Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness, @Duimon, @Brainbin74, @Nesguy and @guest.r.

I just overhauled my shader preset post with some updated screenshots (except for Arcade - Sharp) as well. Feel free to have a look at what I did with the toys you created. Thanks again!

4 Likes

Hey @Cyber, thanks for your updated presets, I just tried them and I think I might have a problem with the “Composite” variant (the other ones work fine) :

https://imgur.com/a/ncjWTds

I really like your presets!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback @Tromzy! I’m glad you like them.

That “Composite” preset is just something I whipped up to get the pseudo transparency effects working in Sega Genesis games mainly because @AnonymousAndy was asking about it in another thread. It sacrifices sharpness and many other desirable qualities to make sure that it eliminates the dithering under the scenarios I tested. I really didn’t think anyone would try to use them for anything else.

Although I did start my testing of it by eliminating the dither patterns of a SNES game, I think I might have to remove any reference to SNES in the description so as not to encourage users to use it for SNES games.

Also, my presets are designed and tested on a 4K screen so I doubt they’ll look the same on anything else. I’ll do some testing @ 1080p to see how they look. The last time I checked they weren’t as detailed as they are in 4K so you won’t really get the same effect.

I suggest you stick with either the “Composite - Sharp” or “Composite - Pure” presets for most home console use cases and only use the “Composite” preset for the specific purpose of turning the dither patterns into transparencies and extra colours at the expense of other aspects of image quality in Sega Genesis games.

I also recommend the “Arcade - Sharp” preset for, you guessed it, Arcade games!

This is what it looks like on my screen.

Not too shabby if you ask me! lol

I think the problem is that at 1440p there aren’t enough pixels to display the mask correctly. I’ll give you an alternative that doesn’t have the mask, hopefully it will look better at 1440p.

Thanks again for the feedback.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - No mask).slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Pure.slangp"
signalResolution = "160.000000"

As an alternative, you can use this preset which has a more appropriate mask size for 1440p:

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - 1440p).slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Pure.slangp"
signalResolution = "160.000000"
maskstr = "0.500000"
masksize = "2.000000"

There ya go! You can feel free to let me know how it looks. Also these presets are relatively new so you can spread the word so that more users may benefit.

4 Likes

I just added some alternative presets to my post so I should now have a fairly comprehensive set of shader presets for a slightly wider range of tastes and different resolution and system performance scenarios. This was due to some feedback I received yesterday and also in the past.

So the hard work should be almost done at least until or unless the next or some future update of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! breaks…err…changes something while fixing or improving something else.

Time to play some games!

5 Likes

Has anyone seen or worked on something like Analog Shader Pack version 3\Televisions\Vintage\The Zenith\RF.cgp? I use this for a handful of 70s platforms and have never seen an equivalent. I’d like to move on to slang completely one day.

2 Likes

If you try my Composite - Sharp preset and turn on Curvature, increase the halation way up and probably the deconvergence noise and lastly, try some of the other mask types it might probably start to look something like that. After that you can probably try to reduce the first 2 Signal Resolution settings under GTU settings. If I have time I might try it myself.

You can try these and tell me what you think:

Updated: 19/10/21

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (70s RF) Series

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (70s Bad RF)

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF.slangp

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__2__STD__GDV.slangp"
g_cntrst = "0.500000"
GDV_AFTERGLOW_THRESHOLD = "7.5"
// BP = "16"
glow = "-0.300000"
SIZEH = "7.000000"
SIGMA_H = "2.300000"
h_sharp = "3.000001"
maskstr = "0.4"
maskDark = "1.000000"
GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = "1.000000"
deconrr = "1.000000"
deconrb = "-1.000000"
deconrry = "1.000000"
deconrby = "-1.000000"
HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "100.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_RES = "216.000000"
MDAPT_MODE = "2.00000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "0.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "1600.000000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
SHARPEN_ON = "1.000000"
SHARPEN = "0.250000"
CONTR = "0.090000"
GTU_ON = "1.000000"
compositeConnection = "1.000000"
spike = "2.000000"
gamma_c = "1.640000"
deconsmooth = "1.000000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "0.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_ROLL = "0.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "0.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "0.000000"
g_hue_degrees = "4.000000"
signalResolutionI = "83.000000"
signalResolutionQ = "145.000000"
g_sat = "0.050000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_OPACITY = "0.000000"
halation = "1.000001"
shadowMask = "4.000000"
addnoised = "1.000000"

