Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

@AcidCrash

Here’s another.

Full disclosure… I made this one up also. :grin:

3 Likes

Here’s another!

This one’s based on a real TV. :upside_down_face:

To make it work, some adjustments are needed to the Frame width and Frame edge shading.

I think three is enough for now. Maybe I’ll add more once I’m done with all the cores.

Thanks @AcidCrash for the idea. :grinning:

I may have some time tomorrow to get the RA Overlay, Hybrid, and presets done. Then I’ll add them to the repo.

5 Likes

@Duimon Happy to help. Small nit-picking I believe that on TV3 (non-vertical) two inside grill rows are misaligned.

1 Like

They are, intentionally. :wink: This is the way Toshiba designed the TV.

1 Like

The TV speaker graphics, RA Overlay, Hybrid, and presets are in the repo.

Enjoy!

Due to limitations in my source there will not be TV3 RA Overlay or Hybrid versions.

Also, you may notice that there are no Night Hybrid versions. As it sits there is no easy way to do this and it kind of defeats the purpose.(Low powered hardware.) Just in case anyone was wondering.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’ve got a couple of things to show you. (Get ready to read a book. :innocent:)

First. Let me tell you that HSM has been working on this like it’s his full-time job. I don’t know how he finds time for a personal life. (Hat’s off to you my friend.)

What I do know is that he and I had to create a new private thread because we maxed out the number of messages in our first thread. No matter how crazy of an idea I throw at him, he is not fazed. :star_struck:

Here are some teaser shots at what he (And I.) have been doing. <<< He has been doing all the hard work, I get to have all the fun.

HSM has been working on adding image layers, with the intent of mimicking some of the features of RA overlays, and more importantly, MAME layouts.

What you see here is:

• The Top Image layer as the background

• The Bezel Image layer as the arcade cabinet.

• The Glass Bezel layer as the Cabinet glass art.

• The Gel layer which is in multiply mode and turns a B & W game into a color one.

• The Background as a cabinet backdrop.

You’ll notice the Cabinet is a different color in the second and third shot. This is done by Hue, Saturation, & Value parameter in the shader. (Keep in mind that it is a Hue offset. You will need to start with a fairly saturated base and can adjust from there. There is no way to add color or saturation to an unsaturated image.)

And in case you think that there is no room for a reflection bezel…

Here we are not using a Gel or Backdrop image. Again you can see the different colored cab.

The plan is to make all the layers (Correct me if I get something wrong @HyperspaceMadness. :wink:) with the exception of the Night layer, share most scaling & masking features, they can be scaled following the tube, background, bezel, decal layer, etc. So when you scale one they all follow. They can be masked to show the tube, bezel, frame, bezel & frame, or background. Although they will be labeled with an intent, the end use will be up to the user, depending on which layer depth they desire for an image. Only the Night and Bezel Image layers will have an HSV adjustment.

In addition HSM is creating an independent mask that starts at the center and can be scaled with aspect, scaled along the X axis, and positioned along the Y axis. The end user can choose which layers use this “Cut-out”.

The idea is that anyone, not just artists, can simply edit the image paths and all the positioning, sizing, blending modes, opacity, masking, etc. can be done in the parameters in real-time.

HSM is also working to add image path variables to the RA shaders so, for example, all your horizontal MAME games could share the same cabinet art using a single shader preset. The Glass Bezel art (And background image etc.) would be pulled in automatically.

Tragically, this last feature is far out as he is now working on a fairly tragic setback that will delay a significant release to the shader for a while. :frowning_face:

I will let him elaborate more on that when he chooses.

WOW! That was a lot of text. :laughing:

Let me leave you with this last teaser.

The GCE Vectrex.

For now the screen overlays are raster images. Unlike RA and MAME these have two parts:

The transparent part uses the Gel layer and is a full screen image scaled to fit the tube. It has both multiply blending to change the color of the game, and additive blending to change the color of the screen. Both parameters can be adjusted.

The opaque part is using the Bezel Glass layer and is scaled following the tube. It’s brightness and opacity can be adjusted.

The background image is separate and can be replaced with an image of your choosing. (As you can see in the third shot.)

