Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

PERFECT!!!

Thanks, this will help me to see if the auto aspect can be improved :grinning:

6 Likes

Hmm, I tried setting the [ ASPECT ] Type to explicit too, but the screen resizing issue still occurs on my machine.

1 Like

Hi! check if the Video->Settings->Scaling->IntegerScale is OFF and Video->Settings->Scaling-> Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9 (if your screen is 16:9). Check that you don’t have a configuration file overwriting your configuration for that game (https://docs.libretro.com/guides/overrides/)

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer, I found the solution : I had [SCALING] Int Scale Mode set to 1 in the shader preset options, turning it off fixed it !

3 Likes

Since this has come up a few times I’m going to put something into the troubleshooting section of the readme, here’s what I’ve got:

• If the Screen is changing size unexpectedly
    • If the screen changes size when loading a game or switching between different parts of the game e.g. gameplay vs cinematic, this is because of the interaction between the different resolutions the core is outputting on different screens and the shader’s integer scale or automatic aspect ratio settings.
    • To fix
      • Make sure Integer Scale is OFF in the RetroArch Video Settings
      • If BOTH the HEIGHT and WIDTH of the screen size are changing size
        • Set the Integer scale mode to OFF (0)
      • If ONLY the WIDTH of the screen is changing size (the HEIGHT stays constant)
        • Set the Aspect Ratio Type to Explicit (1) This will use the explicit aspect ratio number instead of guessing
8 Likes

The problem is, you know it @HyperspaceMadness, if I turn off Integer Scaling in the shader parameters with Crt-Royale, I get uneven weird green scanlines, as in this screenshot I just took from FF9 :

I don’t know if you can see them well on a still image, but when the screen is moving upward on downward, it’s REALLY noticeable and ugly… So I’ll stick with Int Scaling ON for the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So how do you get rid of the black bars that show up after a cutscene? They show up on Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island after the very first custscene on the top and bottom ONLY? You’ve told us how to if BOTH and if ONLY width.

1 Like

Hi, so this issue of wanting to crop off parts of the edge of the screen is a different issue than the aspect ratio and scaling issue.

To remove the black bars you should use the cropping parameters which will crop from the edge so the black parts can be cropped off.

There is a possible feature that I could do at some point to automatically find the black areas at the edges of the image.

If anyone is interested in having this feature please like this post so I can get an idea of how much interest there might be in this.

2 Likes

When I say black bars, I just mean the image gets smaller so there is black space on the top and bottom from the bezel on yoshis world, probably other games too, just know it’s this game, after the very first cutscene.

Imgur

2 Likes

Yes I understand, this black area is in the image that the core is outputting, so to get rid of it we need to crop this image so the image left over which has content in it will stretch to the full screen.

Look for the cropping parameters in the shader, if you increase crop top and crop bottom the black bars will go away.

3 Likes

So that will have to be done for every game that it does that on after the cutscene? If you do it before the cutscene, wont it be missing some of that image? I’ll have to try it when I get home.

3 Likes

That’s right it will crop the cutscene as well. That’s why a possible automatic option to try to crop out the black areas might be interesting.

I think one good question about the N64 is what area of the screen was visible on a consumer television, would black bars appear? Or were they always offscreen.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the reason the RA developers included crop overscan in the first place. I think if the image needs cropping, the parts of the cutscene lost were never meant to be seen. Either that or the game developers intended black bars.

Unless the aspect ratio actually changes between the cutscene and the game?

3 Likes

Yes I think this is correct

1 Like

Well, it’s normal during the intro menu, then goes to the black bars during the cutscene and stays like that during the game, I would understand or not mind if it just went to the black bars only during the cutscene but it stays like that for the rest of the game.

2 Likes

Hi guys, I’m in the process of building a new arcade cabinet around Retroarch (with powerful PC and graphic card) and I absolutely want to use the awesome HSM Reflection Shader.

I doubt between a 16:9 or 16:10 monitor. I’d love a 16:10 (closer to 4:3, more vertical space…) but I’d like to be sure that HSM Reflection Shader works on 16:10 screens.

As far as I see, HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader seems fully proportion agnostic (it generates the reflection and borders dynamically based on parameters, not using harcdoded graphic bezels designed for a specific ratio). Am I right? Has anyone tried Reflection Shader on a 16:10 monitor?

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi there, yes the mega bezel is proportion agnostic, when using it you set your Retroarch aspect ratio to whatever the monitor is.

What will happen with a 16x10 monitor is that if you use one of the standard graphics from Duimon lets say which are 16x10 some of the graphic should be sliced off on the edges but otherwise will be perfect. You will have the option to have the images squash to the 16x10, but this may not be the best graphic result. If you make your own graphics at 16x10 this will work perfectly as well.

One thing you might want to consider if you love arcade games and you haven’t seen it before is a vertical cabinet, it’s basically a 40"-50" 4K screen turned sideways which shows the image of a full cabinet from the control panel upward. This allows you to do the arcade thing but also get a good size for vertically oriented games as well as horizontal. There’s a group of artists who have a thread started by @ArsInvictus where they are doing a bunch of super high quality arcade graphics for this format.

@Thoggo has also put together an awesome site to distribute graphics and show off the format.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Last question: I understand that the Reflection Shader does not need any graphic overlay to look like this:

On the previous image the full monitor bezel (the inner part where the reflections are drawn + the outer part) are generated by the shader (whatever the resolution is, whatever the aspect ratio is). This is why we can adjustthe border width using slangp parameters. Am I right?

Vertical cabinets look amazing, but I think I still prefer the more classic view of an old school 4:3 CRT (16:10 + your shader…)

Cheers!

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

That’s right, the bezel (part where the reflection is drawn) and the frame (part just outside the bezel) is automatically generated by the shader and will scale up and down with the screen and screen aspect ratio (and can be adjusted so it’s as wide or thin as you like). The only thing in this image which uses a texture is the carbon fiber texture in the background, but that’s inside the shader there is no Retroarch overlay.

Yeah if that’s the case then 16x10 will work great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually I’m considering a servo mechanism to auto-rotate the 16:10 monitor from horizontal to vertical… I’d need to figure out some way to auto-change the frontend from H to V (like an iPad), but that’s another story ))

Thanks for your awesome work, @HyperspaceMadness!

Toni

2 Likes