Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

It needs a little work to make it legit. :wink: I’ll spend some more time on it.

3 Likes

That would look nice on your TV5 or 6.

Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN looks so amazing with this ,

a few more shots

3 Likes

What overlay are you using here? Been looking for a minimalist but realistic and non-distracting overlay for these shaders. This looks great.

2 Likes

this is one of my own tv overlays the zoomed wide variation ^^ it´s in my pack if you want to give it a try

6 Likes

This looks interesting:

As well as this:

3 Likes

This is interesting… from the librashader post.

Loading the Mega Bezel Smooth shader goes from 42 seconds with singlethreaded shader compilation, to around 18 seconds without caching with just multithreading, to a mere 1 second load time on load with a hydrated cache.

I believe that is using DirectX11. :exploding_head:

He has developed a full shader caching method.

I wonder how he would feel about diving into the RA code.

5 Likes

hello i’m the guy from the death pixel shader who has a problem with presets on psx games

first of all i’ll exposed the first issue. there is seems to be some sort of blockynes in fmvs, there are some pixels that seems to be some sort of green? this isn’t the worst case as there is something even more worse, which it is with dino crisis i’ll upload images of this later.

1 Like

Can you add some screenshots rather than photos?

Also please include what it looks like without the crt effect applied, you can do this by changing the show pass parameter which is located near the A/B compare parameters.

Also, what specific Mega Bezel preset is this?

Wow… that would be amazing.

2 Likes

mbz_0_smooth_adv also which of this should i disable? i had seen also apparently i cannot change some values from inside retroarch so i’m gonna have to edit the preset file if you require any of them

Some of those are just a hack to have text describing the different values of the Show Pass Index parameter

without crt filter, as i’m quite guessing there is not much problems with blockyness under the preset i’m using, as we managed to figured out in cyberlab that apparently the intensified blockyness which is not that intense here was provoked by scanlines, let me check, is there any recommended psx preset,? i’ll check by myself the one is referring composite psx preset of cyberlab on hsm

Ok the one is linking cyberlab psx preset is seemingly not provoking problems on image in difference with cyberlab psx preset, this is the one that preset is using as a basis, the first image is under your preset and the second is under cyberlab preset

the name of psx preset cyberlab is using as a basis is: MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV__GDV__DREZ-480p.slangp

ok, i think i might have answer myself alone, there was a problem with non integer scale on cyberlab preset, let me check first with cyberlab and i’ll be back if there is anything else.

If I may comment. I have been following your conversation on the Cyber thread.

Part of the issue is that the PSX can use two different native resolutions. For simplicity I will say 240 or 480. (The actual resolution is a bit different.)

One issue is that a preset that uses 480 DREZ will not look good on 240 content. (Especially on a 1080 screen. (There will be some severe blending of pixels because there aren’t enough real pixels to display the details.)

Please keep in mind that if you are using a DREZ preset you NEED to have increased internal resolution… it is not optional… and will look completely wrong at native internal res.

Also FMVs (Movie cut scenes) are usually a different resolution than gameplay. This means that even though it looks good playing the game it may look awful in a cut scene.

This can all be complicated more by some of the severe deconvergence etc. that the presets may use. (You will get the pixel blending on the sub masks also.) <— this could explain the magenta you were seeing.

The final result is…

…that there is and will never be a one size fits all preset for the Playstation, especially in a game that uses FMVs.

IMHO (At least for the Playstation.) you are better off with a preset that is less minutely customized and works better at multiple resolutions.

4 Likes

thanks for everything i’ll leave the issue here, i’ll stick to cyber psx preset it looks pretty good and ok even if some effects can be a bit broken due to psx switching nature, but i’ll leave here, thank you for everything and have a wonderful day

1 Like
kinda offtopic but..

when can i run crt shaders on my outside view ??? kinda really want that

imagine playing shmups on such a "widow"s setup :sweat_smile:

1 Like

HI @HyperspaceMadness in your experince which shader similar to scalefx do you recommend? One that helps avoid the blockiness of old games without looking artificial, maybe scalefx its still the better one but havent had time to look for others

2 Likes

So I tested a lot if not all of the ones in the libretro repo. The two I would recommend are Scalefx which I have found to be the one which can handle the most smoothing possibilities, and Super XBR which doesn’t handle as many possibilities, but does well at preserving some small details which would be lost if they were smoothed, E.G. 8/16bit RPG character’s eyes.

3 Likes