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (70s RF - Curved)

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF Curved.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF.slangp"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "0.000000"

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (70s RF)

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF.slangp

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__2__STD__GDV.slangp"
g_cntrst = "0.500000"
GDV_AFTERGLOW_THRESHOLD = "7.5"
// BP = "16"
glow = "-0.300000"
SIZEH = "7.000000"
SIGMA_H = "2.300000"
h_sharp = "3.000001"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "0.4"
maskDark = "1.000000"
GDV_DECONVERGENCE_ON = "1.000000"
deconrr = "1.000000"
deconrb = "-1.000000"
deconrry = "1.000000"
deconrby = "-1.000000"
HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "100.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_RES = "216.000000"
MDAPT_MODE = "2.00000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "-1.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "1600.000000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
SHARPEN_ON = "1.000000"
SHARPEN = "0.250000"
CONTR = "0.090000"
GTU_ON = "1.000000"
compositeConnection = "1.000000"
spike = "2.000000"
gamma_c = "1.640000"
deconsmooth = "1.000000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "0.000000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_OPACITY = "65.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "0.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "0.000000"
g_hue_degrees = "4.000000"
signalResolutionI = "83.000000"
signalResolutionQ = "145.000000"
g_sat = "0.050000"
HSM_FAKE_SCANLINE_ROLL = "14.000000"
halation = "2.000000"
addnoised = "1.000000"

Note: You’ll need to have both the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF Curved.slangp” preset and the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF.slangp” preset saved in the same “…\Retroarch\Shaders” folder for these presets to work.

4 Likes

These look pretty close to me! Thanks! I’ll try to report back with a more detailed comparison. I actually don’t like the curvature on the one I’m using and tried to disable it before to no avail too so that last one hits the spot.

3 Likes

Oh you don’t like the curvature? Okay, well since the base presets don’t have curvature you can just omit the line that says:

Updated: 19/10/21

…even in the first preset if you want to turn it off. Or you can just use this and you’ll have 2 Old TV shaders (without curvature) to play with and see which one you prefer:

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF Without Curvature.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF.slangp"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "-1.000000"

Thanks, I’m glad you like them!

What I’ve noticed is that display resolution has a huge influence on how these shaders look so I have a couple alternatives that might better suit lower resolution displays.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF - 1080p and 1440p.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF Without Curvature.slangp"
halation = "0.500000"
addnoised = "0.70000"

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF - 1080p and 1440p.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF.slangp"
halation = "1.700000"
addnoised = "0.700000"

Note: You’ll need to have the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF.slangp” preset, the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s Bad RF Without Curvature.slangp” preset and the “CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels 70s RF.slangp” preset saved in the same “…\Retroarch\Shaders” folder for these presets to work.

2 Likes

Is there a way to browse the shaders shared in the thread that isn’t scrolling the thread? It gets confusing very quickly. Maybe they could be better documented?

2 Likes

Well, technically this thread is about the Mega Bezel. Most of the information on the Mega Bezel can be found in the first post or two.

The thread really isn’t a resource for custom shaders so 99% will be useless to you if that is what you are looking for. (Although if you are interested in the evolution of the Mega Bezel it is a really good read. :grin:)

@Cyber has created some custom versions of shaders that are included in the Mega Bezel.

@HyperspaceMadness Maybe we should create another thread for these kind of customization’s and add a link to it up top?

3 Likes

I’m not arguing but are you sure that’s necessary? I felt like me directing users back to this thread when they see my presets might have actually promoted and expanded the userbase of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader since all of my presets require it. I have done a couple other custom presets recently (not for me) which don’t use it and guess what, you won’t find any reference to them here. Only the ones that use HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader!

I remember @HyperspaceMadness saying that he lets stuff soak a little to gauge interest before including new things in the package. How can you gauge interest if the thread is split just as the signs of interest are starting to manifest?

I also remember @HyperspaceMadness saying:

Guess what brought @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe here? They were looking for a way to use their old favourite Analog Shader Pack Shaders with new versions of RetroArch and all I was trying to do was offer an alternative in this inspired replication.

I hope you don’t find my posts about my presets to be detracting from the main topic as I was really trying to help and support HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader!. It could just be that there’s not much news regarding the main topic at the moment because the new version is currently being worked upon. What else can we chat about in the meantime?

