Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Heh, yeah it is :slight_smile: I thought back to why I had set it up like this, and it’s something that was done specifically for the basic presets, so you can do the Tron thing, or an overlay type behaviour with a single background image.

I think I’ll take another look at it though, it might able to be adjusted to be more similar to how it’s done in the advanced preset.

2 Likes

Hey folks. :grin:

I have finished converting all of my RA overlay templates to use my new bezel. (Those that use it.)

Including the No-Curvature set I have just finished generating 388 4K PNGs. :exploding_head:

The next step is to move them all to there new home. I will be using most in the Basic presets so they will have multiple dwellings.

Then I have to modify all the presets that use the bezel. I am hoping that, given the exactness of my bezel, I can simply remove any custom scaling and bezel height/width parameters. Wish me luck. :wink:

4 Likes

I am kind of blown away! :exploding_head:

My old Atari_800 Basic_Reflect preset looks like this…

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__BASIC-REFLECT__GDV.slangp"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_EXPLICIT = "1.319300"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "85.769958"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_THICKNESS = "40.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "90.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "93.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "55.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_FADE = "5.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_INNER_SPREAD = "0.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_OUTER_SPREAD = "280.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_ROTATION_OFFSET_TOP = "-4.500000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_ROTATION_OFFSET_BOTTOM = "-4.500000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/_Basic/Atari_800/Atari_800.png"

Lots of tiny tweaks to make it work.

The new one looks like this…

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__BASIC-REFLECT__GDV.slangp"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_BZL_NOISE = "10.000000"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/_Basic/Atari_800/Atari_800.png"

The aspect ratio at 4:3 is the only real requirement. :grin:

I will probably manually add whatever the default Non-integer scale setting is right now just in case HSM decides to change it down the road.

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness If I add .000001 to the default scale would it be enough to keep it when I save?

Edit: Apparently I need to add at least .005. :grin: (And then it gets changed a bit so the final value is HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "82.974998".

That works for me, at .005 the change is imperceptible.

2 Likes

Cool! :smiley:

Yeah when I put in the simple presets feature I needed to have a minimum threshold of difference between the current value and the loaded value to know if they were different enough to log as a changed value.

4 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Community

The paths in my presets have been changed!

In a move to normalize installations, and keep the shaders folder clean and tidy, the Mega Bezel artistic community has agreed to make it possible to install our various releases in a “Mega_Bezel_Community” folder. (Within the shader folder.)

AFAIK we are all now using relative paths to our assets and absolute paths to HSM’s base presets.

This means that adoption of the standard is not mandatory.

In an effort to promote this standard I have changed the path in the Git installation guide.

Most of this will have no effect on usage, but if you decide to adopt the new standard, (And I hope you will.) and are referencing any of my presets, you will need to update your paths.

The only other side effect is that my Vectrex game overrides will now require the graphics to be in the config folder. I have added the graphics to my VecX folders.

As always, keep me informed of any bugs you find and I will fix them. :grin:

9 Likes

I forgot to mention that I have put in the work to convert all my Overlay templates to use my new bezel, and used them to generate all new overlays for the “standard”, “no-curvature”, and “Hybrid” overlays. (Night versions of the standard and no-curvature have also been updated.)

A total of over 400 graphics were generated. :exploding_head:

The standard overlays have also replaced all my old CRT Basic preset graphics. :grin:

Hmmm. :thinking: I guess I did mention this. I just forgot to include the Hybrid overlays. :innocent:

6 Likes

You got a typo boi

Big bold in the first line…

3 Likes

That’s the second time that’s happened. :rofl:

(If you remember the IBM 5151 typo. :grin:)

(Third if you saw that I cut & pasted this error into the top post. Not a terrible average for 948 posts.)

4 Likes

I don’t know why but I always gravitate towards testing Vectrex first before any others. :laughing: Then I notice i don’t quite get full speed and it makes me want to go upgrade my laptop!

Seriously though, it’s almost as much fun to admire the graphics of shaders and overlays now as it is to try and actually play games for certain systems.

3 Likes

Here’s a new WIP folks!

I originally wanted to do something that showed the top half, and use cartridge art for each US game.

Problem is, there is no available cartridge art. :frowning_face:

I decided to concentrate on the bottom half of the console instead, which keeps things more similar to the rest of the graphics. :grin:

I found an image of a SEGA Pico kiosk monitor, and created it for the second shot. It’s actually a plastic/rubber shell that fits over a TV. (Shading is off, I will fix that.)

