Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

In GDV you can set the NTSC preset to “custom” to get all the benefits of composite (i.e., blended dithering) without the dot crawl and rainbows.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’ll play around with it. In my case I was actually trying to reproduce some of the rainbows (for example in the pipes in Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Hedgehog 2) but not too excessively though. I love the slight colour fringing on the white text that the Built-in Blargg NTSC Composite setting adds to NES and Sega Genesis games.

Were you able to download any of my video clips to finally get to see what I see?

Update:

I looked around but I didn’t see this setting available in my HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader Preset parameters. I don’t know if I’ll see them if I manually edit the base GDV preset. Is this setting available @HyperspaceMadness?

Update 2:

In my quest to find this NTSC Custom setting, I saw @Nesguy 's presets in the Experimental Folder. I had seen them before but I decided to give them a try this time around.

I must say that I came away impressed and enlightened. I now understand the importance of proper scanline alignment. So, even though I’m still on my quest to find this elusive NTSC Custom setting, I most likely will have to put that on the back burner, do some studying, reverse engineering and possibly borrowing (lol) from some of @Nesguy 's presets in order to improve the detail, accuracy and subjective and objective quality of my presets.

Now that I’ve seen how properly aligned scanlines are supposed to look, I can’t unsee them so that might mean goodbye to “fake” scanlines and possibly even rolling scanlines as well in my presets as I learn more and move forward.

Where I come from, when you want to acknowledge that you’ve realized that someone really knows what they’re doing, you might say, “Yuh hadda gih jack he jacket”. So as far as @Nesguy is concerned, “Ah hadda gih jack he jacket”.

I tested all the non-Max-int-Scale presets and the ones that I liked and looked good on my TV were:

Nesguy__TVL-360,
Nesguy__TVL-540,
Nesguy__Aperture__Med-TVL__Mask-2__N6
and
Nesguy__Aperture__Low-TVL__Mask-7__Dbl-Phosphor-Width__N0

I still prefer my colour settings though, including the use of NTSC-U over NTSC-J, plus I found these presets to be a little too much on the cool side even after switching to NTSC-U. Also, I had to turn off that curvature.

I guess it’s back to the drawing board once again. Thanks always to all who made this possible!

4 Likes

Hi Guys,

I’ve been loving these shaders and bezels but I have an issue with a specific game. Tekken 3 running in duckstation core. All other PS1 games are fine but when I ran Tekken 3, the shaders turn my screen aspect ratio to vertical mode? does anyone know how I can fix this…

Screenshot here…

Probably this is a dumb question, but how I can add the Mega Bezel features to other shader? Specifically to CRT royale xm29 plus.

Hey, yeah it’s not there ;). This is part of the Guest-DrVenom NTSC preset which is a different shader chain than Guest-DrVenom. I’m planning on adding new base presets for this, but they’re not there yet.

This is caused by Tekken3 having an odd pixel resolution which is more vertical than horizontal. You can fix this by setting the aspect ratio orientation parameter to horizontal. Also if you could turn on the resolution debug which is one of the first parameters in the list and make a snapshot so I can see what the exact resolution is I can maybe fix for the future.

Hi, not a dumb question :smiley: . The short answer is that you can’t.

The long answer is that for a specific crt shader to be used in the Mega Bezel some surgery needs to be done on it to work. Every extra shader added to the package adds more code to maintain. Also Royale is especially problematic because of how it’s shader chain is a lot different than the others. I actually did have a version of Royale in the Mega Bezel but removed it because of the difficulty in maintaining it.

Guest-DrVenom’s fflexibility 8s really impressive and can create a lot of different looks. There is a preset in the variations called something like Royale-Clone which looks somewhat like Royale which you could try then maybe tweak to the look of the xm29 plus.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smiley:

6 Likes

Yikes, those really need to be updated! :grimacing:

I think I’ll have some time this evening to check out your new stuff.

Didn’t Kurozumi do a GDV preset a while back? Is this the same thing?

Kurozumi’s presets are very good, he’s one of the few that actually takes the time to make sure everything is properly calibrated and optimized. I think you need a wide color gamut for them to look right, though (someone jump in if I’m wrong).

I know I already posted this shot, but damn. That’s a photo of the actual screen, folks. Not a screenshot.

4 Likes

Well, you can take a look but guess what? I now have to update everything again because they all suffer from the drawbacks of misaligned scanlines even though they still look good in my opinion.

I’m trying to achieve the best of both worlds now. I see the way that increased core resolution can detract from the original presentation and add even more spiking of the scanlines edges.

