Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

COOL :slight_smile:

If you do want to use higher core resolution for better definition of the polygons you can change the reference in a preset to one of the DREZ presets which will reduce the resolution in the first pass and you will probably not run out of graphics memory AKA vram.

This can also give you back your Scanline effects

5 Likes

When I used a higher resolution, the highest I could go is 1440x1080 before it crashed.

Edit: I have a Gtx 1650 with 4GB Ram and 16GB memory.

2 Likes

All of Cyber’s presets are using the ADV base preset as a reference, There is no functional difference that would effect the output so you can try changing his “CyberLab__Composite-Sharp__PVM-Edition__ADV.slangp” preset to reference the “MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp” instead. You should get less crashes.

2 Likes

I went ahead and changed it to MBZ__3__STD__DREZ-480p__GDV.slangp and everything worked fine.

2 Likes

That will work for Dreamcast, PSX, and N64. You can use “MBZ__3__STD__DREZ-240p__GDV.slangp” for other systems.

2 Likes

Yeah that would be important to use 240p for the 240p systems and 480p for the 480p systems. The 3ds, ds and PSP shaders will need to be used with those systems as well. There are so many shaders to pick for each system. The systems definitely have multiple native resolutions.

2 Likes

@Cyber I have a 3080 (10GB of VRAM) and 16 GB of RAM.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing ! another noob question : is it possible to change shaders “on the fly” without editing manually the slang file please ? sorry in advance if already answered in the thread

You have some serious firepower there!

Well in that case, if it’s a VRAM issue, you should be able to switch to even the highest internal resolution and load my presets. Then again back when I was doing that testing, I do remember switching to the 480p DC DREZ base Preset and trying to make a DC preset based on that. So I actually may not have tested those higher resolutions using my regular presets.

I abandoned that effort but did learn from the experience and just recently I was pleasantly surprised when a user had a question involving the use of one of my newer presets with DC (Flycast) and when I tried it out, it looked just perfect to me!

This doesn’t have anything to do with the presets being in the Experimental folder or being in an experimental state. My presets are not really designed specifically to work with @Duimon’s presets so little differences like these are not surprising.

What might mitigate this from occurring is if @Duimon had an explicit shader preset parameter defining the proper Integer Scale Mode that’s required for his presets. That way if my presets are referenced from his presets in order to combine them, his (possibly required) settings would override my settings.

This could also lead to a situation where he might have explicit shader preset settings which clash with and otherwise alter the appearance of my presets when combined in this manner. I started using Int. Scale Mode 1 for a very good reason so changing it to 0 has the potential to cause some scanline artifacts and moire patterns in certain combinations of games and cores.

Now this was done a little while ago and it’s also possible that changes made to my presets since then might have actually mitigated this requirement but since I’m now used to it, I most likely will be sticking with this setting for the foreseeable future as in most cases with it set to 1 I get a little more viewport real estate.

By the way, it’s nice to see screenshots of my presets in such esteemed company.

Thanks for helping out. This is the way.

I’m glad you got it sorted out! Look out for the next update! Hopefully when I update my 4K presets it wouldn’t break the 1080p ones.

@HyperspaceMadness These tests might actually have been done using the DC DREZ 480p preset that you had suggested I could try around the time when I was testing this and trying to get DC to look decent. Sorry for the mixup.

2 Likes

Yeah I believe it is.

CyberLab__Composite-Pure__1080p__ADV + Duimon graphic :point_down:

Compared to the original preset :point_down:

But of course in sprites heavy frames the scanline artifacts aren’t too obvious.

Thanks for the heads up, it’s always great pleasure to discover cool works all around this creative retro community :relaxed:

3 Likes

Unfortunately no, but maybe at some time in the future I might try to add a retroarch feature for this.

5 Likes

Some parameter changes in Duimon’s shaders might fix that. It seems the more proper way is to just resize the Cyber’s shader around Duimon’s graphics.

2 Likes

Yeah it could be, afterall you can control referenced shader’s parameters through HSM Shader. Will give it a try.

4 Likes

Most of my presets (At least the CRT one’s.) won’t have conflicting parameters so you can just change the reference in mine to a reference to Cyber’s. (I use the default Guest parameters.)

5 Likes

Hey folks! Excuse me to bother you here, but I was trying to redo “clean” shaders for all the systems of my PC Based arcade cab but none of my old setups work anymore and I can’t understand why.

(I hope it isn’t rude to add images on this post, if so I’ll delete them)

Here’s how my old shaders look like.

Any advice? Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Like

So I’m not sure of your steps here, did you get a new Mega Bezel package?

Really you should only be loading presets, changing parameters then saving simple presets. Then perhaps editing those simple presets in a text editor.

You should never need to and should probably not be editing the shader passes in the UI, or hitting apply changes.

Doing this will very likely break things, and even if it doesn’t, when you save a preset, it will likely cause the system to save a full preset including all the passes which is guaranteed to cause your presets to break when you update to a new Mega Bezel package in the future.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Hey! First of all thank you very much for answering personnaly!

I used to know how shaders worked so I used to mess around with them but it’s been a lot of months (maybe years?) since I last used them.

But the thing is that the steps I’m following here are pretty simple and straightforward, I only go to Shaders - Load - Select the Preset…

And nothing appears, even the shader that I applied before goes away and it says : “layers pass 0”

Maybe I should just try to wipe all the settings from my retroarch cfg? What would be the way to go? Thanks in advance once again, and thank you very much for your kind and fast help already!

from your screenshots it seems that you are on an older version of retroarch (1.9.5), to use HSM’s shaders I think is better to be on the latest RA version.

2 Likes

I’m on the last build and using a pretty solid computer inside the cab (RTX 3080), the only thing that changed the “image” is that I switched to a windows version to make the screens…

My path to the shaders is “D:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Retroarch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets”

Am I correct?

1 Like

1.9.8 is required not recommended.

I usually recommend starting with a clean install when first trying the Mega Bezel, but don’t do anything just yet.

I’m going to let HSM walk you through this but it is much easier than what you are doing.

@HyperspaceMadness Maybe a visual guide on loading shaders and saving presets is in order. I know when I first showed up here I spent a month or so manually editing shaders before I realized there was a parameters dialog. :upside_down_face: