New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Much appreciated @guest.r! This is what I had in mind ever since I had made my original comparison comparing the bleeding and reduced black levels in your NTSC preset vs the Blargg Filter Presets.

Fantastic work! The best keeps getting better!

6 Likes

Thanks both for very positive feedback. :smiley: I also think quite nice changes were made compared with the current repository version, and it should be updated quite soon. I’m testing different versions atm. and so far it looks good. Maybe some details needs to be ironed out first, but looks OK in general.

4 Likes

No problem at all. I only tested that Chroma scaling setting though didn’t touch the “fastest” shader or try any of the other settings. But for chroma scaling it’s pretty much perfect now, I see no reason to use any other “ntsc” shader besides yours at this point.

No problem at all. Anything to further perfect it is only a cherry on top so please take your time to iron any kinks out that you may see.

4 Likes

Nice!

Hey @HyperspaceMadness, do you intend to release any new Mega Bezel updates with these improvements? :hugs:

5 Likes

Wow, chroma scaling is fantastic! This may be the NTSC shader update I’ve been waiting for my whole life!

:exploding_head:

7 Likes

Looks flawless to my untrained eyes! Lol

Also you can use the NTSC portion with any other shader now thanks to this:

Or this:

@hunterk

Has any progress been made on this awesome idea?

6 Likes

I’m putting it through the 240p torture tests right now and it outperforms the pre-chroma scaling version in almost every way. I can raise the brightness by a lot while still keeping everything sharp, and I can achieve better dynamic range. It’s really damn impressive.

4 Likes

Don’t forget that anti ringing setting at max values too, that looks to have also been improved by a lot since it was first introduced as well. I predict all shader tweakers will be releasing a sexy ntsc preset soon.

Also since you’ve been gone guest introduced another game changing setting called “clip saturated color beams”, be sure to play around with that, it’ll have all your “reds” looking just right.

3 Likes

It’s great to log in after a long hiatus and see all the amazing progress that’s been made, and I’m also glad to see our dedicated shader pack authors still at work. Keeping the dream alive.

I’ll check out the clip saturated beams setting, sounds cool.

4 Likes

Good to see you back as well man. Yeah guest.r and us guys are still keeping it going, even our guy Retro Crisis has blown up now and pretty much become the “go to” guy for RetroArch shader reviews on YouTube. You got a lot to catch up on so we’ll be looking forward to see what you cook up in the lab.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m working on doing an update on this now should be out in the next week

10 Likes

I have it in my local fork (https://github.com/hunterk/slang-shaders) but haven’t pushed it up to the main repo yet.

2 Likes

I tested the shader a bit, and it’s great some challenges have been addressed. 4k aperture curved mask looks really nice.

2 Likes

I have made performance comparisons with a 7/2022 release version vs. the latest. I guess these are good results. :grin:

Test image 1 (small, default preset):

• Standard: old 1047 fps - new 1095 fps
  • NTSC: old 1210 fps - new 1267 fps
  • Fast: old 1760 fps - new 1870 fps
  • Fastest: old 2200 fps - new 2580 fps (both versions not in performance mode)

There are new features which might reduce performance if used, but I don’t see it as a bad thing. :smiley:

Test image 2 (retro-sized, default preset):

• Standard: old 827 fps - new 871 fps
11 Likes

New Release Version (2023-11-22-r1):

Notable changes:

• Deblur option added to the NTSC version.
  • Custom Fast sharpen parameter name changes (to label they belong to the Fast sharpen shader).
  • NTSC Blend Mode option removed (alternate mode was derelict by all means).

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/08JCFRyY#2SLYlAfeGY4CvBntutQKiY3_VdRbeb07hVo-7TVtQLU

11 Likes

So this is the update right here that I need for my testing, damn I’m not home to try it out right now. Soon as I get home I’m getting straight to it and will post my results asap lol. Thank you for this as always.

2 Likes

Some visuals on the new feature. I wanted it to be usable out-of-the-box, without much tweaking. It’s compatible with other features, so no worries. It can do some neat stuff with fonts, while still resolving dithering (which adaptive sharpening cannot).

Examples:

Standard ntsc (s-video):

Deblur on:

Deblur on:

10 Likes

Those deblur shots look amazing though! This looks like a great excuse to update all of my NTSC Presets and switch it on!

It’s giving off a sort of reverse bilinear filtering vibe!

Great work in besting the best as if you hadn’t done so already time and time again.

@Nesguy, @sonkun et al are probably gonna have a field day with this!

4 Likes

I hope it can contribute to your’s, @Nesguy’s, @sonkun’s and other tweakers presets in a constructive way, like you mentioned it.

6 Likes

I’m literally on my way now RUSHING to get into the lab lol

4 Likes