Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

Look amazing. Here’s mine with a few tweaks using pgrid3-Corelevel_HMask-CoreLevel_Slotmask.slang for my OLED with my system outputting 1080p - looks amazing!

1 Like

Screen plz! I’ve an lg c1 oled tv not connected to pc, but I’d like to see how color looks there via the builtin browser.

Since i tune my presets to 72% NTSC gamut, they look oversaturated there.

2 Likes

They look a tad blurry in the screenshots, as I guess it does not reflect any settings on the OLED (sharpness etc etc), but, onscreen, they look very very good (to my eyes).

I also run my OLED in PC mode to get true 4:4:4.

Thanks, I’ll take them as a valuable reference!

1 Like

I decided to finally hook my oled tv to the pc and drafted a preset, it seems to look good starting from 1440p, my notebook can’t handle higher at 60fps, the scanline look could be improved at higher resolutions.

How does this look to you? Granted, you’ve to set a brighter TV mode (named VIVID on my device), but on oleds this is not an issue by design, I’m kinda satisfied :slight_smile:… well, I apologize for the shameless lack of modesty, but I’m astonished on how it looks closer to the cab in the other room, I honestly didn’t expected that.

pgrid-naked-slotmask-for-1440p-OLED.slangp

I tried on a non oled display, and it is a non-go; as you push the backlight, the black becomes dark gray and ruins the experience, for this preset, black needs to be BLACK and there is need to push oled pixels.

This preset does just mask and gamma linearization; the rest of the work is done by the oled itself.

4 Likes

Hello Kokoko3k, thank you very much for thinking of me and for making these changes to satisfy the needs of those who, like me at the moment, play on small screens. Thank you for your precious work because it is exceptional, your edits are perfect and I love the final result. All oiled to perfection. Here are a couple of screenshots, the first showing how the preset is, the second showing FXAA being turned on. I love both situations with this type of mask and these settings, so thanks to you I now use a “vintage” and a “modern” preset with great satisfaction.

2 Likes

I would also like to use visual style on my Mini PC with a 24-inch screen and 1080p resolution - would you recommend the same preset that I use on a smartphone that you created, or other “pgrid” preset? I wish I had the same visual result there too because it’s too beautiful. Thanks again. They should make you a gold statue.

The OLED present fails to load…others seems to load fine.

TBH, I’m more than happy with what I’ve dialed in, to the point that I can’t see how it can be improved (to my eyes)…which means…OMG!, I actually have to play some games now rather than pixel peeping!

Thank you again for the work on this.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Btw, I’ve just removed some absolute references from the last preset, and i would like to know how does it look on a different oled with pushed brightness.

@ROBMARK85 I wouldn’t recommend any pgrid preset because i’m still experimenting, but if you find one that likes you, why not.

1 Like

Top one your OLED present, bottom one my tweaked present for my OLED (PC = 1080p out)

2 Likes

What’s your final verdict on the first preset on your oled display?

Too dark, too course (mask gap size I assume), and produces moire screen artifacts. Again, I’m running retroarch @ 1080p @ 60hz.

1 Like

Yes, it is expected to produce artifacts at 1080p and requires a bright display. I was in the hope that you could raise the oled power trying at least 1440p.

Indeed your preset does look very good under “normal” conditions.

1 Like

Obviously, the screenshots are captured internally via retroarch rather than what it looks like on the OLED. I run my OLED in Vivid mode, OLED light @ 95, Contrast @ 100 and Brightness @ 52 (again, in PC mode).

I don’t like 1440p, as in my view, I’m not sure it scales well at screen level to 4k.

But, as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

Usually, things like scanlines and masks get screwed at any non-native resolution of the display. Is this shader behaving any differently?

I suppose it mostly depends on the scaling used by the display and on the source and dest resolution. On my display, 1440p to 4k scaling (lot of room) still produced a flawlessly picture. Also, scanlinesì gaps are mostly unaffected in any case.

But yes, koko aio behaves differently in that regard when it comes to non 1x horizontal masks, since it can optionally not rely on 1:1 matching between mask and screen coordinates.
If there is room, it can be used to emulate sub-phosphor glow.

How dows this slotmask look to you? In the hunt for a more convincing slotmask effect on 1080p resolutions, i’ve found this.
The mask is standard green magenta, and the vertical stagger is standard 0.5 one, but this is particular because the phosphor height is exactly 2 scanlines and the whole phosphor grid has been shifted down by 1/8 (new parameter).

This produced an interesting crt like effect on low/mid tones imho:

3 Likes

Hi Kokoko3k, thank you for your tireless work. Unfortunately I view from smartphone, but from what I can see and from my taste I really like the final result. From what I see I would put just a little bit more brightness since, if I’m not mistaken, slotmasks tend to darken the image. By now on smartphone I have found my ideal size with your PGRID3 preset that you had inserted a few days ago, but as soon as I can format the Mini PC I would like to find a similar result there too. You’ve taken a great direction.

2 Likes

HA.
I wish i could know what is that direction, since i’m in the middle of nowhere and everywhere at the same time, too many ways to take and experiment.

pgrid presets were just moved into a WIP directory, i suggest you to save the prset you like, just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like