Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

Nope, koko-aio is built from the ground; there is a discussion about NTSC look some posts ago.

@kokoko3k I think the problem is in translucency if that makes more sense, or in how LEDs behave in the Dev build vs stable. I don’t know, but there’s definitely a contradiction between them. And the stable version doesn’t let the LEDs/Ambient light bleed and shine from behind my translucent speakers.

So here’s everything I used packaged together, and if you can figure it out, please feel free to use my designs in any future versions as you see fits. Just mind that @exodus123456 is the one who made the base overlay and I modified it for koko-aio.

Here’s the zip file:

1 Like

Thank you!
Do you also have a repo?
I could link it from my github one.

1 Like

No problem, maybe I’ll make a repo some other time. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you @sonkun have taken a look within these presets but tv-NTSC 1 is by all means a fantastic job by this guy. The rainbow banding he enabled here is the literal perfect way for Genesis games. I would say it’s even better to mame_hlsl. It’s simply awesome to have this way even more controllable now than the other shader.

Thank you so much for making this ever possible. Even beyond that, the vast amount of presets available to have so much fun with.

What surprises me the most is that you say this preset was done from scratch. I wish I would have known earlier of this project. Let’s keep on with this buddy. Really awesome work here.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I’ve already been having fun with his shaders you’re late to the party lol, my favorite is the “tv-slotmask” or the bloom variation, really cool shader plus the ntsc one. I’m a fan of his work along with ProfessorBraun’s, also can’t forget this fun shader here that everyone seems to have forgotten about, that shader is fun to use on any game especially if there’s lots of flashy things going on the screen.

3 Likes

Hey @kokoko3k I updated the dark overlay variant to show more LEDs light, it was quite dim but now looks better:

I was thinking maybe you can take this idea another step ahead by making new LEDs adjustments.

Anyways here’s the download link:

1 Like

Thank you for your work, but what do you mean by “new LEDs adjustments”?

Maybe a new setting or what?

1 Like

Yeah maybe a new setting or pattern, since we won’t be using them for ambient lighting only. But it’s good enough as it is tbh.

Your shaders are awesome and don’t consume a lot of resources. I saw them by chance diving through the Retroarch page, and since that day they are my favorites and the ones I use for everything. The one I use for 16 bits, playstation, dreamcast etc is the FXAA Bloom, removing the bezel and leaving the Led power at 1. For 8 bits, ataris etc etc I use the monitor-bloom, and it looks fantastic. Keep it up, from now on you have one more fan following your work. Best regards

4 Likes

Just made a new repo with your presets.
Everybody welcome!

3 Likes

Awesome! Did they work as intended in the stable 3.5 release? Because they didn’t work for me when I was testing back then, they only worked in dev build.

And it would be better to include 1080p screenshots by you instead of my 768p, with the update RGBLEDs Dark variant not the one I included in first zip and screenshot.

Anyways keep up the good work, I’m loving your shader, here’s how I use it in portrait mode (FBNeo core is a pain in the ass when setting this up but mame is easy):

Overlay source:

2 Likes

You were right about 3.5 vs dev build, there has been some change I did without keeping track of it.
Nice setup!

-edit-

Credited the original authors.

2 Likes

@Starman99x @ynnad4

There you have it, I just broke it :smile:

…RF noise is available through the latest snapshot

6 Likes

Nice! This will look beautiful with the Exodus OLD CRT overlay:

Btw, I tried to replicate the LUT colors from guest-advanced through color temperature in koko-aio but it didn’t give the ntsc lut color I was hoping for, and it turned out that LUT colors are a sort of .png files, a bunch of shaders use them, try typing/searching for LUT in RetroArch/shaders and you’ll know what I mean. Maybe it won’t be difficult to include them idk.

Here’s how guest describes them in his readme file:

LUT Colors

The shader has two ways to simulating “CRT Colors”. LUT colors and CRT Color Profiles. LUT colors use lookup tables to transform the sRGB color profile to something more close to CRT colors. These LUTs come from varying sources, and the accuracy regarding CRT color simulation is a bit of an unknown, but at the least they provide some nice alternative color schemes which you may like.

1 Like

really appreciate it bud, awesome work around!

2 Likes

Static Parameters = extra speed

For those of you who don’t mind tinkering with text files and are in the need of some fps boost,
there is a new file in the shader tree, it is called config/config-user.txt

I’m not joking when I say that a complete edit of that file gave me a boost of 45%; I’ve seen my fps going from 110 to 160.

That file can contain every parameter supported by the shader.
Normally you would edit that parameters within Retroarch itself and see how the shader reacts to them, but by editing that file, instead, you will make those parameters static,and this is what will give you extra performances.

The downside of using this method is that every setting
you will write here, will be static and so that 
you will NOT BE ABLE RO MODIFY it "on-the-fly" in Retroarch anymore.
//
Lines have this format: #define PARAMETER VALUE
where:
    * PARAMETER is the shader parameter as defined in config.inc
      (look for lines starting with #pragma there).
    * VALUE is the value you want to assign to that parameter.
      (it is the same you would assign to that within retroarch)

Notice, there is no equal sign, nor double quotes, so, eg:
    If you know that you will always use the bezel frame:
    #define DO_BEZEL 1.0

If you know you'll never alter the contrast:
    #define CONTRAST 0.0

If you know your curvature will never change:
    #define GEOM_WARP_X

You can disable a line by erasing it or,
  since everything after "//" is ignored,
  by prepending "//", eg:

// #define DO_BEZEL 1.0

...that's it, you just need to copy the values from the
  preset you like to the right setting here.
5 Likes

Just to understand this: The performance boost is derived from static parameters alone, relative to identical non-static settings?

1 Like

Yeah, the very same parameters, turned static.

2 Likes

This is crazy - and of course worth a try if you (like me) want to provide game-specific artwork - so why not also freeze the settings for performance?

2 Likes