Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

That is what the negative cropping does.

Check out the example above with Arkanoid, the top and sides have a negative crop which pushes the image in towards the center and leaves an empty space.

One note about the cropping, in guest-venom when you crop the bottom there’s a acaling/sampling problem across the screen vertically. The other directions are fine, as are the other crt shaders. I’ve tried to figure out what the issue is, but haven’t found it yet.

1 Like

It could be a few different shader passes causing it if it’s related to sampling, could be the avglum pass, linearize, or the linearize scanline pass (don’t really know, but if it’s a sampling issue these would be a good place to start.)

1 Like

Yeah it’s actually inside the crt shader, because this is where I am doing the crop adjustment to the sampling, it’s the way it’s trying to split out the scanlines which is wrong, so it ends up sampling a line not at all, or the same pixel shows up twice. Basically there’s no problem until I do my cropping magic.

1 Like

Hello. Any ideas on why the image could be flipped in the Mupen core? If I change to angrylion the issue is gone, but the glide version of Mupen Next has the backdrop flipped:

1 Like

In looking at your image, retroarch has flipped the entire frame buffer vertically, you can tell because the bottom of the bezel which is supposed to be brighter is appearing at the top of the screen.

I’ve seen retroarch do something similar to this with the core rotation option, where the bottom of the screen ends up on the side of the screen. So this actually isn’t something that I can fix, other than putting extra parameters in to flip the image.

I don’t mean cropping. Cropping will cover the image. When i say borders i mean add black borders by resizing the play field.

I mean from this:

To this:

There is no cropping, i still see all the graphics, they aren’t covered. The play field is just squished so the borders can fit. BTW, this is how Master Systems games supposed to look but i can’t find a way to do it with this shader. What you are looking at is a quick photoshop edit.

1 Like

Ok I understand, thanks for the image, it makes it very clear what you are trying to achieve.

The negative cropping will achieve this. To achieve what you have in your image you would set Crop Top and Crop Bottom to negative numbers.

2 Likes

Previous versions had it but didn’t have the right things to respond if you have a negative black level.

1 Like

Never mind i found it.

But i get some artifacts:

I’ll try the latest version when i get more time

1 Like

OK i can fix the issue by increasing the size of the black line thing around the play area:

Hope this info is useful. Ignore the colors of the logo, it flashes.

1 Like

Yeah, this is fixed in the latest version

1 Like

One thing i noticed, if i crop from the top, the graphics look fine as they get resized evenly. But if i crop from the bottom the graphics don’t scale evenly and you get things like text looking shorter or longer depending on their position.

Yes, this is the issue I mentioned before,

2 Likes

Hello! Your work is stunning, I have downloaded the pack of shaders but I cannot find the way for the bezels to appear (or as retroarch calls it, overlay).

Since there is no overlay, i cannot see the reflections on them… I don’t know what could be happening.

The flipped framebuffer with GL cores is to be expected. GL puts its origin at the cartesian equivalent of (0.0, 1.0), which makes a bunch of stuff weird, so Retroarch flips it to (0.0, 0.0) (which makes a few other things–like shader LUTs–weird).

2 Likes

Ah ok good to know one mystery solved!

So if it is run in Vulcan would it be different? Or is it something that the core does and is independent of the final video driver?

That’s a good question. I think Vulkan/d3d10-11-12 are all normal. Not sure about that, though.

Nope. PPSSPP is also flipped in Vulkan. I just accommodate by flipping my graphic in Photoshop. Would get tricky if you used any ‘y’ offset though.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Mupen Next Glide will not use Vulkan, it defaults to glcore. Thank you for checking! I will flip the image as this is the only core I cannot use with Vulkan.

@Raikkoh

Are you sure the shader is actually loading? The bezel and background are generated by the shader. I had to start with a clean install of Retroarch to get the shader working the first time.