Lag with PS4 Controller but not keyboard (better controller?)

I want to preface this discussion with I am very new to this and so need to be hand held a little. Also, I’ve read a bunch on this subject on various forums, but most of the discussion is over my head and there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on a solution.

I am using Lakka on a Rasberry Pi 3. After installing Lakka and loading ROMs using putty I connected my PS4 controllers via cable and bluetooth. At first glance it seems like the PS4 controllers worked great, but I started noticing some glitching and lagging when moving through the Lakka menus as well as in most games. What I mean by lagging and glitching is that buttons will occasionally not respond or have a delayed response. The lag/glitch isn’t terrible, but it makes it hard to do well at any game. I improved it a little by setting my TV to game mode. However, I completely fix the issue if I only use a basic Dell USB keyboard. Is there a solution to the lag when using the PS4 controller? Or is there a better controller to use? Can you play two player with two keyboards? Would RetroPie work better?

I also have lag with a DualShock 4. Personally I’ve had a better experience with an 8bitdo controller.

See this thread for reference: Multiple Bluetooth controllers

I went out and bought a PS3 controller (which the thread you mentioned recommends) and mini USB cable. But whenever I plug it in, the menu starts rapidly scrolling up and down. Help?

I use 2 DS3 controllers with a Bluetooth dongle and I have zero lag (or it seems to not have lag) for some years, I’m using the original SCP drivers you can find on pcsx2 forums.

If you use Windows 10, you don’t need to install the xbox gamepad drivers, if you use Windows 8.1 and below you’ll need those drivers to make it work as a native Windows gamepad.

Can you tell us exactly how you’re using this gamepad, directly via USB, if you installed some driver for it, etc?

I’m asking because a friend of mine use DS3 and DS4 on his PC with a nice Bluetooth dongle and they work with lag free.

In my first comment, I say that I am using Lakka on a Rasberry Pi. So, no windows and no drivers. Also, as I said the DS3 is plugged directly into the Pi using a USB cable. However, I think I’ve fixed the problem. I needed to press the reset button (on back next to L1) while it was plugged in to get it to connect properly.

Known bug:

Thats good to know. However, there is no mention of that bug in the input documentation. One line mentioning the bug should be added to it so that people dont go crazy trying to fix it.