NEDI filter

I’ve successfully managed to port NEDI upscaler filter to Retroarch shader specs. It was based on the shader discussion from this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170727

It’s already uploaded to common-shaders. To run you need to load the preset available, as this algorithm only works in multipass.

Here are more shots: http://imgur.com/a/YqL8X

1 Like

Cool. Does it have any benefits from ReverseAA? I’ll test this as soon as I use retroarch. Good job.

Why “from reverseAA”? They’re two totally different filters.

NEDI is an algorithm from 2001. See this paper --> http://www.csee.wvu.edu/~xinl/papers/ICIP2000a.pdf

Ok. This shader looks good on really digitalized games, including mortal combat. They look better than nnedi16 and somewhat looks close to nnedi32 except using nedi+SuperRes. Also, nedi gives a very good performance on low end cards. Works very well on gt 430 from 480p 60fps source.

1 Like

Are these nnedi16 and 32 retroarch shaders too? Where did you get them?

Actually I compared it from media players. Only nedi is the shader. The nnedi I tested was from opencl. I don’t know if the one from mpdn is a shader version of nnedi because I never used it.

OK. Reducind the anti-ringing param, more details come up:

1 Like

That’s a big improvement, I think. Those Mario Kart 64 shots and the F-Zero title screen are stunning :open_mouth:

1 Like

Added the last improvements to common-shaders.

1 Like

I registered for the first time just to say this.

This is by far my favorite shader. I ran across it on accident while going through all of the Shader presets that exist. I converted from CRT Easymode to this shader which is quite a drastic change to say the least. So far it replaced my shader for every system that I can apply it on. It even alleviated my desire to upscale PS1 games using EPSXE or PSX-R in comparison to using Mednafes. Now I have great compatibility and amazing graphics. In comparison to other shaders, it doesn’t take away details from the game (maybe minor details), which is why I have been a CRT shader fan up until now.

Just for some reason shaders don’t seem to have an effect on PPSSPP or Mupen. Once I get it to work, I’m sure I’ll be using it there as well.

Fantastic work on porting this from the doom9 forums. This has made my week. Thank you.

1 Like

Have you tried setting them to native resolution (e.g., 320x240 for mupen)?

[QUOTE=saftle;26179]I registered for the first time just to say this.

This is by far my favorite shader. I ran across it on accident while going through all of the Shader presets that exist. I converted from CRT Easymode to this shader which is quite a drastic change to say the least. So far it replaced my shader for every system that I can apply it on. It even alleviated my desire to upscale PS1 games using EPSXE or PSX-R in comparison to using Mednafes. Now I have great compatibility and amazing graphics. In comparison to other shaders, it doesn’t take away details from the game (maybe minor details), which is why I have been a CRT shader fan up until now.

Just for some reason shaders don’t seem to have an effect on PPSSPP or Mupen. Once I get it to work, I’m sure I’ll be using it there as well.

Fantastic work on porting this from the doom9 forums. This has made my week. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome!

Hunterk is right, the only reason I see that you can’t get it working on PPSSPP or Mupen64 is if you aren’t using internal resolution equal to system native res (320x240 in Mupen64 and 480x272 in PPSSPP). Change that in core options (reset after it) and see if filtering is ok.

By the way, have you tried Super-xBR presets? I think it’s better than NEDI on general, because it produces even less artifacts and provides a similar filtering.

Awesome thanks for the advice. I’ll try that out and keep you posted.

I had tried them, but didn’t go through all of the presets. Now that I had, I see what you mean. I made a head-to-head video comparing my favorite Super-xBR preset with NEDI, and I have to say I still like NEDI slightly better even with the artifacting. Not sure why exactly. I think it’s because certain colors pop more.

I hope you guys like the video. Definitely watch the video in 1080p. I almost wish that both videos were 1080p separately in order to see the difference better, since even in 1080p it’s hard to tell.

Edit: After watching my video a few times, I am now using Super-xBR 2p instead. The artifacting was a lot more apparent the more I compared the two. Thanks for the recommendation.

Very good video! It only shows the filter qualities in 1080p, indeed.

I like even more the Super-xBR-3p instead 2p, as it reduce artifacts even more, though slightly softer.

Probably you like the NEDI signature more, though it seems to be a bit strong on directional artifacts.

Added a third pass to NEDI shaders for maximum smoothness! (Repo is already updated.)

It provides the same benefits gained by using the third pass in super-xbr.

I can’t find NEDI in retroarch, where is it in the shaders settings?

They’re available in slang and Cg formats but not in GLSL (yet). I’ll try to convert them to GLSL soon.

1 Like

I just pushed up a GLSL version.

1 Like

Just wanted to show what I have made with a combination of nedi, nnedi3 and biliteral filtering for Retroarch. It’s as usual a preset for pre- rendered ps1 games. I call it “waifu2x- LookAlike” =)

It’s running in 4k stretched. Looks better unstretched of course.

1 Like

Looks good, indeed. Though it appear a bit posterized in spots where it should appear like random noise (terrain, etc).