I think it looks pretty good. It may not stand up to some of my best, but I think I accomplished what I intended… lot’s of color to engage the interest of toddlers. (If their parents let them play.)

11 Likes

Here’s another WIP.

I fixed the outer highlights on the monitor and added some shading to the pen and pen holder to give them some dimension. (They were looking pretty flat. :wink:)

4 Likes

I made what I think is my last OCD pass on this.

I added some shading on the base of the pen, tweaked the center highlight to match, played a little with the logo bevel, and lengthened the pen cradle just a bit.

8 Likes

Here’s a new WIP everyone.

The Commodore 64C! :grin:

Unlike most of the keyboard style computers, the 64C (And VIC/64 also I am guessing.) is just about the perfect aspect ratio for a 16:9 screen. Since I could, I went ahead and created the whole keyboard.

About half way through I almost changed my mind. (These keyboard details can really be time consuming. :frowning_face:) 90% of the battle is finding the right font. While this isn’t perfect it is pretty close. (I had to create a few letters myself.)

I did get lucky and find a source for the extended character symbols. They just needed some tweaking. :wink:

I am going add it to my Deviant Art portfolio since it is a complete reproduction.

I will be working on a monitor for it next. Although @TheNamec has done the 1084s I will probably do one of my own, so it is cohesive.

After that I will be diving back into presets to catch up with the upcoming changes to the shader so I will be ready when it is released. These last two graphics will not be added to the repo until then.

10 Likes

!!Hey!!

I just hooked up my two new 28" ASUS 4K monitors. :partying_face:

The colors are richer, the blacks are blacker, and (Not to brag too much. :wink:) boy do my graphics look great in 4K! :star_struck:

18 Likes

do you know why only PlayStation does everything upside down?

All the others work beautiful.

**EDIT…

Scratch that, just noticed the flip vertical setting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To think you considered passing on making higher resolution overlays! Congrats. I need to replace mine and stop pestering people on including Adobe RGB presets :smiley:

Here is a WIP on my version of the Commodore 1084s Monitor.

Not really a WIP since I think it is pretty much done. :grin:

Time to dive into some presets. (A lot of under the hood changes coming to the Mega Bezel.) Don’t expect any new graphics for a while, there are a lot of changes and tweaks to be made, all the Basic with Reflection need to be redone, some monochrome monitor presets to add, (In 3 flavors, thanks to @guest.r and @TheNamec, and I will probably create a couple new monochrome monitors to work with.)

Before I am done with those there may be another Base preset class to work with so there will be that to accommodate.

So much fun to be had!! :crazy_face:

And as always, thanks @HyperspaceMadness for the incredible playground he has provided us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

For those that may be interested. I followed the example set by @BendBombBoom in a private conversation and bought a SpyderX Pro monitor color calibrator.

For the first time in almost three decades of having a dual monitor setup, both my monitors show the exact same color. :astonished: (And apparently it is accurate color!)

2 Likes

So… a few things have happened in the last few days.

1. I am using some great new monitors.

2. The private alpha version of the shader has got some new cool features.

3. The MAME (Current) core has been updated to 0.234)

#1 means I have to adjust a few images that I added contrast to. (It feels like the need was actually a hardware deficiency not a graphical one.)

#2 means I can play with some cool new features. Including the ability to change the screen color palette to grayscale, amber, or green.

#3 means that the PDP-1 MAME machine, can benefit from a request I made to the developers that was granted in 0.234… the PDP-1 now has a SL hash XML, and Spacewar! can be loaded using the standard SL method instead of the command line. :partying_face:

Here’s a new WIP shot using the 0.234 core.

A couple things have changed here. I lowered the contrast and increased the brightness on the monitor. (I think it looks more “front-lit” as I intended.)

There is no longer any need for me to do a custom compile… After turning the screen to grayscale, I have complete control of the screen and lamp colors using multiplied overlay layers.

The Cabinet glass layer is now a full screen image, but applied to only one screen. (The monitor.) I am using the Decal layer for the other (The panel.) in the same way.

After watching a few videos of the system in action I saw that the screen actually had a Cyan-ish cast to it, and was pretty bright.

I changed the color of my overlay layer and, instead of increasing the brightness, increased the glow and persistence. (Brightness would have effected everything, the glow around the lamps is hidden because the circles are transparency that let a portion of the square lamp show through.)

I think it all looks better than ever! :grin:

12 Likes