Lakka image for Banana Pi M1

Hello,

I wanted to share my build of Lakka for the Banana Pi M1.

The last version of Lakka to support the Banana Pi was 2.1-rc5. It is not available for download on Lakka’s website anymore, which is a shame because it ran great on the Banana Pi.

I fixed some of the packages so they can be compiled on a modern Ubuntu system, also updated Retroarch and the libretro cores to the current development version of Lakka.

Here is the image file:

Lakka 2.1 Banana Pi – Google Drive

If you need composite TV output, download the script.bin file from my folder and replace the one on the SD card with it.

If you need analog audio output:

cp /etc/asound.conf /storage/.config/asound.conf

now open this file and replace sunxisndhdmi with sunxicodec, then reboot.

I have also uploaded the updated Lakka source to the Google drive folder. This will allow you to create your own builds for the available devices in Lakka 2.1.

All credit goes to the original creators of Lakka - I am just making the build available for download again.

Suggested cores for best performance

• SNES: Snes9x 2005 Plus
  • N64: Mupen64Plus-Next
  • NES: Nestopia

Overclocking

You can overclock the Banana Pi for much better performance. Some of the more demanding cores such as Snes9x2010 and Genesis Plus GX do have some minor dips here and there (from 60 to 55 FPS), especially in more demanding games. With overclocking they should be running at full speed. N64 performance is also greatly improved.

Connect to the BPi over SSH and issue the following commands:

echo 1152000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 1152000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

1152000 means 1152 MHz. This usually works well. The default clock is 960 MHz. If the system freezes at any point, try a lower clock value.

These changes will be reset after a reboot. To make it permanent, you can add these commands to the autostart.sh script:

echo "echo 1152000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" >> ~/.config/autostart.sh
echo "echo 1152000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" >> ~/.config/autostart.sh 

You could also create the autostart.sh file on another computer and copy it over using Samba (put it into the folder named Configfiles). This will also work if you cannot access the command line for some reason.

1 Like