Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Don’t want to overspam this, so, thanks for your words and for your work! (i use the shaders regularly when i’m not using real hardware).

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

5 Likes

Right now this is correct, I don’t think this is possible. If there is interest I can add this in the future for the lcd presets.

3 Likes

Understood.
This is more of an opinion, not more of a request. Because it is a WonderSwan. And if you add it, I would be happy if you could add it not only to LCD presets but also to presets like POTATO-SUPER-XBR. Because I play LCD games on a CRT.

2 Likes

I didn’t understand well even after reading the README carefully, so I will ask again.

The NEC PC-6001/8001/8801/9801 is 640×400 and the aspect ratio is 8:5 (16:10), but the dedicated CRT is generally 4:3, and the top and bottom are black at 4:3. The obi was the standard. This is exactly what it feels like.

Is this possible with rib retrocore like QUASI88, Neko Project II kai?

3 Likes

Yes, what you need to do is to adjust the overscan parameters in the Mega Bezel to reveal empty parts of the tube

3 Likes

Is it a parameter here?

3 Likes

Yup, that’s what you want to adjust :slight_smile:

1 Like

Understood. thank you.
It seems that NEC PC games or MS-DOS games can be done that way.

I think it is impossible for NEC PC-98 to behave like Windows 3.1 and 95. A compromise is to use a PAR aspect ratio and a non-bezel version like POTATO. And it seemed to me that the only way to resolve the contradiction was to cut the curve.

It’s a CanBe model, but it looks like this.
Windows3.1

Windows95

This is a video that reproduces this in RA with the above Mega Bezel settings.
Windows3.1

Windows95

So you can use a bezel version with PAR (or at least you are supposed to be able to) you just need to set the tube aspect in the tube diffuse area to explicit, so set HSM_TUBE_DIFFUSE_FORCE_ASPECT to 2 which is explicit mode, and the default explicit value is already set to 1.33

I think these properties probably need to be relocated to be nearer scaling, aspect ratio, or overscan

2 Likes

I would check HSM_TUBE_DIFFUSE_FORCE_ASPECT.

2 Likes

OK. I figured it out.

This is an example of turning on “Snap to Closest Integer Scale” in the screenshot to align the width. The width is now the same scale.

And this example does not seem to contradict the upper and lower curves at 640x400 even with curves enabled.

Big thanks to @HyperspaceMadness for help.

After that, I will enjoy porting @Duimon NEC PC-9801 presets (cutting processing for POTATO version) and porting @Cyber and @sonkun parameters. :smiley:

4 Likes

Suppose I want to use this shader to emulate a GBA LCD screen, what would I need to change to make a 240x160 grid? Is it possible?

1 Like

You will want to try the LCD-GRID presets in the Base_CRT_Presets

2 Likes

Woa, I went with MBZ__2__ADV-GLASS__LCD-GRID and the grid was immediately 240x160, what kind of sorcery is this? :smiley: Is the resolution handled automatically?

1 Like

Also, I now need to make it work with the vba_color and response_time shaders, should I add them before? RA crashes when I try to add a pass, so I’ll try to edit it manually. Or maybe there are options to do that with Mega Bezel and I’m not seeing them.

1 Like

It has been said before that adding passes to the Mega Bezel won’t work as expected. It is not simple enough for append or prepend.

Even @HyperspaceMadness can’t simply add passes randomly. He has to do surgery on most things to get them to work correctly.

The Potato presets have 10 passes, the SMOOTH-ADV has 48, and all sorts of wizardry is applied in the mix.

That being said, I think grade is available in the LCD-GRID so you can do color adjustment there, and the response time could be added I suppose, if there is enough interest. There have been similar requests.

I don’t speak for HSM though so he will have to weigh in.

I’ve managed to make it work by having response-time as shader0 and renumbering everything after that from the LCD grid preset. But yeah it would be awesome to integrate it directly into LCD grid. Now however, I think there’s a problem with the BGR option for LCD grid?

Here’s a close-up of the preset with BGR off (so, RGB substructure)

As expected. But with BGR now…

It’s RBG and not BGR?

1 Like

That could simply be a side effect of you inserting a pass in the beginning. As I said, the Mega Bezel is not that simple. Try the BGR on a non-modified preset and see if the results are the same.

BTW. Append and prepend renumber the passes for you, that is their function. (If you are toying with preset combinations outside of the Mega Bezel.)

Sorry that wasn’t clear. This is happening with the default preset.

1 Like

Yeah that does not look right… I did not write the LCD-GRID shader, just integrated it into the Mega Bezel.

Can you test the lcd grid preset in the handhelds folder in the shaders_slang folder to see if it does the same thing?

Also a word about LCD-GRID, it runs best when you turn on integer scale in the Mega Bezel parameters

Yeah I will probably add a lcd response pass into the chain, as now it’s been requested at least twice, and I think it’s a probably an inexpensive effect.

This is also very true that I generally need to be careful what gets added to the Mega Bezel so performance is kept under control and it does not turn into an unmanageable behemoth in terms of complexity :rofl:

1 Like