Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

If you want to approximate realism, I’d go with the first preset. The second preset is mostly for handhelds.

2 Likes

Yeah I hear ya. I’m a fan of the uprezzing though, so I’m wondering if there’s a way to tweak that after loading the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV preset.

1 Like

The default preset uses the best settings for xbr so there really isn’t much to change in that regard. You could enable GTU and see if you like the effect. You can also change the

Scanline Dir Downsample Blur settings and see what you like.

1 Like

For this you want to play with the core sampling multiplier and downsample blur

You can try these settings for a sharper more detailed look

HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = 300
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_OPPOSITE_DIR = 125
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = 0
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = 0

If you want something super smooth you can set HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_OPPOSITE_DIR all the way up to 300.

I did some testing on a bunch of images and these are going to be the new defaults.

Here are some examples, first old smooth settings and new smooth settings

5 Likes

Is it possible to remove the frame and the resizing? I’m playing on a crt monitor but I love using the shader for that extra crt TV look that my monitor isn’t really capable of getting. I’ve tried other simpler shaders but none of them are as good as this one.

1 Like

Yes, take one of the presets from Mega_Bezel/Presets/Variations/Max-Int-Scale

Then change the Aspect Ratio parameter to FULL

And TaDaaaaa!! you have a full screen image ready for your CRT:

I wonder how many people would use this directly on a CRT if there were a number we could have some presets set up like this by default.

5 Likes

Ohhh, nice! Thanks! I tinkered around with it some more based on your suggestion (I like the new default you suggest!) and came up with some settings I like.

2 Likes

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness, I tried getting a link for Version 0.9.107 2022-04-17 Rev 1 that I could have pointed users to until the Scanline Gamma Offset is reintegrated but I couldn’t seem to find any older versions anywhere.

Are older versions still available at the moment?

You can get old versions from Github, there should be a tag set for recent released versions.

The new version with the scanline gamma should be out this week.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll check again.

I had a feeling it was imminent. I’m not one to rush quality though.

(Edit)

This is what I’m getting on your GitHub page.

Am I doing something wrong?

3 Likes

There haven’t been any Github releases done yet. Currently to get an old version you need to use Git and sync to the commit for the specified version.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to use Github releases yet.

My concern with it is that links to old releases will get out into the internet and we could end up with people using old versions and having problems and not knowing why or just thinking that the package is broken. This can end up with tech support problems or damaging the first experience with the Mega Bezel.

Having one place where users download from which always has the latest stable release has a lot of value.

This is a similar to the reason why you can’t get old versions of an app on the android play store; the developers always want you to be able to use the best most up to date version of their app.

5 Likes

Makes sense. That’s understandable.

1 Like

That’s why I prefer releasing numbered versions instead of continuous roll.

This way I can keep track of proper RetroArch and Mega Bezel versions for each release, and make them deprecated when we develop something cool/breaking!

4 Likes

It would be nice if users and creators could easily roll back at least 1 version just in case there are some showstopping bugs in a new release since this can also lead to negative first impressions and would make it easier for others to rollback as well if they were to attempt to assist in testing or comparing.

For example, I recently had to rollback the FB-NEO Core due to a major bug. I use that to play some of my favourite games. Rolling back was very easy to do.

Just today one of the devs said that they had implemented some fixes so I can test them out but if it doesn’t work out, I know that help is just a simple rollback away.

This might also relieve pressure on devs to rush out fixes because not every issue might be as simple as adding back a feature that was there from before, assuming that that is a relatively simple process.

So in general it can help users (who don’t backup every release before upgrading like myself) get back on their feet in a much timelier manner.

3 Likes

I’ll probably start putting the stable releases (same ones that go into the libretro repo) into Github releases

5 Likes

That would be pretty nice! I’ll directly link to the proper Mega Bezel release page for each of my releases.

Considering my behemothesque slowlyness, we can expect 2345 MBZ releases in between of 2 releases of mine!!! Ahahah

5 Likes

That will go a long way in stabilizing certain “milestone” preset and graphics releases as well, guaranteeing that certain (possibly matching) version combinations of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and Community Collections will look the same all the time while users are free to stay on the bleeding edge (at their own risk) if they prefer to have the latest and greatest.

5 Likes

I’m having issues with subpixels on several masks

I am using megabezel on a 4K screen and trying to use mask with full mask strength. I am having trouble with several masks that do not properly display triads and are mixing colors. I have confirmed that the resolution is 4K in megabezel and I am using a mask size of 2. I have verified that my LCD has RGB subpixel and MegaBezel is set accordingly. Here are screenshots of the problematic masks. https://imgur.com/a/Ha444pY

0 CGWG - Produces triads that looks like green and purple.

2 Lottes - Mostly looks good

5 Shadow mask - Mixture of green/blue/purple

9 SM - Mixture of green/blue/purple

10 SM - Looks good

11 SM - Triads are rainbow colored

I am aware that a 4K screen can only do so much but I don’t understand why some of these are not producing RGB triads especially #5 and #9

2 Likes

Masks 0, 5 and 9 are working differently with mask size 1.0 compared with mask size of 2.0. You can easily skip them with 4k and use other solutions.

The catch is that only mask size of 1.0 ensures a RGB subpixel distribution. With mask size of 2.0 you deal with magenta-green masks.

4 Likes

Probably the best thing to try here is set all the Mask Size and Slot Mask Size to 1.

In the Mega Bezel they are currently set at 0 by default which is auto (goes to size 2 at 4k). Which has caused problems for a few people now…

In the next release they will be set to 1 by default.

3 Likes