Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Do you have any plans to include grade in your shader? @HyperspaceMadness

2 Likes

It might be possible to add it to one of the screen scale presets (the ones without the bezel), but not the Mega Bezel ones because the Mega Bezel maxes out the number of parameters available.

There would be a way to integrate it without exposing the parameters and having the parameters values predefined, but this would make it harder to use.

2 Likes

Here are some snapshots from an experiment with Nintendo DS and Blending the screens together, I’m also going to try a reflection type treatment between the screens to see how that works.

5 Likes

I’ve always been a fan the DS emulations side-by-side screen option. You get better use of widescreen real estate.

In any case… I like what you’re doing! Never thought we’d see any dual screen systems here.

This is what screen rotation is for, friend :slight_smile:

Any chance of adding a screen sheen/scratch effect parameter? I know that there are a few tube parameters that add a bit of glow/reflection on the screen, but I’m talking about screen surface scratches/scuffs. In my experience this can make the difference between it looking like an effect and an actual screen. I usually apply this via overlays, so I’m not sure if it would be possible to do it via a bezel like this?

1 Like

It’s definitely do-able as the glass reflection thing is just an image being loaded into the shader.

We just need a good image, and for @HyperspaceMadness to want to include it, lol.

1 Like

You can do this with functionality already in the shader…

The tube glass image was designed for this exact purpose and is automatically scaled to the screen. Just replace HSM’s reflection image with your scratches image.

Also, the TopLayerImage has a “screen only” mask as one of the mask parameters. You can use an image of your choice and also a blending mode of your choice. (But you couldn’t also have a night mode TopLayerImage.)

Slang shaders (and others I suppose) have a limit on how many textures you can have. (Learned from one of my discussions with @HyperspaceMadness)

It’s possible that HSM could add scratches in code but that would limit everyone to just one “image” choice.

2 Likes

What they said :wink:

I think the best thing to do here since a scratch effect is best achieved with an image and the limitations on number of textures is to have a separate tube image with scratches and screen highlight included, then include this as a texture in the shader package which can be used if desired.

Below is also good option which would allow you to dial up the visibility of the scratches separate from the glass reflection:

Do you have an image of scratches that you really like that you have used in other overlays?

2 Likes

Yup this is a good point, I’m planning to support this too, probably the shader will check the aspect ratio and split in the middle of the longest axis, so it would split correctly in left/right and top/bottom layouts.

2 Likes

Just when I thought you were done pullng surprises out of your hat.:grin:

1 Like

Yes, I have tended to use the image I’ve pasted below. It’s good to use it with an alpha/transparency adjuster so that you can get the effect just right - I find 100% can be a little too much.

I actually used it with your shader as an overlay, but the corners don’t match exactly so it’s hard to get the sizing right. Perhaps the edges could do with a little smoothing too.

1 Like

Just a note if you want to use something like this as the top image in the Mega Bezel there are a number of different options for the masking, so you can set the mask to inside the tube area and you don’t need to worry about the corners of the tube as long as the image is big enough. There are also different blending options, e.g. normal, add and multiply.

Also, thanks for your image!

Do you have one with the scratches and no highlight?

1 Like

Sounds good regarding the options you mention - can I do that with the current bezel or would you need to update it? I’ve not programming knowledge unfort.

That is the only one like that which I have, but I can do some digging if you’re looking for something else? Or I could try and edit that one in PS to remove the highlight (I realise that it probably clashes with the tube effect you have in your bezel/shader).

1 Like

Yes you can do this with the current shader, if you want to swap out the tube glass image you just need to change the path in the preset.

You can also swap out the “top image” and adjust the top image opacity, top image mask mode and top image blend mode parameters.

Also don’t worry about removing the highlight I can probably work with the image you provided.

I think this is the image that @Orionsangel uses in his overlays. Maybe he has a good source image?

also…

2 Likes

HyperspaceMadness creation is the reason i signed into libretoforums, thanks a lot for the awesome work man and i havent seen your shader yet just scrolling reading and this page and watching it in YT. BTW im enjoying playing games now via retroarch and my 480i 27 inch wega tv, but i think this tv doesnt add enough scanlines at least to my eyes, anyone here know how to give a little boost to a crt image with retroarch shaders? Thanks to everybody!

2 Likes

That’s a really good question! I guess you could try fake scanlines or any crt shader without a mask. Using one with a mask would give you something crazy I think.

I’m only guessing because that is a question I have never heard before.

Hi @Digitech I’m wondering if you are not seeing as much scanlines on the wega because you are sending out the image from retroarch at full res 480p, which on 240p content (Arcade, snes, genesis) means that every other line is filled in by the image instead of left black. This is how the original systems worked (one line active, one line black in a 480p signal) and why they had such a pronounced scanline look. I’m not sure if there’s a shader which turns every other line off, but I think that might be what you need if you are wanting to use a shader to fix it. There are also hardware which handles the upscaling to the crt which could be an option too.

Thanks for the replys guys, actually im using a 1024x768 CRU custom resolution to send a 4:3 picture to my 480i crt tv with a portta hdmi to component converter, that device has limited resolutions that accepts so i think there may be the problem, ntw im a graphic designer and started to make some systems overlays that id like to share with to use them with your reflection shader, thanks a lot for your work

1 Like