Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Welcome!

Couple of things to keep in mind (depending on how familiar you are with the shader) the shader actually generates the entire bezel and crops the screen for you. This makes creating graphics much easier. This was one of the main things HSM wanted to do for artists when he began this.

So these are not traditional overlays, but background images.

I have a repo of graphics I’ve done that you can take a look at to see what layout seems to be ideal with the shader.

If you plan to do RA overlay versions also. I have a source repo for mine that contain a vector generated bezel among other things. They are open source so you are welcome to use anything that might help you along your journey.:grin:

I look forward to seeing your work!

Here’s another in progress update on the Nintendo DS Presets, the shader switches between splitting horizontally or vertically depending on if the screens are top/bottom or left/right

The Horizontal Layout is now working

There are different looks that can be chosen for the middle area:

Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That looks incredible! Can’t wait to try it out.

1 Like

I think it is looking great and your solution doesn’t require actually generating a center bezel, which I imagine would be almost impossible. :wink:

Will this also works for 3DS?

Awesome work Duimon, im pretty sure ill hang out here a lot lol, HSM very nice effect with the dual screens, i just made an overlay for the super nes but i havent even installed the reflection shader lol, i already included the screen because is my actual sony tv, its ready to use with RA but what do i have to do to make it work with the reflection shader

2 Likes

The last one was for a 1920x1080p screen with 8:7 ratio, this is for a 4:3 ratio

2 Likes

Im seeing that the site converted the original pngs files to jpegs without transparencies, any tips where to host them if anyone want to use them or tweak them, sorry for the abuse of posts guys i feel like a child in a candy store here

3 Likes

Yes I think this should work for 3DS, but I haven’t tested on it. The way it works it just takes whatever image there is and splits it down the middle and then creates extra space between the two parts of the screen.

Edit: It works on 3ds with Citra

I’m going to try an experiment to see if we could get two bezels by trying to get the shader to see the each section as a separate space. We’ll see how that goes, because it would be really cool to have two bezels for a bunch of the games.

2 Likes

I was hoping you would be up for an adventure! If it works it sounds like the screens could be different sizes as well and take advantage of desmume’s big & small setting!

I’m wondering also if this would then work for games that have two screens in MAME like “SEGA System Multi 32” and “Nintendo Playchoice”.

1 Like

I think this should work if the emulator places the screen top and bottom.

Super Punchout!

Note: The layouts where one screen is much smaller than the other will actually be more difficult because from the image I can’t know where the small screen’s boundaries are.

3 Likes

Not important my friend, just wondering aloud. Dual screens in any fashion is more than I ever expected. :slightly_smiling_face:

edit: Will this be a parameter or a separate preset?

1 Like

It will be a separate preset, with 2 new parameters, it won’t be available in every preset because it would slow things down with the extra stuff it needs to do when sampling.

Unfortunately even though the parameters will be visible in the other presets they will do nothing. This is a tradeoff to makes some of the code simpler under the hood and not make a multiplicity of variant shader files (more than there already are). It will actually make it a bit easier to make additional presets with split screen doing it this way, e.g. glass preset. I’ll try to mark the parameters so it is clearer that they are only for split-screen presets.

It would be nice if the parameters could just always be active, but this would hurt performance on the other shaders not using these features which would really suck. I’ve found anything which gets added to the sampling code has a performance impact. And if you put ifs in the sampling code, this is SUPER bad for performance.

Note: Citra seems to do the upside down thing with the viewport frame buffer.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to try it on my yoga c940 which is 15.6 inch convertible tablet with pen support. It makes a wonderfully ridiculously over powered ds emulator.

2 Likes

Setting “[Aspect] Type” to auto doesn’t seem to affect gameboy/gameboy color. It keeps the 1.33 ratio.

1 Like

Pretty awesome, I would totally use that image! 4K version? :smiley:

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll put in something to catch this.

Hello! I noticed that with the latest version I see some garbage pixels with guest-sm:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out.

This seems to happen as a side-effect glitch in the shader pipeline when certain combinations of settings are used in the preset like mip-mapping. But it’s really a sort of processing glitch rather than something the shader is doing wrong.

I’ll see what I can play with to see if I can get rid of it.

3 Likes

Some progress on the multiple Bezel feature:

Edit: Got the bugs out and now need to tune performance a bit

Anyone who wants to play with it in it’s pre release state it’s updated on my github (Link in the first post)

6 Likes

That’s awesome!

I think it’s one of coolest things you’ve done yet.

1 Like