Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

2 Likes

is there a solution to why atari 2600 shows in vert mode? stella core

1 Like

Well, I think that the automatic aspect recognition does’nt always work correctly. The standard value for ASPECT RATIO MODE is set to “AUTO”, which will fail in some cases.

I’ve got the same problem with MAME and horizontal games. Just set aspect ratio mode to “1” and it will most likely work :slightly_smiling_face: (for me at least it does)

This is correct, the reason it is this way for ATARI is because the vertical resolution is much higher than you would normally expect it to be for something that was played on a horizontal monitor.

@frenki, do you have an example on a MAME horizontal game which exhibits this problem? I don’t think I’ve run into it there before.

“Moon Patrol” for example, it defaults to vertical.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Is there a way to make the shader ignore the given resolution and display scanlines as a fixed one, say 320 x 240?

I have a problem with Mupen64plus-next, i use 640x480 resolution because 320 x 240 is far too blocky but the shader makes it look like high-res because it takes that 640 x 480 into account. I used CRT-Geom before and that shader doesn’t care what resolution you have, it always diplays the scanlines like a low-res 320 x 240 but the games don’t look blocky because “natively” they are 640 x 480.

How can i achieve the same effect with the reflection shader?

2 Likes

Possibly the Resolution Independent Scanlines would achieve this, This would need to be worked into the shader chain, probably in the prep after the CRT image is generated

1 Like

If you can spare a setting space, you could just use scanline resolution multiplier from my repo. It’d only work for guest-dr-venom though so you may be better off with what you were planning.

The Mega Bezel is updates to V2020-05-16-0

Changes:

• Top Image Opacity Mask and and Blend modes added so textures can be placed on top of the screen, or outside of the screen, or on the frame. Thanks to @Duimon for his input and testing on this feature
  • New Screen Vignette, using the one @syh recommended.
  • Phosphor Persistence from Mame_hlsl which seems to be working well
  • Lut Colors added to all presets, you can now turn on lut colors, it is using the Other1 LUT from torrid gristle. This works on all but Royale because royale doesn’t have any texture slots left to use. Overall this seems to give better blues
  • Color Controls added , Luminance, Gamma, Saturation, Temperature from Guest-Venom to all presets
  • Gamma at the end to control final brightness of everything including Frame & Background, basically something that you might tweak between different monitors, or day vs night
  • Glass Presets for Easymode & Royale
  • MDapt parameter now chooses between none, strict, relaxed and stripes to have a more permissive treatment.
  • GTU Switch is now in one parameter, Off, On, Composite
  • Debug printing is now larger at larger core res.
  • Debug now shows the version and the non-integer scale. This can be useful, so you can turn on integer scale, then check the debug to see what the non-integer scale percentage is for this size on the monitor
  • Royale version currently has an issue with where the vignette is not working, I’ll figure out what this. Royale is touchy I think because it has so many full res passes, and I’m running into wacky buffer corruption bits
  • Some parameter names updated, notably the screen corner & the overlay image is now top image
  • You will need to update your presets

Debug Info

Phosphor Persistence

Top Image in Add Mode

Screen Vignette

Regular Colors

LUT Colors

New Color Controls

10 Likes

Just curious which vignette? As I sorta recommended two, one was the fancy one @frenki was messing with (which is modified from mame-hlsl, then there’s the one I’m using in my repo (which is entirely different, it’s the one I posted for @Dogway that he then modified for grade), lol.

I enjoy mame’s phosphor shader alot as you may know. (It’s in my repo, lol)

3 Likes

It’s the one from shadertoy

2 Likes

That Phosphor Persistence looks awesome! This looks like a really hard won update. Thank you and Congratulations!

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness

Which pass is the vignette in? I’d like to compare how your implementing it, as me and Dogway are applying it differently from each other.

Also could you point me to the mame phosphor persistence as well? (There’s so much code to wade through, lol.)

Edit: Found both but now I’m trying figure out where it actually applies the phosphor persistence.

1 Like

Amazing update! I love the LUT colors.

3 Likes

It’s in the first pass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Syh [quote=“Syh, post:858, topic:25512”] use scanline resolution multiplier from my repo [/quote]

Does this work in slang shaders and is there a link to it? I can’t find it.

1 Like

Phosphor persistence looks great… on a real CRT. Crappy modern LCD/LED panels have their own, unavoidable, motion blur because they are crappy modern panels. Not sure if i would want these kind of effects on top of that :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello all!

Nintendo Super Famicom!

3 Likes