How to play multidisc games? (PS1, Dreamcast, ect..)

I’m new to Lakka and before I get started, I would like to have a tutorial on importing multidisc games if possible. Also, once I figure out how everything works, I will be designing overlays and various other things for Lakka.

Well this is kinda messy as getting clean accepted Bin/cue files can be a bit tricky in terms of multidisc games. I typically make an .m3u file using a program like notepad++ that links to the .cue files in question of the multidisc game.

For example. Lets say I have Grandia PSX edition. This is a two disk game that has some fun cut scenes and voice acting. First have your games extracted so that you can link to the cue file (or various other files that are available like img files) once you have the game extracted to the Lakka roms folder in question (I don’t know your directory tree so lets assume it’s /storage/roms/PlayStation) now at this point you can either scan your games and deal with two entries for the game, (not sure how good this solution is and assuming your copy matches what Lakka is expecting) or we can start making the m3u and manually edit the playlist. This takes more work, but leaves a cleaner interface with a disc swap option in the settings screen. Now at this time it would be a good idea to make sure your game images actually run. Last thing you want is to go through all this work to find that the game doesn’t even start due to being a bad dump or something.

The M3U file is a simple file that Lakka can use to link multi disc games with each other so that disc swapping can be done easily and cleanly. So in the case of the above example of Grandia, assuming that it comes out as .bin and .cue files for both parts of the game, the following would be what would be written in your m3u file.

Grandia CD1.cue Grandia CD2.cue

At which point you save it as Grandia.m3u, make sure it’s in the same directory as the linked files in question, and that part is done. Now to the fun part… making the edit to the playlist file. You will find those in /storage/playlists in this case with it being PlayStation you will have a file called Sony - PlayStation.lpl in that directory. Open that with your text editor of choice you will be adding the following lines to that lpl file

/storage/roms/PlayStation/Grandia.m3u Grandia /tmp/cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so PlayStation (PCSX ReARMed) DETECT Sony - PlayStation.lpl

Now this is assuming that you use the default directory paths and on a ARM board. If you are using X86 you will not be using PCSX ReARMed. So adjust this to match what other entries happen to look like.

After all of this when you get to the PlayStation section of your main Lakka menu. You will find your listing for the game you just made the m3u for. When you get to the point in the game that it is time to swap discs, you just drop back to the lakka menu (without exiting the game so the home button on your controller or whatever you have yours set to (mine is set to pressing L3 and R3 at the same time) and when you come into the lakka screen go to options and scroll down to the swap disc option. select the next disc and move on.

The other suggestion on this thread seems a little complicated so I’ll show you what I’ve done - combine each image file into a single EBOOT file.

The benefits of doing this: -one Memory Card file for all of the disks in your game -one menu item for the game -you save space on your memory card as the images are compressed -the latest Lakka scraper can recognise these files as PSX games and gives them the correct title.

To create the EBOOT file, follow this guide: http://www.consolespot.net/forums/psp-help-tutorials/29967-tut-making-multi-disc-game-into-1-eboot.html

After creating the EBOOT, rename it to whatever you like and place into your Lakka ROM directory.

When playing the game, use the Lakka menu to change disks. You need to first choose “open disk tray”, then switch disk, then “close disk tray” in that order.

One more thing: You don’t need .CUE files to run games. If you have an ISO or an EBOOT, you can delete the .CUE files.

You could also just run google search and look for a .pbp file. PSX to PSP. I’m sure you will find something. Beats having to use that software to convert it.