Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

Hi there.

Yes, there’s no alpha channel blending for the backdrop, you could even use a jpg to save on file size.

What do you expect to see under it? There’s nothing; finder is pretending a black surface; but why not white… or pink? :sweat_smile:
Maybe you’ve set a black background in the png expecting it to pass through the image alpha channel?

In those real cabs (but I never saw one for real), the game content is added “over” it via a mirror trick , so I just add it in the shader as well.

If its appearence differs from the real image (you say it shines) then it is something i can work on; but if it looks the same and you are trying to use the png alpha channel to make it darker, why not just make it darker on its rgb channel with brightness/contrast options via a gfx program?

If your problem is that the game content does not cover the backdrop well, then it is a matter of the game not being bright enough and you just use the shader parameters (glow power) to push the game signal strength.

Let me know!

Ok, understood, I tried the wrong thing.

EDIT: Yeah, brightness down and contrast up does the trick, looks much better now! You also see clamp to border in action!

The issue: With the stock backdrop of astdelux from Mr.Do‘s Artwork, the picture is so strong that you hardly see the vectors at stock slang options. You must push glow etc so hard that the vectors start to pulse.

I will try with brightness and contrast, I previously used alpha for scratch effects of monitors in MAME, but as you explain, this is the complete wrong approach. Many thanks!

Hi kokoko3k, I’ve tried your updates and, in particular, lingered on your “classic take” option. Assuming that I always use the FXAA option (it’s clear by now that I love the smooth look) here are some belzel-wider snapshots with classic take :

These however are with type 2 slotmask :

1 Like

My very personal opinion: always assuming that they should give you a golden statue for the value for money of your shaders, which is very light and gives an exceptional graphic result, assuming that my taste for smooth (for that I always use FXAA) does not reflect the goal for which the shaders set itself to do, so I understand that my taste can be considered not close to the set goals, however I lean towards the type 2 slotmask. However, the flexibility of your shaders can really make everyone happy, and the classic take will surely satisfy those looking for a more truthful style and respectful of the graphics of the time. Thanks always infinitely for your immense work.

PS It would be nice if there was a “Duimon” situation, and I mean its overlays pack with CRT Guest as main shader, but with your work. In short, it would be nice to take full advantage of your work with a package of pre-configured overlays tailored to koko-aio.

Glad it is working good now.

I’d suggest you to not reference slotmasks or scanlines presets for vector games, maybe a plain fxaa with bloom is more appropriate, since the real machines were using a different technology to display things.

As always, thank you for your kind words.

@estefan3112 is already doing a wonderful job, as you can see.

And since you mentioned it, @Duimon is so kind to release his great work in the form of simple overlays which are very easy to adapt to koko-aio; it is really a matter of editing 2 strings and 3 numbers per overlay.

Everybody is welcome to contribute!

1 Like

Is there a guide on this for noobs like me??? :smiley:

I wanted to share my personal koko-aio setup with you and get some feedback or advice on it. Starting from the development version, using the “monitor-bloom-slotmask” preset, here are my changes:

FXAA Enable - 1

Glow/Blur Enable? Sharpness, horizontal - 3,50 Sharpness, vertical - 3,50

RGB Deconvergence enable ? (Bad With FXAAA) - 0

Slotmask Type (disable (0) with darklines!) - 2

Curvature enable? - 0

Bezel Enable? Straight - 1

What do you think ?

Nope that i know of, but if you are interested, I can make one or we can message each other and speak italian, if you prefer. You could start by taking a look to monitor-Commodore_1084S.slangp (ok there are more numbers to edit lol), and add a line like bg_over=/path/to/your_new_overlay.png or even taking a look to slangp made by estefan or even the ones already done by Starman99x.

1 Like

Absolutely, we’ll organize ourselves as soon as I have more time and you can explain to me, thank you very much, very kind

Here is plain fxaa with bloom, it really looks nice with vectors, many thanks!

2 Likes

You used an “harder” slotmask with smoother borders. It makes sense and particulary I like G&g.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, I have to unplug in the future but will investigate as soon as I can the option to use Duimon overlays with your shader.

I wanted to make an update: changing both sharpeness values to 5.00 instead of 3.50 results in having a slightly pixelated image (a minimum that doesn’t hurt either since we’re talking about retrogaming) in favor of a much less blurry and much more pleasant image to be seen. If you try it let me know.

I inderstood you liked smooth borders (i understand now you don’t mean blurry), but yes, those values modulate the image sharpness, it is matter of taste and if you’re after a good arcade crt setup, having it higher is better.

As I always say, the truth lies somewhere in between - Thank you for your work, feedback and patience

2 Likes

Very kind of you, but really many thanks for your great work.

Just to illustrate how useful clamp to border is if a game is played in a very stretched window.

Edit: I found the static option for clamp to border in config.globals.inc and will try to put it static.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi kokoko3K - I needed some advice please - after finding my way with your shader in terms of customization using slotmask number 2, I wanted to set an aperture grill variant as my screen type, but the image looks a bit off too light for my taste. Where exactly can I take action to achieve my goal? I’ve attached a screenshot:

PS - the quality/performance ratio of your shader is priceless, you have done a miracle and it is urgent to get yourself a golden statue in the square of the city where you live, you are a national hero, I can’t believe you can take advantage of options and graphic effects of this type with a negligible performance weight. In the future, since I would like to emulate heavier systems, can you explain better the history of the possibility of acting manually, via text file, on the file to increase performance even further. Meanwhile my next step is to adapt your shader to Duimon overlays, as soon as I can I will and I will keep you and the community updated. Heartfelt thanks for your work.

I don’t see it that light in the sense that i cannot spot clipping/saturated colors.
However the parameters that can influence the brightness are:

• Luminance push

• contrast in

• brightness in

• gamma out

• (glow/blur) input signal strength

• (halo) strength

• (bloom) final mix

• (bloom) gamma out

• (bloom) power

• (bloom) modulate temporal eye adaption strength

• (bloom) modulate strength on bright areas

Since bloom is under work, it may be possible that in the dev version it is a bit overpowered, so i’d strt by putting it off and see if it is the culprit; if yes, i’d continue to change the bloom mix parameter.

In order of probability, if bloom is not to blame, the next setting i’d change is the glow input signal strength.

good look :slight_smile:

1 Like