Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

@Bullfrog

By tonight I will have at least a rudimentary guide on how to use with my graphics in the README of my HSM graphics repo, the night folder, and the Overlay-Hybrid folder. Please keep in mind that much of the method is subject to change as the shader matures, and my method may not be the only way, just my way. :grin:

1 Like

PlayStation games will change resolution while you are playing the same game, it’s a weird system lmao.

2 Likes

:grin: :grin: :grin:

really? lol, :joy:

1 Like

At one point at bootup something Duimon found is that it probably outputs no signal, so retroarch outputs an image which is somehting 10px or 20px.

If you are ever wondering about the resolution coming from the core you can turn on first shader parameter which is the Debug info and it will show you all the resolutions on-screen

4 Likes

Yeah, start screens and menus are commonly a different resolution then actually gameplay. The bios screen also uses a different resolution from what I recall.

It’s odd lol.

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness

:grin:

4 Likes

The Top Layer Image generally goes on top of everything, but it has masking to control which area it appears, E.G. By default it is set to not appear on top of the tube.

About the N64 preset, some of the settings it has different than the others is that scalefx is turned on and the sampling has been adjusted to give smoother looking geometry and still have nice scanlines.

Nice, thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

Is it just me or the cropping options do nothing on this preset hsm-mega-bezel-crt-royale? I tested the same options hsm-mega-bezel-crt-guest-dr-venom and they work without as expected. Just loaded fresh the preset without making any modification on both cases to test if my old preset overrides have something that is messing with the cropping and they didn’t work on royale.

1 Like

Yup, that’s right, Royale is one where the sampling & cropping is not controlled by the Mega Bezel, this is because to implement this I need to wade into the underworld of Royale and the special sampling it uses, and this will take some extra effort.

Quick poll, how many of you who are using the Mega Bezel are using Royale?

@HyperspaceMadness I don’t use Royale as it looks awful and scanlines are uneven on my 1080p display.

1 Like

Finally got Beetle PSX HW working with HSM Shaders! And indeed, some option in the core config was the reason for the Shader not working right, making RA shut down.

Reseting the Core settings to default did the trick. Funny thing is - already set the settings to my preference and it is still working fine - couldn’t find exactly what was the cause, but at least it’s working good now! :grin:

Now there’s something that I would like to ask, don’t know exactly how to call this, but the “light reflection” that appears on the top left corner of the gameplay field and on the bottom right, when the background is dark/black, as seen above the left player on the screenshot - Is there anyway to tune it down a bit? I think it’s an awesome detail and really adds to the CRT feel, however it can get a bit distracting in games with lots of dark backgrounds…

So far I’m just using the hsm-mega-bezel-crt-guest-dr-venom-Night (and the N64 variation) and I’m loving it! :heart_eyes:

And talking about N64, I also tried the new paraLLEl N64 that people are saying is the new best option for low-level emulation/high-accuracy N64 emulation and they work amazing with the Night-N64 preset!

Screenshot with native resolution and x4+downsampling:

Hi @Duimon, don’t know if I’m looking at the right place or not, :sweat_smile:, but the readme of the repo you are saying is the following path, right?

github.com/ Duimon/HSM-Reflection-Shader-Graphics/blob/master/README.md

(I added a space on the url to don’t preview the content and clutter the post)

1 Like

Yup this is the [TUBE] Tube Glass Image Opacity parameter, just reduce it or set it to 0 to remove it completely.

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness

How do you like it? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:flushed: Seems like it’s just me who uses Royale… and that’s the only one I use, I really like the bloom effect on letters and the old crt feel you get on it. It kinds of remind me the old low quality CRT TV I used when I was a kid. :sweat_smile: Anyway if you someday feel like implementing the cropping in that shader, I would really appreciate it. :+1:

By the way, I really love your work, it’s amazing and I’m very impressed with the whole idea and quality of the result. The only missing feature that I would love was to be able to set a color for the frame bezel, so it could match the background images, I use it with different background images of different CRT TV, and some have silver tones, other gray in dark and light variants. The current frame color in like dark gray only.

3 Likes

I use Royale as well. It seems to match closest to the old monitors I used to have.

1 Like

@pnkiller78

I really should let HSM answer this but I can’t resist.

These settings in the shader parameters let you set the color of the bezel & frame. They are HSB/HSV so you can sample the needed color in an image using your image editor of choice and dial in the color perfectly within the shader.

There really are a lot of parameters in these shaders, they are the “Mega” in the “Mega Bezel Reflection Shader”.

@HyperspaceMadness The need for a comprehensive guide shows itself once again. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll try to get to this at some point, I’ll put it on the TODO list so I don’t forget it :slight_smile:

Thanks! Let me know if there’s any other feedback you have on it.

Sounds like @Duimon is already on that one!, Thanks Duimon :slight_smile: You also have Duimon to thank for this feature because he requested it!

1 Like

@Duimon

These settings in the shader parameters let you set the color of the bezel & frame.

:joy: I really missed that one…

They are HSB/HSV so you can sample the needed color in an image using your image editor of choice and dial in the color perfectly within the shader.

I don’t know how to do that, but start looking for a tutorial on how to do that, honestly the little I know about images and colors are the RGB values, and HTML representation of colors. And like HSM said, thanks for thinking on this one before. :ok_hand:

@HyperspaceMadness Honestly, this work make justice to its name “Mega”, it has a lot of features that I don’t even know how to use. The same day I saw it in the forums, I got exited and started to migrate my overlay setups to use this along with the images I used on the overlays. Most of the thing that I have done on my setup are the result of trial and error, and other times me trying to replicate some fancy screenshot posted by other users on the result they had obtained. Anyway, thanks man for your work, I really appreciate it, your contribution to retroarch using your skills and talent is priceless, I’m pretty aware that this kind of work requires time, dedication and effort. Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

Hi! I’m new to the forums and wanted to sign up just to tell you that I absolutely love these shaders! They’re beautiful.

I also wanted to note that for the new split screen feature, it does not work well with 3DS when put side-by-side, as the 3DS has a slightly different aspect ratio for the top and bottom screen - 400 x 240 for top, 320 x 240 pixels for bottom, so the size of the top screen bleeds into the other screen.

1 Like