Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

Mmh, i guess glcore is a Linux specific thing. I honestly don’t know what is required to port from (current) slang to gl, but I can only smell performance degradation versus vulkan (even GLcore runs slower here), so don’t hold your breath, sorry…

1 Like

all good man. thx for answering my questions

Glcore is on windows too :slight_smile:

There’s no need to port, If you can get your preset working on D3D11 then it will probably run on the Xbox S/X

The Mega Bezel now runs in DX11 and also runs on Xbox S/X

5 Likes

I must be missing something.

Does slang work on dx11 or not? If I’m not mistaken, MBZ uses slang only, but still MIKEBLK said that on xbox he can’t see the slang shaders.

Also, there:

…I only see GL and Vulkan as target shader languages, so I’m a bit lost, honestly :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have personally run it using the dx11 video driver, and I have direct confirmation from at least one person that they have had it running successfully on the Xbox Series X

I’m pretty sure that what happens is SpirCross-V converts it to glsl and that’s what dx11 uses

2 Likes

To clarify, I’m able to load slang_shaders on series S. For some reason whenever trying to load koko-aio slang shaders on d3d11, they fail to load. That is what lead to my question yesterday.

I can confirm, even the heaviest MBZ 0 presets, including Cyberlab’s run on a Series S. As I mentioned before, they do take a couple minutes to load.

3 Likes

Texture name 'isrotated_passFeedback' not found in semantic map, Probably the texture name or pass alias is not defined in the preset (Non-semantic textures not supported yet)

Presets are working with vulkan, got this with D3D11 driver. I experienced the passfeedback feature isn’t always working properly with D3D11, but still get working mine without compiler errors, just misfunctioning.

4 Likes

Well it was a borderline case that surprised me too because it worked.

Basically i was able to determine in the screen was rotated (in cores that doesn’t prerotate content) by comparing the original size with the viewport one.

Since this query works only in a pass that scales to viewport, but i needed that info in the early pipeline stage, I stored that info in the alpha channel of “isrotated_pass” (if memory serves me), and then i queried that pass feedback from several passes before.

Since GLcore works as well, I don’t consider this an ‘hack’ or the exploit of a glitch, and is probably as you say, dx11 implementation is not 100% working in this regard.

Granted, this is not a crucial feature, but I’not considering the hypotesis of stripping it from the shader to overcome implementation issues.

And btw, thank you very much to have taken the time to test, I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure why it’s failing on you because I do some pass feedback shenanigans as well, perhaps there’s some small difference which is causing the problem,maybe it’s specific to getting the feedback pass from a different pass.

2 Likes

It is probably because the pass isn’t really defined yet.

It is not misbehaving like it happens for guest.r shaders on dx11, it just doesn’t have a clue what that pass is! :sweat_smile:

Please implement a “scale to original” metadata in slangp, so that one can freely go back and forth from viewport!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s on my list somewhere :wink:

5 Likes

I can help you finding it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well then,
I managed to ditch the problematic pass while retaining the old features. Performances should not be impacted at 1920x1080 and may be a bit higher when going up with resolution, but not much.

If the problem noted by guest.r was the only one preventing koko-aio from running on d3d11, that change should be enough to make it run.

8 Likes

awesome. i’ll check it out and let you knw :call_me_hand:

is this going to be implemented in a future retroarch build or is your github updated? whats the best way to test this out?

1 Like

see first post, grab the development archive and unpack it somewhere in the existing slang shaders folder. It will make its way in the official shaders when a new stable release will be issued.

2 Likes

Since I’m thinking to release a new stable soon, have you tried to run it?

2 Likes

I unpacked the development .zip in the first post. Dropped the contents into the RetroArch directory…

shaders > shaders_slang > bezel > koko-aio

Tested SNES on bsnes and Genesis on Genesis Plus GX

Got the same ‘Failed to apply shader preset:’ as before. Hope this info is helpful.

weird, at least we tried…

thx for trying to find a solution bro. I’m around if you need someone to test somethn out on the Series S :+1:

Love these shaders. I know it’s for Tv/Monitor, but any chance of Tate version for vertical arcade games?

Cheers

K