Is there a tutorial on how to run PUAE at all?

Have you tried the all the configuration available and particulary the A1200 configuration (in core options, need restart) ?

Do you have the RetroArch logs ?

I can’t go to any core options because it won’t load any rom, it just quits.

Don’t have a log either, i kinda gave up on this and stuck with the standalone.

Ok, I found some hdf´s in a romset for Retroarch, that show the same error if loaded the .hdf directly ("Unknow command Path "). But I got them working using a .uae config file with this content:

gfx_width=640
gfx_height=512
kickstart_rom_file=<system_path>/kick31.rom
hardfile=readwrite,32,1,2,512,<system_path>/WHDLoad.hdf
hardfile=readwrite,32,1,2,512,<path_to_game>/<game>.hdf

Replace <system_path> in the kickstart_rom_file line with the full path of your bios folder or where your kickstart roms are, im using kick31.rom (md5: e40a5dfb3d017ba8779faba30cbd1c8), but can use any other if the game requires it.

In the next line replace <path_to_game> with full path to your WHDLoad.hdf, make sure it includes the kickstart files.

Last line is the full path to your game hdf.

Now load the .uae file, and if everything is correct it should load the game in a few seconds (some games take more time to load).

Also for those having trouble loading hdf files, maybe you can try using IPF files, they are a bit easier to load (but still needs to download a library that should be in the system folder in order to work).

For more info about .uae and .ipf files you can read the Readme in GitHub https://github.com/libretro/libretro-uae

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to test and reply, though I still think this core has a long way to go to be user friendly, I’ll stick with WinUAE for the time being, I remember a few years ago WinUAE was the emulator that I got stuck with for some time but at least it doesn’t require per game config after you figure out how it works. I’m sure it will be much better playing Amiga games in Retroarch, it just needs a little more time.

Could you launch RetroArch from command line with the following statement ?

.\retroarch.exe --verbose

Could you paste the output here?

Have you tried with any adf file?

Edit:

OK i figured out what i was doing wrong. The kick file i used had a .rom as the extension. So it was “kick34005.A500.rom”. It had to be just “kick34005.A500”. I thought the “.500” was a part of the filename.

Anyway. ADF disks load. My WHDload files don’t. Which was expected since you have to do a lot of stuff to make each WHLoad game work individually for the core (according to the tutorial). Since i have more than 2.500 WHLoad files, this is not an option. Standalone loads them just fine without any edits so i’ll stick to that.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread but not fully up to speed on the issues.

I did some testing the other day on the 64bit android core with hdf files.

Most of the hdf’s launch directly without uae files so long as I added the (AGA) tag to the hdf filename. Some gave errors. After speaking with an Amiga centric mate it seems the Retroplay whdload files created as hdf files (through normal amiga methods) were the most compatible. Other non-retroplay created hdf files caused most of the errors.

I have not testes whdload directly.

If anyone wants more info tag me.

Did anything happen in the last few weeks because puae doesn’t seem to be loading games now. And just starting the core doest seem to load the kick-starts at all.

Edit: I tried running the core and just starting with the 1200 and A500 kickstart (all the required kicks are in the system folder along with with a whdload file which was working a month ago in android) I believe this is the relevant error: https://pastebin.com/Tghb54Zr Trying with A500: https://pastebin.com/J2UXGQUY

I did try with some previously made uae files from before the core was able to load the hdf files with whdload and those appear to be working.

I would get the logs from android but they dont seem to actually show an error but exibit the same issue, including solid color (green or blue depending on kick trying to be loaded)

hi volks are whdload games working with latest PUAE ?

Yeah, nothing wrong here. What is your problem?

1 Like

hi, i can not start my whdload images (zipped) but floppies work like harm. i have tried with the load conted feature but its only showing the kickstart-boot-screen after i start a whdload game. my first questions are wich system-preset (A500/A600/A1200) should i use ? and is there a need for a so called “whdload.hdf” to get it work? otherwise the Core work pretty damn well for me and it has make very good progress. Same for the VICE Core. Both commodore cores are now very comfortable and really nice to use.

Yes, you need a well-formed whdload.hdf. And you must set the model to A1200, even for A500 games. I’m not sure if zipped .hdf files work, though. Read all this thread and you’ll find other valuable informations.

HI all ! I wanted to explain to you here all that I had to do to be able to launch games in HDF format on PUAE.

First thing - Have a game in HDF format

Second - have the “bios”, with the right names (kick34005.A500, kick40063.A600, kick40068.A1200), good CRC and in the right place (I put everything in a BIOS folder) Info : if your bios have an extension like “.rom”, delete the extension :wink:

Third - Add, in the same place as the BIOS, the file “whdload.hdf” (google it) <== be careful this file needs to be modified to include the bios, follow this guide : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=IwgV-YkXhM4 Info : the files you add must have the same name as your bios, so be careful;)

Fourth : launch retroarch, load the PUAE core, launch the emulator without a game yet! Go in the options of the emulator then in the option “Model” choose the version amiga 1200 with the most ram!

Now leave the emulator and load your game in HDF format, everything will have to roll normally;)

Enjoy !

Info : quick save dont works for me ! Crash the emu all the time :frowning:

Mini

Hello,

i have a Nvidia Shield with Retro Arch and want to load WHDLoad games. I have put all roms and whdload.hdf (modified) in systems, all is working fine.

But i have some problems: Some games are working to “fast”, in german forums they told me to deaktivate “Jit” or something like that. But i cant do it, all tutorials are for WinUAE.

Second problem is, i have a double mouse cursor. Its in games like Defender of the Crown or Adventures. The cursor from ingame is there, but the cursor from the Nvidia shield to :wink:

Can anyone explain the first problem, how can i make the games run slower?

What i have tested: Run a workbench in WINUAE, edited the whdload.prefs file with the following lines:

ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration cpu_speed real cachesize 0 ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cpu_speed max cachesize 8192

But i think its for WINUAE, i need it for RetroArch PUAE Core.

Regarding the speed, you can try setting the core options to CPU Speed=Normal and Cpu vs. chipset timing ratio=Approximate real timing.

For the mouse problem, you need to assign a hotkey to the Game Focus Toggle (in Settings/Input/HotKey Binds). That’s advisable for all computer emulations cores, like Hatari, DosBox, C64 etc.

Anyway, which games are running too fast for you?

This didnt work. When i put the bindings like you, my mouse cursor is twice. The ingame cursor and the android shield cursor. It didnt go away.

The speed is the same, Defender of the Crown is a little bit too fast.

Hi, everyone! I’m relatively new to the Amiga emulation, and tried to launch Battletoads through RetroArch. I was faced with a grey screen and nothing happened. Game files is IPF format, I have the correct kickstars in correct folder (system) and capsimg.dll for my OS. I have also tried to lauch Mortal Kombat, and the result was the same. Any advice?

Grab your games in HDF format. (hint, they’re on archive.org). Then set your system to a1200 in the core options and your games will load almost instantly.

Have you tried to get the dll needed to run ipf files? it’s mentioned in the README file of the documentation

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that

UPD: Tried to load up the game - “Failed to load content”. Tried to load up the core - grey screen. Tried to load switch to a1200 and then load up the game - “Failed to load content”…

Oooof, it’s so frustrating.