New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

So you’re saying that Sega Brightness Fix = On, is more accurate? I didn’t know this. I’ve been using Gamma_C, Gamma In/Out and Post CRT Brightness. To me, I’ve been getting enough brightness control using those alone.

I thought Sega Brightness Fix = Off was more accurate and On might have been more of a brightness Hack to overcome limitations of the original hardware.

5 Likes

It’s not a good idea to use luma fix for saturn, at least not with current values. Max brightness is 232 not 225 which means loss of detail. 255/239 bad - 255/247 good

Luma fix 0.00

Corrected

Corrected

4 Likes

@guest.r would it be possible to implement some kind of mitigation interaction setting strictly for shadow masks to help reduce moire similar to what you just did with slot mask?

2 Likes

I read “Saturn 2D” only. Looks like regular Saturn games doesn’t need it. Dunno what the core is doing here. But i would still check on what you wrote algebraically one more time. :grin:

You can overcome the limitation of the original HW in a less nitpicky way, but this is supposed to be the nitpicky way.

4 Likes

Oh maybe “2D” is the difference between VDP1 and VDP2. I absolutely don’t know how the core works haha :skull:, only thing i notice is that some games will look better with imgColor.rgb * (255.0 / 247.0) but i don’t know the list unfortunately.

3 Likes

Unfortunately there is image color logic involved, making it quite impossible to guess and mitigate the irregularities.

If it comforts one, the crude shadowmask is more or less intended for 4k resolutions, especially with curvature.

I would give the shifted mask 10.0 a chance with 1080p and 1440p presets, unless you are really after a very low “TVL” look here.

3 Likes

I see. It’s all good it was just a curiosity, I’ve been dealing with moire since forever now so I’m pretty use to it. My shadow mask presets are still on the way regardless and I’ll be sticking to the first settings you told me about which is mask 6, mask size 2 and mask stagger 3 which I’ll use for 1080p then use mask 10 for 1440p and mask 12 for 4k. Everything should still work out that way. Thank you for the feedback.

3 Likes

I like your presets, they’re excellent, and if you’ve seen my posts I’ve always tried to mix the CRT-Guest with the Super XBR and ScaleFX. Unfortunately I had a cold shower when I saw the difficulty of my PC to manage everything starting from the simple PlayStation. I had to take a step back and decided to just use the guest advance with nothing else. Anyway, great job and thanks for the help.

2 Likes

ok , i didn’t try PSX yet… i don’t have knowledge about emulating PSX with shader… last time i tried was just with duckstation stantalone and simple upscaling.

@guest.r your shader is good on PSX in retroarch ? what native resolution do you advice for 1080p with your shader? and what preset ? (advanced HD i guess)

1 Like

I already posted a standard version preset a bit above, which is nice for PSX games with 3x-4x internal resolution.

Otherwise even the standard version is quite good, HD can be even better, but is missing magic glow. NTSC version can also be very nice due some features like resolution scaling.

3 Likes

Hey @guest.r which number do I set mask shift on for shadow mask on 1440p. I’m just now noticing you need a different number for different resolutions, I noticed this AFTER I just put out my new update lol. I thought just changing the mask itself would do the trick but I also have to tweak the mask stagger as well.

So for 1080p I have mask 6, mask size 2, mask shift 3.

For 4k I see it needs to be mask 12, mask size 2, mask shift 7.50??

For 1440p I assume it will be mask 10, mask size 2 and mask shift???

That’s where I’m stuck at, I don’t know the mask shift number for 1440p that it needs to be on. Should be a easy quick fix once I get the numbers right.

1 Like

I remember mentioning to you that it’s not scalable and the best way would be to go close to the screen and try the 32 possible mask stagger values. Of course you can also use in between values manually as well.

If you have a 4K screen, you should be able to test even the lower resolutions like 1440p as well as 1080p by turning off the scaling in your display driver settings and again going up close to the screen to see where the “phosphors” will land.

I’m sure your eyes won’t lead you astray if you give them the opportunity.

I see you’re everywhere tonight.

What makes you think I’m gaming on a pc? This is why I was directly addressing guest himself. All I’m asking for is a simple number for the mask shift setting for 1440p displays. I can’t test that myself since I don’t have a 1440p display nor do I game on a pc where I can change driver settings. I assume since 4k needed 7.50 mask shift then 1440p will fall somewhere around 4.50 or 5.50

That’s fine. Mask shift should be the half of the mask total width in pixels.

The fractional part is doing something else here and is influencing vertical ‘line thickness’.

You could also be good with mask 6, mask size 4.0 and shift 6.0.

Or mask 12, size 2.0 and shift 7.5 (because you need doubled vertical thickness regarding mask size).

It should be mask 10, size 2.0 and shift 4.0.

3 Likes

This is why you’re the man, simple answer and you get straight to the point. That’s all the info I needed thank you. I’ll go update my pack real fast. I’ll check those other 4k settings out too.

1 Like

To see that you’d have to be “everywhere” as well not so?

Can you change your resolution to 1440p from within RetroArch?

It’s possible that a device or your display itself might offer different scaling options. That’s not a PC exclusive feature.

1 Like

@guest.r those 4k settings were a nice bonus, they looked easier on the eyes so ended up using them as well. Thank you once again for the help, new link just got put up.

2 Likes

Just a thought…mask 10 setup looks nice, but differently compared with mask 6 when shifted.

If you don’t like it you might use same mask settings for 1080p and 1440p.

Mask 6 size 2.0 shift 3.0 looks robust enough on 1440p.

2 Likes

I can’t even tell since I can’t test it lol. Which settings look more easier on the eyes to you?

Or if you can post screen shots of the 2 diff settings so I can see that would be good too

1 Like

Mask 10 setup:

Mask 6 setup:

2 Likes