Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

If you use my presets, I have night presets for all the potatoes.

The night mode has to be done directly built into the image, outside of the shader.

“The night mode has to be done directly built into the image, outside of the shader.”,What does this sentence mean? There is an option to set HIGHLIGHT in the filter settings, but there is no light effect after adjustment.

1 Like

The Night Lighting isn’t available with POTATO. @Duimon is saying, essentially, that Night Lightning doesn’t work so to use it the effect must be preapplied to an image, than the image must be used instead.

1 Like

There are a few visible parameters in the Potato that do nothing. You would have to ask @HyperspaceMadness the specifics, but I assume there is some good reason the parameters are still there even though the feature has been removed. Most likely it has to do with making compiling all the presets easier.

AFAIK there is only the one image layer in the Potato, the background layer. All multi-layer image support has been stripped in all the passes. (There is no Tube Diffuse, Gel, or Static reflection layers in the CRT passes, even though the parameters are still there.)

3 Likes

A long time ago, I wrote a question here asking if it was possible to recreate the ‘flickering’ composite effect that I used to get with the analog shading pack (before the RA graphics update). As usual, I received generous, considered responses from OP and Duimon with suggestions on how I could recreate the effect with this shader pack. Nonetheless - despite hours of tinkering - I have not been able to reach the same ‘that’s it’ moment as I did with the old analog shader pack.

Gosh I have waffled on here, sorry!

But I guess my question is: Do any of you good folk look to recreate this effect, and have you had success in doing so? I notice any shader preview samples I see are usually images, whereas the composite flickering effect I look for only really comes across in video form. I may be more of a dinosaur than I thought lol!

Thanks all. Would love your perspectives on any and all of this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think the closest I’ve gotten is when I added the mame_ntsc shader into my chain, I get slight flicker while playing and that shader is the only shader I know of so far that gives you perfect rainbow banding for that Sonic waterfall effect. Try my shader pack out (load up the 8/16 bit shaders) and see if that helps, you can grab it here.

2 Likes

Greetings @midget35! I have some videos of my presets in action. I use subtle noise to mimic the interlacing/flickering/non-static nature of the CRT image while using a modern display.

I also made an Old-TV RF Interference preset that uses noise in a not so subtle way in order to simulate a snowy, noisy signal on an Old TV with an RF input.

Here are some videos of my recent presets in action.

I don’t have any videos of my Old TV preset in action but it might look similar to this old one I made a while ago:

You can get these and more in my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack here:

Back in the day I used to use a feature called “HSM Rolling Scanlines” to create a sort of humbar effect but I’ve “outgrown” those presets a long while ago.

I used to use Analog Shader Pack for years before the RetroArch update broke it and that was my inspiration for creating my own Shader Preset Pack.

I am eternally humbled by the replies I get from this community. Thank you, my friends! I shall put time aside this weekend to try these promising solutions. Thank you as always x

3 Likes

This is all absolutely incredible but I have a problem that I can’t find in a search of this thread. How do I get handheld stuff to scale correctly? Especially DS.

Also, where can I find Wii and Handheld overlays for this?

Whoops, forgot to attach an image. This is how DS is currently coming out.

1 Like

The DS and 3DS have there own presets, using the dual screen features of the shader. You must have the gap distance set to zero in the DS emulator, and you must use a vertical orientation. (Top, Bottom.)

The presets are in the “Variations” folder. (\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Variations)

There are…

Dual-Screen-3DS__ADV.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__ADV__DREZ-3DS-400x480.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__ADV__LCD-GRID.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__POTATO__GDV.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__STD.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__STD__DREZ-3DS-400x480.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__STD__LCD-GRID.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__STD-NO-REFLECT.slangp
Dual-Screen-3DS__STD-NO-REFLECT__LCD-GRID.slangp
Dual-Screen-DS__POTATO__GDV.slangp
Dual-Screen-DS__STD.slangp
Dual-Screen-DS__STD__LCD-GRID.slangp
Dual-Screen-DS__STD-NO-REFLECT.slangp
Dual-Screen-DS__STD-NO-REFLECT__LCD-GRID.slangp

The shader then lets you do a lot of tweaking to the size and placement of the two screens.

For example…

Here is the default Dual-Screen-DS__STD__LCD-GRID.slangp.

3 Likes

That’s amazing! How do I move the screens?

1 Like

That takes practice. All the needed parameters are in the [DUAL SCREEN] section of the parameters list.

4 Likes

And the first screen’s position is set nearer the beginning of the parameter list with a screen X & Y position.

3 Likes

Doh! Forgot that part. :innocent:

2 Likes

This is all very helpful guys but I cannot for the life of me find the setting to just make one of the screens bigger or smaller. I can move them, split them further apart, but make them bigger? No idea. Which parameter is that?

1 Like

As @HyperspaceMadness mentioned, the scale for the first screen is set near the beginning of the list.

If the first parameter (Integer Scale Mode) is set to off (0.00) you would use “Non-Integer Scale %” to scale the screen.

If it is on (1.00 or 2.00) you would use “Integer Scale Multiple Offset”, but you have less freedom.

This will scale both screens unless you choose independent scale in the Dual Screen section.

As I said. It takes practice. Honestly, the dual screen stuff works really well, but is probably the toughest to get familiar with.

In the end it can be used for pretty creative things. Here I take this…

…and chop the screen up, then use a pile of other shader features to get this.

5 Likes

I thought I would ask what is the best way to determine the Reflection Global Amount to Bezel Width and Height.

1 Like

The reflection global amount has nothing to do with bezel height and width. I’m not sure I understand your question.

1 Like

Nevermind. I was thinking of how much the reflection extends out from the screen.

1 Like