I made a 4K GBA overlay for retroarch

Hopefully last batch - here is my personal set, upon which I overlay button mappings. I think for the most part these are retroarch defaults. Here’s the zip.

5 Likes

4 Likes

These are all brilliant, really great work

Would you mind if I used them as a base for overlays on my Twitch stream when I’m playing retro games? Will attribute them as your work of course!

1 Like

absolutely - no need to attribute.

Here’s a plain TV that might be easier to work with?

Happy to build something custom if you like - I’m finding it soothing to work on this stuff, like people tell me knitting is :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I really like your overlays, great work mezzb and thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

I never actually use overlays myself when playing games as I usually find them too distracting, but with the clean and flat shaded artstyle of your overlay it works much better in my eyes, so I’m definitely going to use them in the future.

2 Likes

that’s kind of my thinking - that’s why I also make them fairly dark so the games pop in compared to the overlay. I originally started making overlays because in my two setups (a 43" arcade cabinet and a 77" TV) the low-res games just looked like a blocky mess when maximized so I wanted smaller screens, which created a lot of dead space.

1 Like

minor updates to the original overlays (for handheld and arcade).

Added busier arcade overlays - it just looked weird with one arcade machine there. so i gave it a couple of buddies.

I think my next move is to have mild “pizza place” theming, cuz i dunno about yall fellow geezers, but that’s where most of my earliest coin-op memories came from.

2 Likes

The arcade horizontal with the Mega Bezel.

5 Likes

such a cool effect - i’m happy to create some mega-versions if I maybe you could point me in the right direction?

2 Likes

updated li’l tv: here

3 Likes

added this one (just so i had one that was 100% me - that amazing wallpaper was doing a lot of lifting on the other:

2 Likes

tweaked the arcade overlays. files here.

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, but why would you show the content smaller than your actual screen? Do you have such a huge screen to “waste” 2/3 of it?

Just trying to understand why this is a thing?

I made these because I have two retro systems - one is an arcade cabinet with a 43" screen. The other is an 80" OLED. I find that most older games look very rough when taking up that large a field of view. They were intended for either 19" arcade monitors or maybe a 27" TV sitting across a room.

1 Like

is there any chance you could do an overlay for 1600x900 please ? Looks fantastic. Really like your work in here, and thank you for it.

My best recommendation is to download the existing ones, then resize the ones you want to use in a tool such as:

2 Likes

That is a valid question for CRT systems, but have you ever seen a pixelated Game Boy screen on an 88" TV?

4 Likes

Thank you, you have made a amazing work! These bezel look so beautiful!

1 Like

This actually looks sick

1 Like