New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

That screenshot looks great @guest.r.

EDIT: This post previously asked why magic glow went up to 2, then I lurked moar.

1 Like

What about PCE/TurboGrafx-16/SuperGrafx and Sega MegaDrive/Genesis hires modes.

Can these new features benefit games on those systems? I remember showing some examples of some challenging scenarios being created on the Turbo where hi-res text was appearing blurry while other aspects of some games looked pretty sharp. Does this fix those instances and can more testing be done on the Turbo?

Just out of curiosity were you able to integrate or take any inspiration from @Azurfel’s contributions here?

3 Likes

Works where ever there are two default horizontal resolutions, one about 200-400px wide, the other the double.

The idea is to optimize the shader for lower resolutions, turn the paramerer “on” and don’t really care or notice when resolution switches to hi-res.

If there is also a change in vertical resolution, then the “Internal Y-res” option can be set to 1.0 under interlacing options to always get the scanline mode.

Sure, Hi-Res Auto Mode was implemented (quite differently though, needs to be done on many levels), and with a switch. Dunno about the coloring part, as it’s already covered by grade.

3 Likes

Works where ever there are two default horizontal resolutions, one about 200-400px wide, the other the double.

Saturn games that use 352 instead of 320 horizontal resolution then won’t work, right? Still have to individually set the aspect ratio in shader params and save the overrides I assume.

3 Likes

352 x-res won’t trigger the hi-res mode. But you shouldn’t worry about this situation. Some games actually use the exact horizontal resolution doubling and the feature is designed to compensate when this is happening.

Still have to individually set the aspect ratio in shader params and save the overrides I assume.

It’s really not something to worry about. Shader filtering takes care of such situations quite efficiently. Aspect ratio is best set to “core provided” or fixed 4:3…

8 Likes

New Release Version (2024-05-18-r1):

Notable changes:

• Various optimizations and small code cleanups.
  • Improved filtering with NTSC and HD versions.
  • Corner function overhaul.
  • Included grade contrast black screen fix (@sonkun).

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/R4xzAKJK#AHvrWKwpBxly2pZxv8d-3egXkqqNEQtnu3_9-eXf1-o

22 Likes

Thanks for the update!

2 Likes

Out of all the updates I missed this might be the most important one, wow you even fixed the black screen issue in grade? That’s amazing man. I would see and get comments from Linux users having that issue left and right not knowing what to do to fix it now that’s been rectified. Appreciate it for sure.

5 Likes

Heey! @sonkun! Glad to see you back and also with nice updates!

The root of the issue (at least for me) of the grade black screen was the

cont = pow(cont - 1., 3.); (line 459 in regular grade)

line of code where contrast is a negative value. It’s easy to change to a multiplicative version. Some compilers are more tolerant or smarter as the others, so this really depends.

I also hope @Dogway makes a use of it, since it’s really not a biggie.

7 Likes

Thank you @guest.r definitely glad to be back, yeah I’m experimenting with a slightly different look coming up. One of the biggest changes is lowering glow, or at least the glow distribution. I was so into “brightening things up” meanwhile all the extra added glow was making everything to bright so I decided to go a different direction in that area, I think it looks a bit better dialed in, still bright as hell in it’s own way but that’s a sonkun staple I guess lol.

So it was a simple matter huh. @Dogway how you missed this lol. In anycase that will help all Linux users going forward since they were the main ones having that issue. I still gotta go up and read some of the notes from your other last couple updates, looks like some things got added. The last one I remembered was when you redid the positive halation setting which I used just a little of along with just a little mask bloom combined for my sample pack I just posted.

5 Likes

@guest.r It’s been a while we don’t get an official release on Retroarch. Feels like it would make sense to upload the latest version to Retroarch’s shader repo. Any thoughts on this? Tks for your amazing work!

5 Likes

Hey! Yeah, I think it’s a good idea. Everything seems to be fine with the latest version. I left it some time for possible feedback about bugs etc., but it seems ok.

@hunterk usually helps me with the update. So I would politely ask him again for bringing the latest version to the repository. Thanks in advance. :smiley:

8 Likes

Is there anyway we can get the Mask Stagger Back?

I’m not sure if I can get my exact -4.50 Shadow Mask using Mask 6, Size 3 at 4K using the current simplified parameters?

This is what I use for my CyberLab Neo-GX Shadow Mask presets.

Can you assist if it is actually possible?

2 Likes

Just set the value to 0.5. Or, since the fractional part of 4.5 is 0.5, the preset is compatible with the newest version regarding “shadow masking”. I guess i won’t change things back to custom stagger values, since there were really no known phosphor layouts of this “hybrid” aperture&shadowmask sort.

2 Likes

Can you check out this PR and make sure it looks good to you?

5 Likes

Thanks @hunterk, it looks fine.

3 Likes

@guest.r have you ever thought of making a PC CRT Monitor preset for both shader and reshade using shadowmask and 1080p+

all shaders are based on TV’s but none outside the Amiga ones are based on CRT PC Monitors, something of it for Dosbox and reshade would be nice seeing that staging is a thing and dosbox ECE is dead

3 Likes

It’s very easy to do a PC VGA preset. Just use a shadow mask and VGA double-scan option.

• Mask 10 + shadowmask option is very good for 1080p and 1440p.
  • Mask 4 is a very good option for 4k out-of-the-box.

This is a good start, but there are also many good options for mask mitigation using base full-strength masks.

4 Likes

I don’t do much dos emulation so I might be wrong but from my tests @1080p to get things to stay “tidy” and having a good screen size is better to use integer overscale:

This is set to VGA in the install and in the core options and VGA double scan in the shaders parameters:

Integer overscale on

Integer scale off

As I said I don’t do much dos emulation lately so I might be missing some settings or knowledge. Also in the example above I used mask 7 but I think mask 10 can be similar.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems you need at least 6x scale for VGA doublescan to work correctly. Also, for 1080p, arguably mask 0,5, or 7 transformed to shadow mask are better choices than higher pixel masks, unless you’re emulating an untypical high pitch display. Many pc monitors from the 90s on also had aperture grille masks, so you might as well just leave it at that if you prefer it.

2 Likes