With that said, I already have an acceptable replacement for my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - Pure) preset and I did a quick update to my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels - (Composite - Sharp) preset but haven’t tested it extensively yet. There are so many looks and variations that can still look great but it’s easy to blur and lose detail in the process if you’re not careful.

I’ll post these new presets as soon as I can.

4 Likes

Finally get to start playing with shaders! Where can I get these from? I understand they’re not on bezel yet, but I haven’t been able to a link to your CyberLab presets on this page either.

1 Like

That’s strange. I’ve posted many links to my presets over the past 2 months, even since you started posting here over a week ago. I don’t want to spam the thread but I’ll share the link once more but I do encourage you to take a browse through some of the past posts.

With that said I’m currently in the process of a major overhaul and update of my presets so if you hold on or check back in a bit I’ll start posting the updated versions hopefully in some hours.

Just updated my presets! Updated video clips and screenshots to follow later!

The Old RF presets are at the links below. I haven’t decided if I should add these to my main preset post yet. I might need to test them out properly on some ancient Atari (or similar) games (or perhaps someone else can) before adding them.

Update: 19/10/21

@2V3EvG4LMJFdRe I just updated all of my 70s RF presets that had changed due to my recent preset overhaul. I’m pretty confident that all of my changes will work but you can try them out and tell me if all is well. If I didn’t do this the presets would no longer look like they did when I initially made them.

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness as requested, tekken 3 debug info. I am using a 21:9 monitor by the way, not sure if that changes anything.

2 Likes

When I update my presets (With the next shader release.) the graphic should automatically fill the background.

5 Likes

Have you tried the core’s downscaling option? IMO there is very little reason to use CRT shaders at very high resolutions. I think downscaling looks quite a bit better than 1x resolution. BTW are you using the FullScreen aspect as well as have integer scaling off?

Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

I’ll check this out, I found the post from October 2019, it was done before the guest advanced shader came around. @Kurozumi’s preset is one that seems to get quite close to mimicking a PVM, so with dark scanlines and a lot of visible scanline dynamics. From their snapshots the kurozumi GDV really matches the CRT Royale Kurozumi very closely, the only difference seems to be some better small texture in the mask in the GDV version.

6 Likes

Kurozumi’s presets are very good, he’s one of the few that actually takes the time to make sure everything is properly calibrated and optimized. I think you need a wide color gamut for them to look right, though (someone jump in if I’m wrong). I know I already posted this shot, but damn. That’s a photo of the actual screen, folks. Not a screenshot.

Kurozumi’s presets are very good, he’s one of the few that actually takes the time to make sure everything is properly calibrated and optimized. I think you need a wide color gamut for them to look right, though (someone jump in if I’m wrong).

That photo is my living room lcd-tv running the royale preset. Everything is standard in the screenshot, except max triad size desired = 3 , because it runs on 3840x2160 , to get visible tv lines. In resolutions smaller than 4k, usually the standard setting looks more authentic.

And i’m glad you like my preset. It’s based on the standard rec709 television gamut, so standard gamut or srgb is fine. It doesn’t try to do much on the color/saturation/gamma side, besides some conversion from the old rec601 standard (what crts used), that the colors aren’t off on modern displays. Besides that the more accurate your display runs, the better the results will be, at least in my book.

The dr guest version was just tinkering and trying out new shaders, and because royale is pretty demanding if you compare it to other shaders, and my preset doesn’t look that amazing on lower resolutions (below 1200p i would say), you can use that as an alternative, on 1080p i like dr guest more, on 1440p i like both pretty equal and on 4k, i would always go royale with mask size desired on 3.

I haven’t tried CRT Guest advanced yet, but since cov-19 my i got pretty busy with my dayjob, so i haven’t invested much time in retro gaming since then. But usually i always try to improve the shaders and usually @hunterk updates them, if i found nicer settings. Maybe i can invest more time in the shaders on holiday season, but hey, i’m still here, sometimes :grin: :+1:

Hope that answer helps

13 Likes

:heart:

4 Likes

Mega-bezel-reflection + Bezel Light Glass + Orions angel overlays=😍

5 Likes

Nice screenshots! What shader presets are you using?

Hi, HSM. I just noticed an issue in the COLOR TWEAKS section under Display Gamut. There are 5 options but only 4 selections are available (0, 1, 2, 3). This is with the Glass preset but it might be also the case for others. Thanks again for your work! :grin:

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for letting me know! It would appear in all of them, I’ll make sure to fix this in the next update :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think I noticed that too, I just thought it was just one of those things. Will the fix affect any existing presets?

3 Likes