Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Here’s a fun one I put together today. Instead of the standard MAME artwork drawn version, I used cabinets part images and mega-bezel bezel.

3 Likes

thanks for the answer, which variant do you prefeer?

1 Like

If you are using it with a crt filter on top (which I always do) then just scalefx.slangp the others add antialiasing which is only seen if you don’t use a crt pass.

This is already implemented in the SMOOTH-ADV in the Mega Bezel, have you already tried those?

3 Likes

I found about scalefx because the presets you implemented on mega bezel and the beautiful screenshots of gameplay you have posted

2 Likes

I set up a potato preset for Radiant Silvergun since it’s a bit glitchy with the normal ADV preset… and it does help a bit. This is the first Potato I have set up, so my question is… when I am running the Potato preset, the whole screen, background and CRT look very white and washed out. I tried lowering the background brightness a good bit, but it still looks pretty bad. What is causing that and can I make adjustments to counter it? Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot?

1 Like

It’s not very pretty. :grin:

Could you add a screenshot of what it looks like without the shader?

Also the potato preset in b the root of the Presets folder uses GDV-MINI, not GDV, if you look in the base presets there are other potato presets you could try

Also, how is it glitchy in the ADV preset? Just not running at full speed?

1 Like

Yeah, it has some minor lag. One of the few MAME games that won’t play full speed with the best shaders on my system… Ikaruga is even worse.

I just set this up fast for the screenshot, but its close to how my normal lighting would look.

1 Like

Can you post your preset?

Here it is running in one of my Potato presets.

So it appears there isn’t any kind of bug preventing it from working.

What does it look like using the unmodified base preset?

2 Likes

It works, it just looks washed out, like the above screenshot. I just tried the base preset and it looks the same. Now I’m wondering if it’s an HDR issue?

1 Like

HDR wouldn’t show up in a screenshot because it’s monitor controlled, not GPU.

I repurposed a candy cab image for a passable Galaxy Game cabinet. :grin:

I have a Galaxy Game overlay in my Arcade Originals repo.

3 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.11.0_2023-02-25

Changes:

• Guest Advanced updated to crt-guest-advanced-2023-02-25-release1
    • Improvements to the new Magic Glow feature
      • Turn Magic Glow on and Increase the Glow amount to see the effect
    • New Slot Mask Mitigation option to reduce moire
  • Added/Restored Guest’s Raster Bloom as well as Overscan control
  • Updated Comments in presets to use # instead of // as per @hunterk’s request
  • Added rotation option for Rotate CRT Tube:
    • -1 = 90 Degrees Clockwise (or 270 Counter Clockwise)
    • 0 = No Rotation
    • 1 = 90 Degrees Counter Clockwise
  • Added groundwork for the wildcard replacement feature so presets will auto rotate and not flip in the future

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

@Guest.r’s Slot Mask Mitigation (You may need to open these in a different editor to get them to show up at 100% size and not see additional artifacts coming from scaling of the image on the web page)

Original

Mask Mitigation at 1

Zoomed In Original

Zoomed In Mask Mitigation at 1

14 Likes

Oh… that’s nice… even got the coin slot. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi HyperspaceMadness, This is the update I’ve been looking forward to. Great job as always. A thousand thanks.

4 Likes

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness,

Take a look at the reflection effect in the following screenshots.

It looks like the reflection is made up of individual rays and they don’t match perfectly with the source.

In bright areas, it takes on the appearance of a sparsely spaced LED strip illuminating the reflection. It also has the appearance of rainbow colours with dark areas in between.

I think I’ve noticed this since 1.10.0.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t in 1.7.0 when I first noticed the reflection bug when Bezel Independent Scale is used.

@teste45321 what version of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader were you using with CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack when you took that screenshot above?

If you’re saying that I (and I’m assuming that also applies to all other users as well) should not use the horizontal sharpness stuff in the regular guest settings and instead use the parameters in ‘[ NTSC FILTERING OPTIONS ]:’ then why is the filtering section from the regular Guest Advance even there in the first place?

Mixing this regular crt-guest-advance pass with the crt-guest-advance-ntsc seems to have broken the NTSC Filtering Options - All of them. When I replace this regular crt-guest-advance pass with any crt-guest-advance-ntsc pass, the NTSC Filtering Options controls and effects work again.

Based on my understanding you attempted this hybrid approach in order to have ScaleFX functioning in the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV__GDV-NTSC.slangp presets yet the MBZ__1__ADV__GDV-NTSC.slangp as well as the MBZ__3__STD__GDV-NTSC.slangp (and possibly even more) base presets are also affected by this change even though they don’t have/use ScaleFX.

Why is the crt-guest-advance.slang shader also combined with the crt-guest-advance-ntsc.slang shader in those as well?

Do you think @guest.r himself might be able to have an idea as to what might have caused things not to work as intended in the first place?

Edit:

I’ve done some more extensive testing on this issue and I’ve noticed that it doesn’t seem to affect the SCREEN-ONLY__GDV-NTSC nor the NO-REFLECT__GDV-NTSC presets. This is probably because none of them use the hsm-crt-guest-advance.slang pass. They all use the hsm-crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-pass2-no-reflect.slang pass instead.

In my internal testing if I replace the hsm-crt-guest-advance.slang pass with hsm-crt-guest-advance-ntsc-pass1.slang instead, I get a similar result as the presets above, which is that the NTSC Filtering Options section’s effects and controls work as expected.

The only downside to this is that the Scanline Direction Multiplier settings don’t work but ScaleFX works. Even the blurs work.

MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV-NO-REFLECT__GDV-NTSC.slangp

There also seems to be improved performance after swapping out the regular crt-guest-advance.slang pass with the crt-guest-advance-ntsc-pass2.slang shader.

Another question that came to mind is how important is the ability to run ScaleFX or use the Scanline Direction Multiplier for users of the NTSC presets who might be primarily using them for their NTSC Filtering, Blending, Scaling and Artifacting abilities which somewhat negates the need for the use of those aforementioned forms of upscaling/resampling?

I also remember you saying that one reason why you attempted to integrate the two Shaders was because of some similarities between the two as well as for ease of maintenance so I’m not ignorant of that.

I’m hoping that we (users) might be able to get an updated version which replaces the crt-guest-advance.slang pass in the NTSC base presets with the crt-guest-advance-ntsc-pass2.slang until better could be done.

It’s already like this in the Smooth-Advance__GDV-NTSC and the No-Reflect__GDV-NTSC presets.

Is it possible to crop out, or eliminate the center black line in a two-screen game like Warrior Blade or X-Men (6p)… or is that beyond what the shaders can do?

1 Like