yeah the basic idea may happen overnight, but the end result doesn’t imo)

3 Likes

About your graphics: @Duimon, this just keeps getting better. :speak_no_evil:

X68k and X1 Twin are amazing!!

2 Likes

Small update to the Basic graphics and presets. I added thin bezels to the NDS and 3DS, they were the last that needed them.

I will start work on the Basic with Reflection presets. It should go really quickly! :grin:

5 Likes

I have all the CRT Basic_Reflection presets in the repo. There isn’t currently a Basic_Reflection LCD-GRID base preset, so they will have to wait. (@HyperspaceMadness has assured me that the LCD-GRID oversight and night layer bug are on his todo list.)

While I was working on the reflection presets I found that certain qualities of my vector bezel/frame HSM clone are less than perfect. (Specifically my corner highlights are inverted, and my frame width and general scaling are a touch off the Mega Bezel standard.)

I was going to put off fixing these imperfections until later… I have changed my mind.

Looking at my list of RA cores, (Not MAME SL.) aside from the SEGA Pico the systems left are all Amiga systems.

SInce @TheNamec is making steady progress on an outstanding release, I don’t feel a burning need to start work on them right away. :wink:

Making the changes to the bezel is the easy part. Once the changes are made I’ll need to update every RA Overlay graphic that uses them. It will take some time. :upside_down_face:

Hopefully there will be an update to the shader by then and I can continue work on the LCD and night Basic presets.

4 Likes

OK. The easy part is done. Here is my new bezel.

Everything should now match up with the current default generated bezel. (Screen size, screen curvature, bezel scale, bezel height and width, bezel inner/outer corner radius, frame width and corner radius, etc.)

This should make it super simple for me to redo the reflection presets. (Currently I have to adjust the bezel height and width.)

On to the tough part. :grin:

6 Likes

I liked!

It seems to be cleaner and more detailed. Congratulations @Duimon !

Hey, how can I have this blank screen effect instead of absolute black?

1 Like

I haven’t added any more details but it is more intentional. Thanks!

I am saving it this way in Photoshop. If you want something like this to be there all the time you can use the normal blending parameters on a Gel Layer image and use the “Show CRT on top of Colored Gel Normal” parameter. (Although I haven’t used it this way, it might be an interesting way to brand as opposed to the logo animation.) (It also may not work OTB.)

1 Like

Thinking about this, I think the only way to get it to work would be to use the [CRT SCREEN LAYER] “ADD” blending mode, which is only in the Advanced preset. (@HyperspaceMadness Is this intentional?)

It would also show all the time, even while playing a game. (Like a watermark.)

I don’t think a watermark is a good idea. :frowning_face:

If you wanted to use it just for screenshots, you would create the image and load it as content. (RA has a built-in image viewer core.) (That is how I acquired the image I am showing.)

@HyperspaceMadness uses this method a lot in his thread, when showing new shader features.

2 Likes

Hmm, I think for standard you can use HSM_STANDARD_BG_SHOW_OVER_SCREEN and set the background to ADD mode

But I can look into it to see if it should really be more consistent with the others :thinking:.

1 Like

Yeah but the the parameter I am referring to sets the CRT to add so the background, or normal Gel would show through.

I’m not saying we should give this feature to the standard, but since it has the Gel layer I thought I would ask.

Is there anything else keeping the standard from doing things like the TRON example?

1 Like

As I was hoping, my new bezel is an exact match to HSM’s generated bezel, everything lines up perfectly. All I need to do is change the reference preset to Basic_Reflect, no other adjustments are needed! :partying_face:

Even my frame inner edge lines up exactly. :astonished:

5 Likes

So what I described is what achieves the TRON example, although it feels a bit counterintuitive

3 Likes

I was sure the CRT add mode was for using a Backdrop.

It even says so in the parameter. :thinking:

3 Likes