Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I think this is controlled by the mask choice in @guest.r’s guest advanced parameters nearer the bottom of the list. The mask offset might affect this as well.

1 Like

I don’t know, there are masks that seem relevant like 6, but it’s only an overlay it doesn’t impact the display itself :thinking:

Heya @HyperspaceMadness! What about this Finnish witches underworld based on physically simulated pixels?

Isn’t Noita P I X E L I C I O U S?

4 Likes

Something like a magenta-green mask would be a sub-pixel mask, as the magenta pixel lights up only blue and red subpixels

Yeah that looks really cool! :star_struck:

1 Like

It looks like @RetroGames4K last post has what I’m speaking of actually. How did you manage to enable this kind of subpixel emulation please?

2 Likes

I’m going to make a guess that you are actually talking about deconvergence, which is the blue red and green separating from the each other like is seen below on the white text bubble, where the top edge is more green, the bottom edge is more red, and the left edge is more blue.

You can turn this on with the Use Deconvergence parameter, you can find this near the bottom of the parameter list, you can quickly go there by going to the beginning of the parameter list and pressing UP.

3 Likes

Hm no sorry. But I’ve managed to find a picture that explains it, I hope. Here, notice how the green subpixels are completely black in areas where it’s not needed. That’s what I’m trying to achieve, is this even possible?

1 Like

If you use a mask which has red, green and blue, then increase the mask strength as high as possible, and turn off any bloom or glow then you should get this.

If you are looking for 100% mask and no blooming/glowing, then you might try the Megatron presets, as the Megatron crt shader is set up this way. This also means that it tends to require a brighter display to be bright enough, since there ends up being so many non lit elements.

2 Likes

Ah you’re right, with bloom turned off it’s very close to black where it’s supposed to be, the issue I was having on top of that was using mask size on auto. For some reason it’s not correctly aligned and I need to use 1 (which is 2K, although my display is 4K so I’m not sure what’s going on). Thanks!

For those who weren’t quite sure if HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader runs on Steam Deck:

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness, all of the DREZ presets I tested were blurry. I don’t know if it’s on my end or not.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s just you. Try turning off the [—G-SHARP RESAMPLER—] G-SHARP On = 0 and see if that helps.

1 Like

Yeah that fixed it. Thanks Cyber.

I don’t use the DREZ presets generally. I just noticed it when I was trying to do the Plain variation.

Edit:

I turned it back on and changed Gaussian Blur Sigma to 0.50.

3 Likes

Are you using increased internal resolution? It will not look right if you don’t.

2 Likes

The DREZ presets are meant to be used with a higher core resolution, or upscaling, E.G. The core outputs 1080p, and the DREZ preset downscales it to 480p.

It’s expected that you would just get blurring with a 224p image coming out of the core.

3 Likes

I didn’t use any upscaling. I just find it odd that there wasn’t blurring when I used them before. I will stick to the non-DREZ presets since I always use native resolutions.

3 Likes

L’abbaye des morts… :smile:

3 Likes

I can second this. In all previous versions of using the DREZ presets I have never changed the internal resolution of any of my cores and the image always looked stellar. It was only with this most recent version of the Mega Bezel Shader that I encountered the blurriness. It is so good to see such knowledgeable people here who can explain what adjustments can - and should - be made to get the correct result.

3 Likes

Looking into the Mega Bezel files, I found that it was changed at v1.9.0 when Hyperspace added DREZ G-Sharp Resampler.

Another way to get rid of the blur is to set Filter Range to 1.00

2 Likes