Mednfn PSX Software Core Internal rez Crash

I put this on github but don’t know if it’s common or just me. But when I try to increase internal rez on the vulkan backend, retroarch always crashes. Could it be something I have enabledd or is it just the core?

Actually this only happens to me on the HW version and not on the software version. I’d like to know how to change it on the HW version without getting the crash.

Seems to happen when I have the slang scalefx shader on. Doesn’t seem to happen without it:

Edit: Same behavior with Nestopia and Desmume core. Except internal resolution doesn’t matter. Old mame versions become worst of all because you can’t use old versions for game compatibility because vulkan isn’t made to work for them and they just crash with slang shaders activated.

wut? Software-rendered cores don’t care what context they’re running under. Something else must be going on there. Can you get us a log?

I took a screenshot of the log above? If that’s not what you are looking for, how do I go about getting what you require?

This is log for genesis core crash: https://s29.postimg.org/6im4xits7/gencore.png

Edit: oh, misread. I’ll get you that mame core screenshot in a bit.

Edit2: Ok, false alarm for the MAME i guess. Seems like it was because at the time, I still had a 2016 mame core from June and I didnt update that same one til now, or because I was picking a midway game? I dunno :stuck_out_tongue: Edit3: Ok, tried the 2014 core from the thread that said it fixes the midway game problem: MAME: Midway Games Exit at Initializing

It crashes. Also tried other games. They all crash. I also tried downloading the 2010 core and everything crashes.

All I’m seeing in those logs is a bunch of shader passes. Can you disable that temporarily and/or launch from a command line with --verbose --log-file log.txt and then copy/paste those contents on pastebin?

All I’m seeing in those logs is a bunch of shader passes. Can you disable that temporarily and/or launch from a command line with --verbose --log-file log.txt and then copy/paste those contents on pastebin?

http://pastebin.com/2WRqRJgZ

I’m still just seeing a bunch of shader shit. Can you try loading with no shaders?

ok, you said and/“OR” LOL. I’ll disable and send in a bit. In middle of running deliveries.

Had to disable shaders throught the text file directly for it would not let me do it in emu. So afterward, got this:

http://pastebin.com/urb086BS

I don’t see any errors in there :confused:

Are you sure you’re using the correct ROMs for those cores?

I have 0.175 set roms. I know it’s probably a given that they wouldnt work with 2010. But in the link, the guy says his 0.175 works with that 2014 version: quote from that guy: “Awesome…thanks! I switched to the MAME 2014 core and everything seems to be okay. Even with the 0.175 set + BIOS, the current Git core apparently has issues with most 90’s Midway cabinet games.”

So I switched back to opengl and all roms, even the midway roms, work with that 2014 version in the link. But when I switch back to vulkan, restart, and try the same games with that same 2014 version, they all crash.

Weird. I guess you could have some weird driver/GPU incompatibility thing going on, but MAME is software-rendered, so it shouldn’t matter which context you use.

I wanted to post this last night but site was too slow but if it helps: I can’t remember if you and the izzle guy on github are the same person xD But he mentioned something about a huge framebuffer. But if everything is well on the opengl front, does that mean that there’s a framebuffer type issue going on with vulkan?

I don’t update nvidia drivers alot because there’s not much most updates are offering. Auto vulkan updates usually update with the graphics drivers. So along with retroarch updates, should I be updating vulkan drivers manually?

Edit: updated manually to new vulkan sdk. Nope didn’t change anything.

still happening. psx hw or sw cores. scalenx shader even at x1 with core internal rez anything above x1:

Here is my whole setup for testing: https://mega.nz/#!PktHiaYA!OAHKsYvXrLndmOqe_5ZE7vxDw5a00cibB7JbQubkFZE

You should probably just be keeping your video drivers up to date. Also, both the retroach video driver settings and the core settings need to be set to vulkan. That stopped the resolution change crash for me.

we’ve already went over that. guess I’ll just have to face the fact that I’ll never be able to utilize vulkan in every core and will have to stay on opengl because things in certain cores won’t allow me to use it without it being a low rez image :confused: (both already on vulkan). Have no idea whether it’s the asset loading bug on vulkan mentioned in other posts because I don’t know how to disable the covers once they are already downloadeded.

go to settings > user interface > menu and set the ‘thumbnails’ option to OFF.

Sigh, unfortunately it doesn’t seem this is related afterall because it still crashed after I toggled thumbnails off : ( Thanks for letting me know where that option was though.