Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

An update that allows Megatron to work correctly, is not an update to Megatron. I am assuming that the current standalone version is ahead of the Mega Bezel integrated version.

1 Like

There was an update to Megatron that basically implemented the same or a similar fix to get the broken HDR in Vulkan bug working.

I assumed that the Mega Bezel implemention was updated to the latest version of Megatron as well.

Since the version just after the HDR not working bugfix, which was version 5.6 if I recall correctly, there would have been some significant changes to the tonemapping in the subsequent version, 5.7.

I think the fix @HyperspaceMadness mentioned is local to the Mega Bezel. Although he thinks it will fix it, he has said he is not sure why the scaling breaks it.

I assume if Megatron was updated it would be in this list.

Exactly what I assume makes the standalone look different from the Mega Bezel version.

You have much more experience than I do with Megatron. Does the default Megatron standalone look the same to you as the Mega Bezel version?

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve used Mega Bezel extensively but I can give it a go once I get a chance sometime over the next day or two to check and see.

The latest release does not have an update of the Megatron version, only an update to the last pass scaling issue which seems to cause problems.

1 Like

Yes, they do look different and there are several reasons why this might be so.

These include the Preprocessing that the shaders which have been integrated in Mega Bezel might apply, other Mega Bezel customizations as well as the changes made between Megatron V5.6 and 5.7.

Do also remember that the Mega Bezel Megatron Base and Root Presets are all using Megatron in SDR mode so you’ll have to switch the SDR/HDR parameter to HDR in order to set things up correctly and for changes to Peak Luminance and Paperwhite Luminance to have any effect.

With that said you can still achieve good results with the older version of Megatron included in Mega Bezel.

I did notice some glaring bugs with the reflections though. Not the same rainbow effects but in some dark scenes there was a huge red reflection while in some bright scenes there was a large green reflection. These anomalous reflections were blended with the proper reflections.

Here are two presets I made while testing.

The second one references the first one and so is dependent on it being in the same folder using the exact filename referenced.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Megatron 4K HDR Game SNES RC1.slangp

#reference “shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/Root_Presets/MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV__MEGATRON.slangp”

HSM_STATIC_LAYERS_GAMMA = "0.560000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "100.000000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "0.000000"
hcrt_hdr = "1.000000"
hcrt_colour_accurate = "0.000000"
hcrt_max_nits = "660.000000"
hcrt_paper_white_nits = "660.000000"
hcrt_expand_gamut = "1.000000"
hcrt_lcd_subpixel = "1.000000"
hcrt_crt_resolution = "0.000000"
hcrt_saturation = "0.260000"

CyberLab Mega Bezel Megatron 4K HDR Game SNES Fine RC1.slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Megatron 4K HDR Game SNES RC1.slangp"

hcrt_crt_resolution = "1.000000"

Hellos, I love the project I use it all the time on my Retroarch set up on pc, but I was wondering? will this work on android? I’d like to have these bezels on my phone so I can play on the go.

Yes, it will work on Android. Just choose the presets from a performance tier which matches your devices capabilities.

Found an interesting blog others might enjoy.

Edit: Found the video

2 Likes

This may be off-topic,
but in Japan, the table type was the most common type of Nintendo. This was due to the demand for placing them in cafes. This was the predecessor of the city type in game arcades. Basically, it was a style where sat down to play. p505969163.1 p505969163.2

On the other hand, it was quite rare to find a game that could be played standing up, and if there was, it was placed outside a candy shop…on the street, where could play for 50 yen.

The style where could play sitting on a chair was 100 yen. In the old days, there were some that charged 10-50 yen, but the basic price was 100 yen. It was like paying extra for a chair. :rofl:

So from my point of view, the arcade cabinet where play standing up looks fresh.

So I have quite a headache with Overlay and such in arcade games. I’m not familiar with Style, which is played standing up… that said, if it’s a table type, it’s a strange feeling to recreate this in Overlay. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hi thanks for the excellent progress! I am trying to make it work for nintendo switch, which has only the gl drivers for the shaders. Does it work? Anyone knows how?

1 Like

The “gl” driver will not work, the “glcore” driver will.

1 Like

For some reason, when I want to apply some Megatron preset, it doesn’t activate properly with HDR.

It only happens to me with the MegaBezel Megatron presets, since when I use Megatron by itself everything goes perfectly.

Has anyone had this problem?

I share a couple of photos. Thank you for your answers!

@HyperspaceMadness I didn’t want to ask about this in the vertical overlay thread, but what are the settings he is using to get the reflections on the overlay? Right now I only have them on the inner bezel.

1 Like

You have to ensure that if you’re using the Vulkan Driver:

Make sure HDR is enabled in RetroArch.

After you load the Mega Bezel Megatron Preset, Make Sure you toggle the SDR/HDR parameter to HDR in Shader Parameters.

After that, you have to adjust your Peak Luminance and Paperwhite Luminance settings according to the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor setup instructions.

Before you do all of this, be sure you’re using the latest Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.15.0+

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.16.0_2023-12-10

Changes:

• Updated to Guest Advanced crt-guest-advanced-2023-12-02-release1 (Includes new High Res Scanlines feature)
  • Adjusted some Parameter Positioning, High Res Scanlines Appears with interlacing settings

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

SmoothAdv Regular Scanlines

SmoothAdv HiRes Scanlines

STD Preset

SmoothADV

SmoothADV with HiRes Scanlines

SmoothADV with No Scanlines

SmoothADV with No Scanlines, With Mask

14 Likes

Thank you for your response Cyber, I really appreciate your participation here, your presets combined with Megabezel were the gateway that led me to participate in this forum. Very good work.

Regarding the RetroArch settings, I have everything as you mention, I use Vulkan for almost everything, HDR activated (working perfectly with the Megatron default version in the hdr folder) and with the appropriate luminance so that it looks ideal before my eyes.

The problem is that when I load the Megabezel settings with Megatron, the HDR is not applied correctly, I can identify it by pressing F1 and seeing how the menu color remains faded, when it normally changes when using a Megatron setting.

I’ll do a few more tests and comment on the forum to see what happens.

Has everything worked well for you? I don’t know if it’s of any use, but I want to mention that I use a 4k monitor with BGR subpixel division. I have noticed that a large number of participants use an OLED TV.

Greetings! :grin:

1 Like

This sounds like you’re using an older version of Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

You have to manually update to get to version 1.15.0 or now 1.16.0.

Remember all Mega Bezel Megatron Base and Root Presets use Megatron SDR Mode so you would have to manually switch them to HDR Mode in the Shader Parameters.

You can try these sample presets I’ve included which have the correct HDR toggle enabled in the Shader Parameters.

They have to go into the “Shaders” Folder. Post your Peak and Paper White Luminance settings as well.

1 Like

You were right! I just updated to the version and now everything works without problems (photo attached)

I also attach my adjustments to the peak luminance of my screen. It is a monitor with DisplayHDR1000.

I usually set it to 1000 as peak and 700 as PaperWhite.

Thank you very much for your support Cyber!

Also many thanks to HyperspaceMadnes for your splendid work with those realistic bezels! I love it!

2 Likes

So, the Hi-Res scanlines are only for use with smoothing, and won’t work without it?