Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

Yep, i think it is a valid use case, indeed.

-edit- Here you go:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is the same issue, or if this is helpful to you, but to eliminate that white border around my bezels, etc in the shader, as an alternative, I select the interior area in photoshop and expand by 1 or 2 pixels (to cover what would be the white border line) and then run the blur tool, on low strength, over it, and that eliminates the white border in Retroarch.

I hope this is helpful, but if it is not relevant, please disregard. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Drybonz Thank you, this seems helpful. You should also try the Defringe feature in Photoshop/Layer/Matting/Defringe since it does all the work automatically.

1 Like

And here we go, I adapted some good old @exodus123456 's TV overlays into koko-aio shader presets:

monitor_bloom_night preset

NTSC1_Day preset

tv-slotmask-bloom_NIGHT

DOWNLOAD

As usual, unpack to: shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/koko-aio and go.

@kokoko3k I tried to take permission from exodus to include his works in the community presets repo, but I got no response, and there’s no “license” that I could find anyway, so I think it’s safe to upload this to the repo in a folder with Exodus’s name (I included source and credits already).

3 Likes

it is the other way around, unfortunately.

No license means no permission. :upside_down_face:

I checked his old forum post where he first posted these overlays but it seems that he disappeared, people used to modify his works with different ideas and he didn’t mind.

No license could simply mean no complications, since in the end, we’re preserving and improving his work, not stealing or claiming anything.

Really cool overlays he made back then, they still hold up, but not in the Overlay format, that stuff is obsolete imo.

1 Like

He seems to have seen the picture here https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-old-tube-television-crt-tv-17531603.html, then it “found” it for free here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/25/television-news-turnoff-bbc-sky#img-2 (the guardian credited the picture). Honestly, i don’t know what is the right thing to do, that pic costs 25$, but still it would be a waste of your time to reject it.

So an evasive solution is all I’ve now, Why don’t you open a github repo so that i can link it from mine? sorry…

1 Like

Oh yeah… I found his overlays years ago and I still use a modified version of one of the Sony ones for my console shader borders… now with the benefits of megabezel.

2 Likes

After some research, I found that the tv from Exodus’s overlay is a 1974 15" Sony KV1511.

3 Likes

That sounds cool, here’s the new repo, but please remove Starman99x folder from your repo, so I can maintain it more easily in mine.

And for convenience’s sake, I’m going to use a new destination folder for my packs located at: “RetroArch/shaders/koko-aio_packs” just like the folks at Mega Bezel.

3 Likes

Hi @kokoko3k, just asking out of interest whether it would be hard to implemet the CRT-GEOM-Tilt options (horizontally and vertically) and what impact on performance it would have? Orions Angel used it some time for old school bezels. While it looks quite cool (see 1943 enclosed - plain CRT-GEOM Slang Shader), the work that such artwork change would entail is worrying me. So no real rush here, just asking… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@estefan3112 I think about 3% on my haswell igp, used or not.

Also, that feature would be not compatible with bezel/reflections if not in a bit weird way (they would appear as flat).

1 Like

Hello @kokoko3k. The new options that you have implemented (although I think it is not the final version) can be used for the same thing that I wanted to achieve by modifying “image zoom” and “fram zoom”? If so, how? With these two parameters horizontally it is practically as I wanted (it would need a bit of adjustment in the reflection, and I changed the curvature downwards a bit to make it fit better… in addition to removing a bit of brightness), but when I put a vertical game is not framed the same and leaves space on the sides (although up and down is fine); I don’t know if these new tools make it easier. Sorry for my ignorance.

Hi there!
I’m not sure to understand what you are for.
Presets whose name ends in bezelwider dont shrink the image vertically, and this is true for horizontal and vertical games (maybe 4…5 pixels).
And they worked that way since months, so those 2 options should be enough for you needs.

Be sure to use mame2003plus as core.

Rotated:

Straight:

I didn’t explain myself well, haha. My idea was that the frame with the reflection would fit into the bezels of “the bezel project”, but now that I have looked at the photos (and that I have tried the shader by disabling the bezel), I think I was wrong, so I started modifying the zoom from the “bezel” type (enlarging) and it seems to me that I should have started from the “bezelwider” (smaller)… or simply have the shader without reflections (which is already very good like that). Why do you say it has to be the mame2003plus core? I have tried it in games with the fbneo core and I don’t see anything strange… I don’t notice something?

ook!

Yes, fbneo is ok too.

I spoke about cores, because auto rotation handling does not work with some (eg: standard mame)

And here are some new experimental presets that combine koko-aio with gdapt and snes-hires-blend to reproduce the pseudo transparency effect of the original consoles, this is ideal for those who want the effect but prefer a sharper image, since your only other option is a TV signal preset/filter which by default produces a blurry image:

gdapt ON

gdapt OFF

snes-hires-blend ON

snes-hires-blend OFF

I converted snes-hires-blend.slang to slangp as a bonus if anyone wants to prepend it to another shader easily.

You can download everything from my repo, included are some new TV presets for my CRT RGB pack:

3 Likes

koko-aio already provides logic to selectively blur ntsc artifacts, this is an extreme setup, so you see fringing near borders:

1 Like

I tried it but couldn’t achieve what gdapt does while retaining a sharp overall image.

I tried, but the shader code is starving, instead of the expected 2,3 fps it looses 40fps when not using static values. Absolutely not justified, I’ll inspect further.

@estefan3112

1 Like