How to run Amiga roms

I’ve done some digging and I think I’m getting close to a solution, but I need a couple helpful nudges to get this done.

I’m trying to get some Amiga roms working. Well, let me rephrase…they DO seem to work, but I don’t know how to operate them LOL. When I fire up an Amiga rom, I get presented with what looks to be some sort of initial startup screen. The controller doesn’t seem to work here and if I attach a mouse for the cursor, it moves VERY fast. After doing some digging, I found that there is a way to bypass this screen and jump straight to the game. Apparently this is done via a config file with the extension UAE. Then this UAE file needs to point to a kick.rom file as well as whatever game you are wanting to run. Then you call that UAE file when you want to play that certain game.

Seems like a (relatively!) straightforward process. Where I run into trouble is it seems like perhaps the kick.rom file I’m trying to use SEEMS to be working…I get an unfamiliar screen showing up with numbers at the bottom, but the game doesn’t load. I’m not sure if it is because I have the wrong kick.rom file, or if there is some other consideration that I’m overlooking.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

You should try to create configuration file to launch the game,please check this postand adapt the path.

1 Like

Like I said in my post, I’ve created a config file and have attempted to use it. But for whatever reason, I’m still stuck and I’m not sure why.

1 Like

Here is my config file:

kickstart_rom_file=/storage/cores/Kickstart 3.1 (40.069) (A1200) (Commodore) (1993).romchipmem_size=1 bogomem_size=2 use_gui=no nr_floppies=2 cpu_type=68000 cpu_speed=real cpu_compatible=true ntsc=false chipset=ocs immediate_blits=false gfx_linemode=double gfx_framerate=1 sound_output=normal sound_frequency=44100 sound_channels=mixed sound_interpol=none show_leds=true floppy_speed=100 gfx_center_vertical=smart gfx_center_horizontal=smart gfx_color_mode=16 floppy0=/storage/ROMs/Amiga/StarTrekGame.zip

1 Like

Try to rename your kickstart file to kick.rom and for your amiga disk, try to provide adf file not zip as it is not supported if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Is there already a kick.rom supplied by Lakka? The one I pointed to was one I got from https://www.amigaroms.net/. I’ll try pointing to the adf file. I’d left it as a zip file because I remember reading somewhere that Lakka roms need (or should) remain in zip form.

1 Like

Lakka doesn’t provide any bios. You don’t need to keep the zip files. I checked only fs-uae supports compressed adf in zip but it is not yet included in Lakka as it is a fairly new libretro core.

I’ve tried the straight up adf files and it still doesn’t work. I’ve tried every kick ROM I’ve found on amigaroms.net. Those seem to start up fine. But the game doesn’t load up. I’ve triple-checked my paths and everything. Anything else that could be going on? Or another source for kick ROMs that I could try?

Try to find kick.rom with md5sum e40a5dfb3d017ba8779faba30cbd1c8e.

Moreover, if you can provide a log it will be helpful.

How can I check for that? I’ve never done anything like that before. Or is there a way I can check and see if one of the ones I have meets that criteria?

Normally you can check after loading the core in the Main menu > Information > Core information but this core don’t have this information.

Please check this documentation.

I found a program (WinMD5) that let me check the kick roms that I’ve found so far and unfortunately none match the md5sum you gave. I’ll keep looking, but if I could be pointed to a verified kick rom that matches the md5sum you gave, that would be really helpful :).

I was just able to find a download link pretty quickly by googling the MD5 hash. No one on this forum will give a domain name or link for copyrighted material though.

Yea, I’d figured that, but I’d held out a small hope that perhaps these kick roms might not fall under the “you’re on your own with that” category LOL.

I’m still hunting around for the “perfect kick.rom” file. In the meantime, can someone tell me how to play the actual games. When I try to fire them up, I’m presented with a screen with a number of gray buttons on it. Is there a way to get past that so I can jump into the game itself?

You should have startrek.uae configuration file into /storage/roms/amiga

kickstart_rom_file=[B]/storage/system/kick.rom[/B]
chipmem_size=1
bogomem_size=2
use_gui=no
nr_floppies=[B]1[/B]
cpu_type=68000
cpu_speed=real
cpu_compatible=true
ntsc=false
chipset=ocs
immediate_blits=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_framerate=1
sound_output=normal
sound_frequency=44100
sound_channels=mixed
sound_interpol=none
show_leds=true
floppy_speed=100
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_color_mode=16
[B]joyport0=joy0[/B]
floppy0=[B]/storage/roms/amiga/startrekgame.adf[/B]

After putting the kick.rom to /storage/system, your amiga disk file into /storage/roms/amiga. I added joyport0=joy0 so that you can use the controller for the input.

If I change the path, then they won’t point to the correct location (aren’t paths case sensitive?). I did put my kick files into my system folder. Still isn’t working :(.

If I am still unable to get these config files to work, how can I play the games without them?

Yes it is case sensitive, that is why I put everything in lower case to avoid mistake.

Did you try with another kick.rom ?

By the way, it seems Star Trek 25th Anniversary has 8 disks so I am not sure you can make it work with only one disk.

I haven’t been able to find any other kick.rom files other than the ones at https://www.amigaroms.net/. I’ll try another game and see if I can get it to work. I’ve never used an Amiga before, so I don’t know how the system itself works.

Thank you for your help and patience :).

Trying another game didn’t work :(.