New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

1 Like

this some try…

last is without xbr lv2 standalone

and the others are with it !

not so bad…

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the help, I made other changes and I feel satisfied, always starting from the famous gest preset I only changed some values ​​of the “brighteness settings” section and the value of “horizontal sharpness” and “substractive sharpness” - they are very satisfied, tomorrow I share the preset.

3 Likes

some different tries …

2 Likes

Hey, @ROBMARK85,

Don’t let any technicalities prevent you from unleashing those awesome presets, we’re here to assist.

Dark in the forum, but bright in real life? That sounds like the markings of a great preset.

I put viewing tips on most of my presets probably for the same reason.

I’m sure we can help you learn how to post your settings correctly. You can also zip your preset files and host them using a service like Mega for example.

2 Likes

Cyber ​​thank you very much for your help, really. I’m almost there, I think I got what I wanted and I’d like to share it, but I need some more time, then hopefully I’ll share the slang.p file with the Mega app first for those interested. Thank you with all my heart.

3 Likes

I ask for your help, I’m undecided how to set the “Bright Boost Dark Pixel” value, I put some reference photos:

Set to .1.40 Set to 1.35 Set to 1.30

Calculating that the photos are darker than they should be, what value would you recommend? And the last step before packing everything, using it for me and sharing it. Thank you with all my heart

3 Likes

hard to say…

maybe 1.35 … but actually it’s hard to say… :wink:

2 Likes

some others tries in my case… playing just with the saturation / glow strengh / and DCI > modern

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I made a lot of attempts these days, and I realized that the Guest settings were the best ever, but at the same time that there was too much brightness and clarity in the final image for the my taste. In the end I think I found the right way fiddling with only this small group of values, and I think I found an image that is also close to the brightness of the classic CRT, smooth enough without using other interpolation shaders (my GPU thanks) and overall beautiful to look at. Every other modification gave me the sense of spoiling and breaking something. I hope I’ve got you right, but from what I see from my smartphone it seems so, now it has to pass the test on my 24-inch screen for the PC.

1 Like

Does anyone please know the various differences between the different types of display gamut, and Lut Colors ?

This is with the “Modern” color profile

3 Likes

Gamut profiles are to be set acordingly to your display calibration. Example, if your gamut coverage is very near DCI-P3, then select this gamut for more authentic retro colors… Most displays use something more vivid than sRGB and don’t reach 100% DCI or Adobe gamut, so you can select the “modern” profile as a compromise. Otherwise the colors on your display might be more saturated than on a crt tv, which couldn’t display certain hues.

Lut colors are pretty much self explaining. First two bring the colors to the sony trinitron feel, third is a nec-multisync color calibration, 4th an older NTSC standard.

You don’t need to tinker with these unless you want something specific though.

2 Likes

The pictures might be darker in part to them being viewed when downscaled. If viewed at the proper native resolution, screen size or zoomed in they should appear brighter.

The other factor affecting brightness is probably the amount of lossy jpeg compression being applied to the images. This removes a considerable amount of brightness and colour information from the screenshots. You can use try to minimize the amount of compression used or use a lossless format like PNG.

IrfanView has the ability to minimize the jpeg compression while keeping filesizes within a particular value for example the 4096Kb limit for images shared in these forums.

1 Like

Thanks @guest.r , in the light of what you have kindly explained I will leave these settings as I found them in your work. And thanks @cyber for your explanation, now I understand why the images I share are far from what I see on screen when I play.

2 Likes

What are these Guest settings you’re referring to?
I really love that look.

1 Like

Hi @Nfp0 - I’m referring to a February 4th post where Guest shared his preset. Given that this work, albeit beautiful, pushed too much on the glow for my personal tastes, I set up a real study to try to reduce and optimize this characteristic without distorting the final result too much, bringing it closer to my tastes. You could copy the code and make changes to these parameters. When I get to test it on my 24 inch MSI Gaming screen, then it will be my official shader, and I’ll also do a study on the NTSC preset that he kindly shared a few days ago. In the meantime, you could make his work your own, and apply these small changes:

If you try it please leave feedback especially to my edits, thanks

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll give it a try.

But I’ll have to change quite a few things, because I use a 4K screen, so the look won’t be exactly the same.

Are you talking about this post?

1 Like

Yes, I confirm. Anyway I believe in your case just change the “Mask size” setting to 2. Let me know.

1 Like

so in my case this is my choice for the moment… on my 13" laptop screen

quest advanced + xbr lv2 standalone (guest preset + gamma 2,40 + glow strength 0.25)

Envoi en cours : [email protected] 05448.png…

@guest i saw there is a sega brightness fix … what is this option? i saw sonic on megadrive is a little bit dark… and with this option look better right… is it only for genesis/megadrive or some other sega platform / arcade ? thx in advance… and really thx everybody for your work the result is so good.

3 Likes

It’s intended for the Genesis (Megadrive), 32x, CD and Saturn 2D (as documented in the grade shader). Digital output from emulator cores doesn’t fill the whole brightness range with these consoles and you can enable this option to do it accurately.

4 Likes