New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

thanks, it’s better now but still not same as it was before, even with 0.20

1 Like

For now, you can use older ntsc versions + latest crt shader files. I’ll see what i can do about this situation in the next release.

3 Likes

Next release huh? I started working on another update preset pack about 2 days ago putting the finishing touches on it. Maybe I should hold off until you drop your next bomb on us.

1 Like

It’s not a big deal, just some small fixes. Probably for the official repository also.

1 Like

Ah ok. I’ll see how things play out then.

1 Like

New updated CRT-Guest shaders for ReShade!

Some shots -

11 Likes

Very nice. :star_struck: It’s now really up-to-date and i’m also very glad to read that some issues have been resolved.

6 Likes

Since 2 weeks I’m in the process of re-making all my presets (I’m almost done!) because I re-adjusted the brightness of my monitor (lowered to 80%) and so I decide to remake my presets anew.

While doing it I was struggling with colors and was keep adjusting things back and forth also using grade.slangp. it was very difficult: fixing something was deteriorating something else, then go back to square one and try again…

Then, few days ago, I think I found the solution: switching from mask 6 to mask 9. Now everything feels right color-wise! :partying_face:

Then again, I don’t know if this is due to my monitor (also note that I’m on a 1080p panel with RGB subpixels) or some other settings, anyway here an example that is easy to see (I think!):

Here’s the test, Castlevania SOTN: guest’s advance with mask @100%, no scanlines, glow 0, and some extra post brightness, the rest of the settings are default.

Left: mask 6

Middle: mask 9

Right: no shader.

What do you think? Am I seeing things wrong? is the greenish tint visible for you with mask 6? is it normal?

Also noting that changing mask 9 from RGB to BGR a great green tint appear, while changing RGB to BGR in mask 6 made little difference.

Opinions?

1 Like

Weird, an rgb mask should be neutral, and usually GM mask gives trouble.
You could make a shot of your monitor to understand what’s going on, maybe some sharpness setting is destroying the mask?

So, you do not see the green tint in the screen capture?

In this screenshots I didn’t touch sharpness, everything is default other then mask, post brightness and disabled scanlines.

EDIT: here’s a quick shot of my monitor the image is a mess but the tint is visible I think.

1 Like

@kokoko3k if you can try with SOTN (usa), beetle core (software one), native res, integer scaling ON.

shader in the main shaders folder:

#reference "shaders_slang/crt/crt-guest-advanced.slangp"
glow = "0.000000"
no_scanlines = "0.050000"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "1.000000"
post_br = "1.100000"

I don’t see any green tint from my phone in the first images, but I see in the others.

What i meat was to make a closeup shot of the LCDs so that you can maybe understand what the problem is.

And by sharpness i meant some sharpness control on the monitor itself :slight_smile:

Sorry, I cannot try the shader itself right now, but again, the shots seems fine.

I think it it a misalignment issue.

I know exactly what you mean by the “greenish tint”, I been struggling with that while using grade as well. You can try changing the “crt-hue” setting in grade to the negative values to see of that helps, I changed mines to -3. Also try playing with the “white-red-tint” and “white-green-tint” in grade as well, maybe even toggle the ntsc setting to 1.00 as well towards the bottom. Those are all settings I use in my presets plus a few others Ive been suggested to use by Dogway himself. Grade is a lovely shader but it definitely benefits from being tweaked.

Oh and switch back over to mask 6, mask 6, 10 and 12 is king lol.

hi @sonkun! do you see the green tint as well?

I did try color correcting a lot, using grade, but this never ended up well as a general all around solution.

I did some more checking and I have to say that this seems like a problem specifically with PS1, as in other systems difference from 6 to 9 are less noticeble and more in line with the green-magenta “tone”, for example, in super mario world, with my current presets, there is no difference in using 6 or 9: no tint, all good.

PS1 on the other hand shows an heavy green tint with mask 6. here’s another example with the same “test” shader I posted above:

This happens with beetle and also with rearmed, so I don’t think this is a core problem (unless they share the same code).

It may have something to do with the ps1’s resolution?

1 Like

I wish I was home so that I could actually test out your preset. I’m just going off the fact that you said you have grade in the mix. From my experience I believe it’s all in the grade shader. When using guest by itself I don’t see any greenish anything, in fact the hue seems to be going more towards the “pinkish” side which is why I ended up tweaking the crt hue in grade to try and match that. I doubt it’s a core related issue though. Try playing with some of those settings I suggested and see if the green tint goes away for you. I think I got rid of that greenish tint in my presets.

I do use grade in my presets but the shots I’m posting are made just using guest’s advance

#reference "shaders_slang/crt/crt-guest-advanced.slangp"
glow = "0.000000"
no_scanlines = "0.050000"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "1.000000"
post_br = "1.100000"

as you can see this is mostly default other then the mask,no scanlines and zero glow.

1 Like

Ahh. Hmm I dunno then, I only experienced that “tint” issue when I added in grade, then again that could also be from the crazy combination of settings I be testing out.

I’ll take a look at your settings later and see if I experience the same thing as you.

2 Likes

SOLVED! :partying_face:

So, today I actually did what I had to do before: try things on my laptop. Results? no tint! So as @kokoko3k said, something was indeed wrong with my monitor, I tried changing some modes but in the end the “culprit” was an option called “Vivid Pixel”. It was set at 25/100 and turning that off solved the problem! why would anybody want an option that “distort” colors I really do not understand. but I am very happy to have solved this! Mask 6 is neutral again! :partying_face:

Wierd thing is that this was very noticeable in grey-ish area in ps1 but in other system’s grey this wasn’t the case… :thinking:

Who knows what this “vivid pixel” did.

Anyway, case solved and sorry to bother all of you for something so stupid! :sob:

3 Likes

That’s why i asked about a closeup of the lcd. It is super useful to spot misalignments between the content and the screen.

From gut feeling, vivid pixel could be another way to call sharpness :wink:

3 Likes

sorry again for the quality of the shot, but I think this thing may be pushing the greens in some ways, there are some sharpness options in the menu, but this Vivid Pixel I think may do something else.

Wierd enough, if I push it to 50 or 100 the green tint is less present and the general “saturation” increase…maybe at 25 just push some hues values… who knows!

The wall in this scene is kind of grey but for sure has a big “green” component and vivid at 25 pushes it even more, I think!

ps: stavo uscendo matto! grazie per l’aiuto! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes