Help adding artificial vibrant colors to a shader

Hi folks ,

When it comes to persevering detail , CRT shaders are unmatched . However I do believe that they require high nits displays. perhaps D-QLED or micro-LED would help in the future.

So I went about trying combinations that would help to make a non-crt shder , with the intent to preserve detail , color and maintain sharpness.

I’m satisfied with the look of the shader on some of the games ( particularly those with realistic non anime style )

However , the colors are a bit non vibrant and dull , does anybody knows how to add some sort of artificial vibrant colors or basically make it 1:1 with “no shader”

Due to the 4 MB limit of the site , I have uploaded the album on imgur

I noticed that the images aren’t as good as they look like in game , you will definitely get better result trying the shader your self but it’s hardware intensive

Here is the shader ( I haven’t made any of those ,just combined them) the repeated shaders are for added effect

https://mega.nz/file/FIRDlSLQ#57YIYCJTJejHF1bap3rT_PLPr4HkfwTov-tXDi0fEkg

The sorta dithering artificating from the sharpening makes it feel like a .jpg saved over and over too many times. Color wise I think the best you can do is add contrast. Nothing will be as vibrant as the raw pixels other than adding the color adjustments you find the /misc folder.

Man , you dug up an old grave of mine :upside_down_face:

I was so fascinated (still is) with ESRGAN results

that I tried to get as close as possible with shaders , an endeavor I failed miserably

I use CRT shader like everyone else , I tend to use a very tame scanlines to preserve colors

Some pics:

Sounds like you were like me, a while ago. Except I was impressed with Waifu2x. Then I discovered how much I like sharp scanlines, and how much better they make old games look. Never looked back. Of course, a realtime waifu2x scaler would still be nice :slight_smile:

Agreed, retro games were designed with CRT in mind.That being said, most CRT shaders I tried comes with a heavy tax on brightness and color fidelity . As I mentioned above, I myself use a CRT shader but I’m attached to the colors of the raw pixels(no shader)