The Vectrex and controllers are using the Bezel Image layer, which is also scaled following the tube, so you can do this…

…by simply scaling and positioning the tube in the parameters. :star_struck:

I plan on converting the common overlays (That can be found on libretro.) to vector as my first new project after I finish this one. I will be doing both standard one piece images for RA overlays, and two piece versions for the shader. In the meantime we can use the standard versions without the added benefit of a multiply on the game.

After that I may do some of my favorite arcade bezel glass.

I am currently working on a vector version of the raster cabinet I used in the first few shots. I will also be using the Decal layer for T-molding and speakers. I will do a few different speaker styles.

The T-molding and speakers will wait until I finish the rest of the core graphics.

Until next time my friends. :upside_down_face:

Please join me in thanking @HyperspaceMadness for his tireless work.

15 Likes

Thanks for all the great work on this @Duimon

Here’s my PSA on the current state of shader development :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I mostly use a CRT border for anything 16 bit and below, I like the Toshiba from above. I had a nice Samsung 29" flat screen CRT TV. Do you accept requests?

1 Like

That truly looks amazing and looks next level for sure. I am very excited to keep up with the progress!

1 Like

Do you have a good photo of it?

1 Like

I wish, I donated it years ago, the only pictures I can find of it are bad, like this one: image

And this

I’d be happy with something similar, I can only find this one:

1 Like

@aorin1

Although I think the last pic is a different TV from the first two, I think I can work with it. That is a funky hole pattern on the speaker grill, it will be a fun challenge to reproduce it.

With the other three that I did I used a dual speaker setup for the vertical layout. Since this has such a pronounced bezel I will just use it.

Give me a little time. :wink:

On second thought, I think the first two examples will fill the space better. :grin:

1 Like

Fantastic!

Please, make a generic cabinet for all propose! Good job my friend!!

1 Like

Yes my friend! If you read the post, that’s the idea. :grinning:

I’m glad you like it.

Sadly, the cab will take some time, and it will depend on a lot of development. Eventually though, the world will never be the same. :upside_down_face:

@aorin1

How’s this for a first WIP.

It takes a little fiddling with the non-integer scaling and Y position. I chose to hide the frame on the bezel. If you can remember the color of the Power LED I can do an LED layer for Night mode. :grin: I can also change the color of the wall if you like.

And now for the ulterior motive.

Thus far these have been generic backgrounds for games. This last one, and a fairly vintage RCA console I will do next, are for the FFMPEG core.

So we can watch our favorite classic television shows the way they were intended! :innocent:

Of course you can play games on them too. :wink:

8 Likes

Star Trek in its scanline glory…oh yeah! Looks great!

Fantastic! I used this TV for around ten years and here it is. There are two things for it to be perfect. It’s a flat screen CRT and the dark grey area is a little brighter, like the first two pictures. You did it really quickly and with such professional skills. Congratulations! As for the LED color, it was red, is the left thingy the sensor or it’s another LED? I’m not sure, but here I can see it is red, though, I believe this TV only had it turned on in stand by.

As a side-note, I almost bought this TV from someone last month.

I think there is room for an alternate version of this graphic.

So I did a lighter version of the inner part. :grin:

As far as the flat screen goes, you can play with the shader bezel settings until you like it. (As I did in the shot.)

Along the way I did an OCD pass. Specifically, I changed the size of the power button and logo, and moved the logo down a bit. It may be less accurate, but it allows me to do an RA overlay and hybrid version because the screen can now be centered. (Does not require a Y position adjustment.)

Of course you can play with the position also.

I’ll probably have the logo use the Decal layer so it’s size and position can be changed.

Since the power LED is only on while the TV is off, then we’ll just ignore it.

BTW. I think the other rectangle is a small IR window. At least that’s what I’m calling it in the source.

3 Likes

I only wish I had your skills. Brilliant!

1 Like

I had a CRT TV like this 3 years ago. Used to play Wii console. It was definitely my last console. I sold everything to be with the emulation.

The TV codename is CLl 21m21mq. Considered here in my country one of the best CRT TVs created by Samsung.

I like her very much. Really really good TV!

1 Like