If you still feel the need to split then go right ahead but I think it might be a bit premature.

2 Likes

My friend, I wasn’t suggesting that HSM split the thread, nor was it my intent to devalue your contribution. :innocent:

If you go back up in this thread to March of 2020 you’ll see that I posted all of my work here.

Eventually I created my own thread and started cross-linking to this when I had news.

My thought was only that @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe seemed to be mistaken about the content, and my intent was to offer a solution to his “documentation” comment. :grin:

4 Likes

I understand. Well @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe is probably new to this new simple preset format as well so it might be slightly daunting. I mean even I am new to these things so I’m taking things one step at a time. I doubt I’ll get huge enough to warrant a new thread anytime soon. I didn’t even expect to be making any other presets and derivatives other than the ones I originally posted but I guess things are evolving. It seemed like fun trying to match some of the screenshots using the little that I’ve learned even if roughly.

What I have been doing is trying to have my presets up to date and ready for whenever @HyperspaceMadness might be ready or so inclined to include them in the main package. I might have made a slight announcement here and there in the thread just to let anyone interested be aware that they can take a look back at the old post to see and get the latest.

I’m thinking that once it becomes a part of the package, there’ll be no need to refer users or anyone interested to the raw presets and instead users would only have to be directed to the main HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader package. That’s why I haven’t even bothered to make a neat, little shader package zip file available for download.

4 Likes

I suggest you take it one step at a time. You’ll need this first:

Read up and get that installed and working then you can try my shaders or any other compatible shaders you find in the thread or forums.

This is the post to my shader presets here:

4 Likes

Yup that’s great, happy to see the presets you’ve created, I’ll try to get them into the experimental folder soon :).

5 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate that! You take your time and let the next release bake sir! I’m certainly in no rush. I’m really having fun with this version and I would imagine that this upcoming version might take a lot due to the significant changes.

5 Likes

Just today, I read this. Now you’ve posted this:

Very interesting stuff indeed. I’ll play around with these settings a bit and see if I can get some further improvements. I did something like that with the core res parameters by trial and error earlier though. I increased the horizontal, while leaving the vertical intact to give the effect of higher resolution, less pixelated graphics but still preserving some of the old school low resolution look due to the it having the same number of scanlines and vertical pixels.

I was also curious as to the real purpose behind the rolling scanlines.

On another note…Does the RetroArch global Bilinear Filtering option in video settings have any effect when Mega Bezel is active? Also the CPU based filters?

I couldn’t tell a difference with Bilinear Filtering turned on or off or when I tried any of the Blargg NTSC Filters. I did see a drastic effect when I tried other filters though, like one of the green LCD Dot Matrix filters.

By the way HyperspaceMadness, @Brainbin74, @Duimon, @Nesguy, @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe, @Tromzy I just updated my preset post with some video clips which should provide a much better representation of how my presets look in real life. They are all native 4K video clips and must be downloaded first (i.e. not viewed in the browser preview) to get the optimal viewing experience. They’re short clips so I suggest you loop them as well.

4 Likes

Sadly, it seems it’s gonna be difficult to get this going on my macOS setup because the only driver available is “gl” which won’t support these. There’s some talk of bringing the Vulkan driver through Metal on Github, but no release has come out of it yet. However, I actually run RA through Parallels because of a separate issue, and I can use the D3D11 driver there. Running RetroArch 1.9.10, I load individual .slang shaders that come with RA just fine, but when I load any MegaBezels preset, nothing actually happens nor loads. And if I go to the HyperspaceMadness folder from RA, instead of all the .slang files I get “No Items”.

My file structure is:

RetroArch/shaders/HyperspaceMadness

RetroArch/shaders/shaders_slang/Mega_Bezel

I’ve tried with HyperspaceMadness inside Mega_Bezel too, but since the Mega Bezel .slang files show as “No files” regardless, I don’t think it’s the issue. I’d say it’s the RA version, but since it’s the latest one…

1 Like

What about Boot Camp?

1 Like

This is an incorrect installation. There isn’t supposed to be a HyperspaceMadness folder in the shaders folder nor a Mega Bezel folder in the shaders_slang folder.

The Bezel folder is supposed to be copied into the shaders_slang folder.

Also if your driver is set to gl you wouldn’t “see” any slang preset files from within RetroArch.

4 Likes